• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new car for <$22k

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
i would usually take this opportunity to hate on pio, but hes right. Mid-level suvs = toyota rav 4s and **** like that. Some would even include the x3 and glks in there, but that is obviously debateale. The GL is of the higher end of the SUV scale, and while its not the best, it definitely is closer to such than it is to the worst.

Rav 4 is entry level, Highlander is Mid, 4Runner is Upper Mid, and LandCruiser is the Higher end when it comes to Toyota.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Who in the hell buys a 16 year old kid a brand new car?

Lots of people. Some are more fortunate than others.

I never got a new car but there are many parents who have the means to get their children one if they so please. It may not be a wise decision (or it may be perfectly fine) but it's their own to make.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who in the hell buys a 16 year old kid a brand new car? This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. That, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying used cars/clothing.
WTF? Lots of people. The theory is a new car will be more dependable, have a warranty, incur less running costs (may even have free maintenance), be safer with newer safety technology, and not have any prior accidents/issues. All of which are valid points, the last time I checked.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The GL line is their flagship line. No, my GL is not an AMG, but yes, it is part of the flagship line. Have at it, as you're obviously just trolling.
The GL is not their flagship line, as others have pointed out. I'm not trolling, but it is a matter of perception. I consider a high end SUV to a be Porsche, Range Rover, or a X5-M (
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
).

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Lots of people. Some are more fortunate than others.

I never got a new car but there are many parents who have the means to get their children one if they so please. It may not be a wise decision (or it may be perfectly fine) but it's their own to make.

thank you.
worship.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
The GL is not their flagship line, as others have pointed out.

I'm not trolling, but it is a matter of perception. I consider a high end SUV to a be Porsche, Range Rover, or a X5-M (
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
).

Could you really consider a X5 high-end.

When I think high-end, I ultimately think Range-Rover, G-class, Cayenne. The X5 would compete against MB's midlevel ML.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

When I think high-end, I ultimately think Range-Rover, G-class, Cayenne. The X5 would compete against MB's midlevel ML.

? depending on the model, cayenne is also in the same class as a regular x5

x5m is 85k btw

and yeah, gl is mid range, g is high end

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF? Lots of people. The theory is a new car will be more dependable, have a warranty, incur less running costs (may even have free maintenance), be safer with newer safety technology, and not have any prior accidents/issues. All of which are valid points, the last time I checked.
Those are valid points and I could see this for a car after or around the time they graduate high-school, but most high-school kids are still learning the ropes of driving and start out with beaters. That way, if they run it into a tree during the first snow-storm, it's no big loss. That, plus they won't have to pay for full-coverage insurance because it's just a beater.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
? depending on the model, cayenne is also in the same class as a regular x5

x5m is 85k btw

and yeah, gl is mid range, g is high end

Very true on the Cayenne, but by a definition based on price instead of levels, we could almost consider the ML AMG high-end? A loaded GL is essentially close in price to that of a X-5M.

...the G-class is definitely MB's high-end top-level SUV.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are valid points and I could see this for a car after or around the time they graduate high-school, but most high-school kids are still learning the ropes of driving and start out with beaters. That way, if they run it into a tree during the first snow-storm, it's no big loss. That, plus they won't have to pay for full-coverage insurance because it's just a beater.
Some parents care about their kids surviving that crash with the tree during that first snow-storm and have this crazy idea that a new car with more advanced safety features will increase their child's chance of survival. Crazy.. A new Civic, is what, 16K? To a lot of folks, buying used is an unnecessary hassle.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

There's big difference between the M version and the regular X-5. By the same token I would consider the M5 I high end sedan even though a 535 is clearly not.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the people that came in saying buying a new car is alright. I was under the impression that I was the only person who would be driving a new car as their first car.

Seriously if I say buying 'used ****' was that offensive to everyone then I take it back and I'm sorry. I clearly stated I needed a new car, half the people came in telling me I was a spoilt brat and the rest told me to get a used car despite me saying I needed a new car.

It's like the whole thrift store/B&amp;S thing here. Why would you tell someone that has no experience whatsoever to go lurk the B&amp;S or a thrift store? If you go to a store buy new clothes you have a sales or whatever who can get you what you need (ok this is to a certain degree from a fashion standpoint) but yea. If your old thrifted Allen Edmonds need a resole, well you're pretty experienced so you can just go find a cobbler to get it resoled or something. If my new Allen Edmonds needed a resole and I had no idea what to do I can bring it back to Allen Edmonds and hopefully they can help me out a little since I did buy the shoe from them.

Unfortunately I'm no experienced B&amp;S/Thrifting person and I'm definitely not experienced at all in the field of cars. My sister got a RAV4 and when I'm at home I occassionally get phone calls from the dealership checking up with her.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Thank you for the people that came in saying buying a new car is alright. I was under the impression that I was the only person who would be driving a new car as their first car.

I had new cars but I see nothing wrong with buying used, especially given depreciation and the improved build quality of cars built today. The car I had worked out very well for me because I was able to get good use out of it for a number of years and over lots of miles.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The GL is not their flagship line, as others have pointed out.

I'm not trolling, but it is a matter of perception. I consider a high end SUV to a be Porsche, Range Rover, or a X5-M (
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
).

A GL 450 is simply not a mid-level SUV. That statement, along with the price you gave for it (to the tune of about 50% off), is quite incorrect. Carry on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads