• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic skins.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That peccary shirt case is quite charming.

I'm not crazy about peccari shoes..

My dad used to have a pair in the seventies and they were just plain ugly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I'm not crazy about peccari shoes..

My dad used to have a pair in the seventies and they were just plain ugly.

I've this fascination with the Fighting Seal that Church's used to use.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've this fascination with the Fighting Seal that Church's used to use.

The seventies were so unPC ...Everything was available for the right price...

I still know people selling some exotic skins on the side but it is harder to get by nowadays.

Antelope is just exquisite.

My dad used to wear real daim shoes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
I know that there are crocodile species native to the United States, but I though that mostly what you found here, particularly in Louisiana, was alligator.

The only crocodile species native to the United States is the American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus). It is found only at the extreme southern tip of Florida. It is not harvested commercially anywhere in its range, which also includes coastal areas of Mexico, Central America and northern South America. There are three other species of crocodile in the New World--the Morelet's Crocodile (east coast of Mexico), the Orinoco Crocodile (northern South America) and the Cuban Crocodile (Cuba--highly endangered).

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I've heard Kangaroo is incredibly resilient. I think it's used in the best soccer shoes now. I'm not sure if it's often used in dress shoes.

No offense intended, but those shark AE's are really super ugly. Remarkably so.

Kangaroo is not an exotic skin

Perun

Reaction score
I'm a snake lover, and naturally own snake skin shoes.

Here's some pictures of my first pair (bought exactly 6 years ago).

Foto092-2.jpg

Foto090-2.jpg

Foto086-2.jpg

Note that the pictures were taken with 3 white lights shining on them, and further tweaking, to make them look as original as possible. They are just yellow now.
Back in the day when I bought them, they were white as teeth in a toothpaste commercial, and I would get 20-30 compliments on a daily basis, from random people. Now, this is not the case anymore.

Here's 2 pictures to better highlight the yellowing of snakeskin, featuring the shoes with same-aged belt, and the same belt brand new:
Foto172.jpg

Foto173.jpg

I'ts been a couple of months since I bought the new belt, and already it's turning yellow.
Some say they like the look of the yellowing python leather, but I'm not among them.

Regardless of how good you may think Python looks; this is what will eventually happen to them.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I think if there was an award for the most hideous shoes ever posted on here, you would have just won the Gold Medal.

Where on earth do you live where these could be considered remotely stylish ?, Mexico

20 to 30 compliments per day !!!!

Perun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
I think if there was an award for the most hideous shoes ever posted on here, you would have just won the Gold Medal.

Where on earth do you live where these could be considered remotely stylish ?, Mexico

20 to 30 compliments per day !!!!

Knowing that people would love my new shoes, I actually counted the number of compliments on the very first day I put them on. I got 62 in 9 hours.

Even now, with the yellowing, deformed model, women drool over my shoes on a semi-daily basis. Men go as far as "I wish I could wear shoes like those...".

Where do I live? Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Same reactions during my vacations in various places through Eastern Europe, but also Italy (they are Italian, after all).

So you see, not everybody is as tasteless as you, dear sir. :)

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perun
Knowing that people would love my new shoes, I actually counted the number of compliments on the very first day I put them on. I got 62 in 9 hours.

Even now, with the yellowing, deformed model, women drool over my shoes on a semi-daily basis. Men go as far as "I wish I could wear shoes like those...".

Where do I live? Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Same reactions during my vacations in various places through Eastern Europe, but also Italy (they are Italian, after all).

So you see, not everybody is as tasteless as you, dear sir. :)

Amsterdam, now it makes sense.

Perun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If you enjoy them, thats what counts. However they are not in the same range of shoes we are used to discussing here.
I've so far seen 3 guys post very good looking shoes here, so I wouldn't come to the same conclusion quite so easily.

But yes, I have to agree that most men here adhere to a pretty conformist, straight out dull style; bragging about shoes that I would pay 20$ for at the very most, and then wear while painting my ceiling.
That's their choice though, and I feel lucky to not be in that style category of "old fart librarian cognac drinker".

I'm counting on you to be as offended as I am (absolutely 0). ;-)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
lol8[1].gif
^ Sorry man, you have it completely wrong. Your shoes are terrible, I am sorry to say.

Spoo speaks the truth.
teacha.gif

latkaguy

Reaction score
For those who like alligator, crocodile, snake or lizard skins, let me put in a word for the much more durable ostrich leg skin, which has a similar look. I have a pair of slip on loafers made for me by Dophen in brown ostrich leg skin leather, and I am very happy with them. Never was much of a fan of the pimple look of much ostrich skin leather. I find them so ugly that the reputed durability of ostrich skin becomes a liability. But the leg skins are another thing altogether.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads