• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The R is hideous, but nice on the inside. I like the old G wagon as I like the old LR Discovery, the exterior of the GL leaves me a bit cold. Plus, I am looking to transport young kids, muddy baseball equipment, warehouse club stuff etc etc, not sure I want to do that in a 80K car.

I've been assured it's just 50k.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
$50K + 30K worth of sausages (every threak comes back to Pio's sausage
revolve.gif
)

worship.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
We tested the GL because of the 3rd row and it's a pain for car seats, still looking at our options. Friends have an Escalade and the 3rd row is much more useful than the GL.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
yes but the negative is, it's an Escalade.

Very true and not something I'd be buying, but the seat setup is far more useful for 3 car seats.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
The X5 only comes as a 5 seater...

I just found out yesterday that the XC90 comes with a third bench, so I'm going to go test drive one over the weekend...

Anyone have any other ideas?

T6 is great for fuel economy, and decent power. The V8 is a excellent and powerful engine though, if gas milage isn't a huge issue.

Off the top of my head, can't think of anything else other than the VW Toureg or the Infiniti FX. I haven't a clue if either offer a 3rd row to accomodate 2 more seats, though.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My wife had an XC90, about a 2005 model year, on lease. She had the 5 cyl turbo, AWD. Loved the car, felt immensely safe, good kid mover (not that we have kids). However, it was a bit underpowered when driving up mountain passes. However, they moved to an eight cyl engine, and it seemed there were some service issues with that engine. All in all however, based on her experience, a great car.

There is a T6 engine option too. Kind of the happy medium between the I5 and the V8. This seems to be a popular option, as I see many T6 XC 90s on the road.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody with any thoughts about GMC/chevy lines of Suv's?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
There is a T6 engine option too. Kind of the happy medium between the I5 and the V8. This seems to be a popular option, as I see many T6 XC 90s on the road.

That's good to hear. Can't remember if that was available or not for her model year. Overall, the 5 cyl T was not bad, just noticed it on a few road trips. Have heard from a few owners of the newer eight though of the problems.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
looking at the Yukon Hybrid this weekend, will let you know.

Doesn't Lexus have a hybrid now? I'd go with them or the Land Cruiser over the Yukon.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Doesn't Lexus have a hybrid now? I'd go with them or the Land Cruiser over the Yukon.

looking at the Lexus also (and Inifiniti), nothing in Toyota's lineup dazzles me. The Land Cruiser is supposedly a good vehicle, but not crazy about the styling/price. Plus, I am trying to do what I can to halp the beleaguered US Auto Workers union.

I do shudder at the thought of driving in a Yukon for a service appt and driving out in a Chevy Aveo loaner car
eek.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
looking at the Lexus also (and Inifiniti), nothing in Toyota's lineup dazzles me. The Land Cruiser is supposedly a good vehicle, but not crazy about the styling/price. Plus, I am trying to do what I can to halp the beleaguered US Auto Workers union.

I drove the big Q. Tons of room, nice electronics, good but not great acceleration. Brakes were not confidence inspiring and I describe the cornering like a blind 90 year old that has lost their walker.

I think have have a second row captain's chair option you might like.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The R is hideous, but nice on the inside. I like the old G wagon as I like the old LR Discovery, the exterior of the GL leaves me a bit cold. Plus, I am looking to transport young kids, muddy baseball equipment, warehouse club stuff etc etc, not sure I want to do that in a 80K car.

laugh.gif
In Palm Beach they don't even let the nanny drive the kids around in such a cheap car... I think anything south of $130K is taboo for the kids and south of $250K for the parents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads