• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pimento Cheese; apparently it's a Southern thing?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Not really a cheese I'd go out of my way to get either, but:

LAND O LAKESÂ
00ae.png
Cheddar Cheese is the winner of the 2007 ChefsBest™ Award for Best Taste. The ChefsBest™ Award for Best Taste is awarded to the brand rated highest overall among leading brands. American Culinary ChefsBest™ is the independent judging organization dedicated to recognizing and honoring the best tasting product in America. All of the independent professional chef judges are certified Master Tasters.

Why will argue this to the bitter end. He's the same guy that posted in the "Southern Food Appreciation" thread that all southern food sucks. His rationale is that it is usually prepared by incompetent cooks. Pointing out that italian food made by an incompetent cook sucks didn't seem to register.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...d+appreciation

He's overly argumentative and comically elitist. In fifty years he will be that bitter old codger on the porch (eating the finest English cheddar cheese of course) telling everyone else about how everything sucks.

Get him used to his future by just ignoring him. Or at least not responding, because there are some subjects that he has valuable knowledge on.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
So you'd put $15/lb 5 year old cheddar in pimento cheese?

As quickly as he'd grind prime tenderloin to make meatloaf.
laugh.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Why will argue this to the bitter end. He's the same guy that posted in the "Southern Food Appreciation" thread that all southern food sucks. His rationale is that it is usually prepared by incompetent cooks. Pointing out that italian food made by an incompetent cook sucks didn't seem to register.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...d+appreciation

He's overly argumentative and comically elitist. In fifty years he will be that bitter old codger on the porch (eating the finest English cheddar cheese of course) telling everyone else about how everything sucks.

Get him used to his future by just ignoring him. Or at least not responding, because there are some subjects that he has valuable knowledge on.

I know it. Here is the Why argument:

1st - Pimento cheese is a crap product made with processed cheese, until real southerners chime in and say it isn't made with processed American cheese.
2nd - Processed cheese and cheddar cheese are no different until he learns there is a difference
3rd - Well, the cheese in the link is crap cheddar anyway until he sees that it actually is a decent representative of American cheddar cheese.

The next step is:
4th - Well, I don't like pimento cheese anyway. Well then, go the f@*^ away!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it. Here is the Why argument:

1st - Pimento cheese is a crap product

That's it right there. Sorry, I should have said 'factory-mass-produced-extruded cheese' instead of 'procesed cheese'. Economy of words can bite sometimes.

FLMountainMan is still having reading comprehension problems.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up in the South. We mainly had pimento cheese stuffed celery, but we did eat pimento cheese sandwiches from time to time. I didn't like them as a kid, but have grown to appreciate them a bit more as an adult, more as a cultural thing than anything else. Probably haven't had one in years, though.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's it right there. Sorry, I should have said 'factory-mass-produced-extruded cheese' instead of 'procesed cheese'. Economy of words can bite sometimes.

FLMountainMan is still having reading comprehension problems.

Cheddar cheese isn't extruded at all.

"The term "cheddaring" refers to an alternate form of pressing. The curds are allowed to coagulate into a large mass, cut into medium-sized slabs that are stacked, left to drain, then restacked and left again. When they reach the desired uniform consistency, they are milled into small pieces, placed in cloth-lined molds and pressed for at least 12 hours. After that, they are aged and eventually are sold whole (or cut into small slabs or blocks). The desired curd texture of cheddar is often compared to the striations of meat in a properly cooked chicken breast."

p. 52 - The Cheese Plate by Max MaCalman and David Gibbons

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeez, I feel like the only kid who never knew there was a Santa Claus. I've lived in TX pretty well all my life, and can't remember ever having Pimento cheese on anything. Then again this was San Antonio here.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Jeez, I feel like the only kid who never knew there was a Santa Claus. I've lived in TX pretty well all my life, and can't remember ever having Pimento cheese on anything. Then again this was San Antonio here.

Let me tell you about this fairy that comes and trades kids' teeth for money. . .

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Let me tell you about this fairy that comes and trades kids' teeth for money. . .

laugh.gif
incredibly timely, as I had tooth fairy duty just a week or so ago. More harrowing experience of my life thus far. Maybe next time I'll forgo the pink tutu.

That said, I really don't recall Pimento cheese in San Antonio, at all. None of my friends or family ever had any of it around the house, so even if I was curious...not happening. Besides...now that I think of it, my in-laws have never served it, either.

Now, eating Chicken Fried Steak with flour tortillas - only in S.A.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the South (and now live there again), but I've always thought that pimento cheese was disgusting.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheddar cheese isn't extruded at all.

"The term "cheddaring" refers to an alternate form of pressing. The curds are allowed to coagulate into a large mass, cut into medium-sized slabs that are stacked, left to drain, then restacked and left again. When they reach the desired uniform consistency, they are milled into small pieces, placed in cloth-lined molds and pressed for at least 12 hours. After that, they are aged and eventually are sold whole (or cut into small slabs or blocks). The desired curd texture of cheddar is often compared to the striations of meat in a properly cooked chicken breast."

p. 52 - The Cheese Plate by Max MaCalman and David Gibbons

It actually refers to the location where the process was created, and the garbage cheese used in pimento cheese is extruded. Cheese doesn't naturally form itself into bricks.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It actually refers to the location where the process was created, and the garbage cheese used in pimento cheese is extruded. Cheese doesn't naturally form itself into bricks.

No, you're confused. Cheddar refers to the location where the process was created; cheddaring, on the other hand:

ched·dar·ing [ chÃ
00a9.png
ddəring ]

noun

Definition:

cheese-making process: the process in the manufacture of cheddar cheese when the curd is cut up into small pieces in order to drain the whey

Cheese doesn't naturally form itself into anything. It's placed into a mold or shaped by hand, then sold whole or cut into wedges, bricks, etc.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Cheese doesn't naturally form itself into bricks.
facepalm.gif
Milk doesn't 'naturally' separate itself then turn into cheese either, but that doesn't mean that all cheese is 'processed', despite the fact that that there was a process to produce it. 'Processed' cheese has undergone extra processing on-top of what is normally done to produce cheese, normally involving adding stuff that makes it last longer. I can't comment on whether the cheese usually used in pimento cheese is processed or not, but a normal block of cheddar is not 'processed cheese'. If it was then there would be no such thing as cheese that isn't 'processed', since it goes through no more processing than any other cheese unless you're suckling it directly from the teet of a cow.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

LOL.. and the Roquefort I picked up the other day, I am sure, formed into a wedge shape naturally.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
facepalm.gif

Milk doesn't 'naturally' separate itself then turn into cheese either, but that doesn't mean that all cheese is 'processed', despite the fact that that there was a process to produce it. 'Processed' cheese has undergone extra processing on-top of what is normally done to produce cheese, normally involving adding stuff that makes it last longer.

I think you're missing my point: cheese doesn't magically take a rectangular shape. The cheddar being referenced is extruded in a factory and tastes like trash. The nomenclature on cheese in America has almost no restrictions, so there's abominations like 'mozzarella' behind deli counters that has no resemblance to actual mozzarella. Ditto provolone, cheddar, parmesan, and pretty much every cheese out there. Calling extruded orange brick cheese 'cheddar' because of the 'cheddaring' process (which, by the way, is just a nominalization of the verb form) is a misnomer as well, since most 'cheddar' cheese isn't even cheddared.

Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
LOL.. and the Roquefort I picked up the other day, I am sure, formed into a wedge shape naturally.

You're absolutely correct, it didn't form itself into a wedge shape naturally. It was formed into a round and ripened before being sliced into a wedge. Notice the lack of factory extrusion and the addition of an ageing process and innoculation to produce a distinct cheese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads