• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
we see both on SF - e.g. we can compare the two opposite approaches to Rooby that we have on the forum: whnay and iammatt on one side who just pick a fabric and stand there, letting the guy "do his thing"; foo on the other side who has to "fight" with Mariano to get the sleeves he wants and the details he thinks are better, then sends all his stuf back to have buttons added, etc... All seem happy with the output so I guess the "right" tailor is the one that makes both active and passive customers feel good about the clothes they get and the "experience".

Even Foo, though, doesn't deviate from the house cut too much. He might waver on the details, but his Rubinacci still looks like Rubinacci. I think a more apt example of what I have in mind was the big Tom Ford debate, where Foo was insistent that a would-be Tom Ford customer would be better off going to a bespoke tailor for Tom Ford styling.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My experience may not be representative, but here is what Mr. Hitchcock told me.

Basically, A&S would be very flexible about any number of details you could imagine, and more or less inflexible on certain points of house style. If you want pagoda shoulders or a very stiff front, you will be polititely but firmly refused.

But virtually everything else is on the table. They are perfectly happy to cut a slimmer coat for younger clients (or for anyone, on request) and have even used that as a selling point. You can play with the lapels and pockets and button point and lots of other details, and even some non-details like shoulder width. What you can't do is try to get them to make a coat that is, at the DNA level, not one of "theirs." I don't think they have a list of things they won't do, but most of them would be pretty obvious to those of us with a basic familiarity with their style.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
we see both on SF - e.g. we can compare the two opposite approaches to Rooby that we have on the forum: whnay and iammatt on one side who just pick a fabric and stand there, letting the guy "do his thing"; foo on the other side who has to "fight" with Mariano to get the sleeves he wants and the details he thinks are better, then sends all his stuf back to have buttons added, etc... All seem happy with the output so I guess the "right" tailor is the one that makes both active and passive customers feel good about the clothes they get and the "experience".

I think you're misreading me. For the most part, I do as Bill or Matt, and simply pick out cloth. Hell, for my dinner suit, I just asked Mariano to choose a midnight blue mohair and take charge of how the lapels would be shaped. I didn't know what the finished product was going to look like until I received it.

Generally, all I do is stipulate format: how many buttons, what kind of pockets, etc. That is the bare minimum any client needs to stipulate. I don't tell them how to shape or position things.

The process of ordering my dinner suit was not unique because I was more picky about how the details were executed, but because I hazarded a format that was different from what was initially suggested.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think you're misreading me. For the most part, I do as Bill or Matt, and simply pick out cloth. Hell, for my dinner suit, I just asked Mariano to choose a midnight blue mohair and take charge of how the lapels would be shaped. I didn't know what the finished product was going to look like until I received it.

Generally, all I do is stipulate format: how many buttons, what kind of pockets, etc. That is the bare minimum any client needs to stipulate. I don't tell them how to shape or position things.

The process of ordering my dinner suit was not unique because I was more picky about how the details were executed, but because I hazarded a format that was different from what was initially suggested.

brer_rabbit_and_tar-baby.jpg

tailorgod

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a picture of Tom Ford wearing his A&S white tie?
If I remember correctly it was much closer fitting than what we have seen elsewhere from A&S.
Which raises the question why he went for A&S in the first place!
Probably helping each other out, marketing wise!
It almost looks like propaganda what Anda Rowland is constantly repeating in various publications on the web, and not only she. Apparently all this "...best tailors in the world..., so comfortable" talk is finally paying off, with more and more men "fooled" by such promises.
It's quite interesting that so many other tailoring firms don't do the same big mouth talk...

We cannot expect every bespoke garment to be top notch when it comes to style or proportions (valid for all bespoke tailors), but at least it should fit!
BTW, letting celebrities walk around in horrible clothes is not really good marketing.
Or maybe it is, given that so many people nowadays care more about the name on the label, who knows?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorgod
If I remember correctly it was much closer fitting than what we have seen elsewhere from A&S.
It almost looks like propaganda what Anda Rowland is constantly repeating in various publications on the web, and not only she. Apparently all this "...best tailors in the world..., so comfortable" talk is finally paying off, with more and more men "fooled" by such promises.
It's quite interesting that so many other tailoring firms don't do the same big mouth talk...

Bull. *******. ****.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

We cannot expect every bespoke garment to be top notch when it comes to style or proportions (valid for all bespoke tailors), but at least it should fit!
BTW, letting celebrities walk around in horrible clothes is not really good marketing.
Or maybe it is, given that so many people nowadays care more about the name on the label, who knows?

This is supposed to be evidence that there is no "hate" only honest assessments of individual garments?
rolleyes.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is supposed to be evidence that there is no "hate" only honest assessments of individual garments?
rolleyes.gif

Hm, I think tailorgod's post might be another candidate for the dubbing/subtitling meme...

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
He doesn't grasp how things work in the custom suiting world.

A good recent example is Whnay's dinner jacket.

If it were me I wonder what Mariano Rubinacci would have thought if I requested a lapel width about half the shoulder line? Would he have shown me the door, cut the lapels the way Whnay's came out, or would we discuss whether the proportion I requested was either too fashiony or timeless fashion?

I suppose in bespoke tailoring "one's name" struggles with "what the customer wants." At the outset it's probably best as a bespoke customer to match yourself with a bespoke operation's "house style," and tweak from there.

Ford, I think, was enamored with A&S for their production ability of a tailored garment [for himself, not for his label]. It was the struggle described above that ultimately resulted in his statement. That still does not change the varying levels of make I have seen out there from A&S.

Although the names and faces have changed at A&S, about the only customer of theirs that I have responded with "I love your suit, who is the maker?" would be Fred Astaire.

- M

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Hm, I think tailorgod's post might be another candidate for the dubbing/subtitling meme...
Hitler ranting about A&S would be sweet. Anyone want to start a collaboration thread in DT for ideas? --Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Hitler ranting about A&S would be sweet. Anyone want to start a collaboration thread in DT for ideas?

--Andre

Das Drape hat mir VERRATEN!!!!!!

Done -- see DT.

tailorgod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My experience may not be representative, but here is what Mr. Hitchcock told me.

Basically, A&S would be very flexible about any number of details you could imagine, and more or less inflexible on certain points of house style. If you want pagoda shoulders or a very stiff front, you will be polititely but firmly refused.

But virtually everything else is on the table. They are perfectly happy to cut a slimmer coat for younger clients (or for anyone, on request) and have even used that as a selling point. You can play with the lapels and pockets and button point and lots of other details, and even some non-details like shoulder width. What you can't do is try to get them to make a coat that is, at the DNA level, not one of "theirs." I don't think they have a list of things they won't do, but most of them would be pretty obvious to those of us with a basic familiarity with their style.

Requesting any of those possibilities would demand a very experienced customer. From what I understand many men just pop into A&S demanding a suit or coat and let them do their "thing".
What we "h8ers" criticize are the often poor results of that procedure.

Bull. *******. ****.
Please name any other tailoring firm that is so often "quoted" to be the world's best tailors...

Ironically Anda Rowland quote Tom Ford to have said just that...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Requesting any of those possibilities would demand a very experienced customer. From what I understand many men just pop into A&S demanding a suit or coat and let them do their "thing".What we "h8ers" criticize are the often poor results of that procedure.

Isn't that what happens at virtually every tailor in the world? So A&S will do both: help the client who pops in, and try to accomodate the ones with distinct ideas. Sounds like a fine approach to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads