• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Noochie

Reaction score
Any recommended glasses brands as far as thin wire frames go? I have a long, slender face that works best with wire frames with lenses that are close together and more trapezoidal in shape. I've got an old Polo pair in a dark blue color, but they are showing a lot of wear and I'd like to get a new pair in a gold color. My local eye glasses retailer has a relatively barren stock of such, so suggestions would be awesome.

Byrd

Reaction score
City Connection, was wondering if you worked with optometrists/ophthalmologists or do your solely run an eyewear gallery?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dragonxking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Check out Super Vision Optical on Robertson just S. of Wilshire. They have a football field of frames. It's like the equivalent of 6 regular eyeglass stores. You'll find something close.

cool, thanks for the tip. i'll have to make the trip up there one of these days to check it out. all this rain and traffic right now, will turn what is normally a 2 hour trip into a 5 hour one...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Byrd
City Connection, was wondering if you worked with optometrists/ophthalmologists or do your solely run an eyewear gallery?
I have a shop and am an optician. I also work closely with an optometrist who also works for an ophthalmologist. Are you checking my credibility? hahaha...

Byrd

Reaction score
Hahaha, no actually I am a optometry student at Ohio State and will be graduating next year..... trying to get out on the job search early any help would be much appreciated!!!

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
CC

I will be buying a new pair of prescription glasses this summer. What would you suggest as a conservative design that is timeless? I do not care whether the frame is metal or plastic but I have a disdain for the big chunky plastic frames that few people can pull off. I don't want any gaudy badges (i.e. big prada) or flashy shiny bits. I don't want to look rich, only like a good precorious student. I might add that I look young for my age (19 yrs).

I will be wearing them for the next 3 years since that is when the insurance can be used again.

Thanks

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Byrd
Hahaha, no actually I am a optometry student at Ohio State and will be graduating next year..... trying to get out on the job search early any help would be much appreciated!!!

Great to hear! Luxx is always looking to hire at their locations. Good luck in your search!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
CC

I will be buying a new pair of prescription glasses this summer. What would you suggest as a conservative design that is timeless? I do not care whether the frame is metal or plastic but I have a disdain for the big chunky plastic frames that few people can pull off. I don't want any gaudy badges (i.e. big prada) or flashy shiny bits. I don't want to look rich, only like a good precorious student. I might add that I look young for my age (19 yrs).

I will be wearing them for the next 3 years since that is when the insurance can be used again.

Thanks

Depends on your budget but timeless pieces would probably be something like: Paul Smith, Oliver People, Salt, Kio Yamato, and I am sure there are more, I just can't think of many. But there are MANY companies that have timeless pieces without big logos.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a frame similar to the NDG-1 but wider? I need like a 52-53ish? Second, does anyone have any experience with the website www.awesomeeyeglasses.com? I was wondering if they were a legit website. I might nab those Oliver Peoples Denison, though I would prefer if they were a bit deeper...

Brinbro

Reaction score
Hey, CC, know anything about Beausoleil frames? They've got a frame that was perfect on my face but I'm just wondering if they're worth the price and if you had any insight that'd be great. Thanks.

bakatora

Reaction score
Shot you a PM CC!

xanatos

Reaction score
I'm looking to get Oliver Peoples eyeglasses.
I've always been so confused about prescriptions and all that crap even though i've been wearing them forever
Do you get an exam at the oliver peoples store? Or do you bring your script in from an optometrist?
I know dr's are weird about handing out their scripts they did the exam for
and are Oliver Peoples worth the price? I've always only paid like 140 bucks for glasses and never more but hey since I have to wear them all the time might as well look good right?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I'm looking to get Oliver Peoples eyeglasses.
I've always been so confused about prescriptions and all that crap even though i've been wearing them forever
Do you get an exam at the oliver peoples store? Or do you bring your script in from an optometrist?
I know dr's are weird about handing out their scripts they did the exam for
and are Oliver Peoples worth the price? I've always only paid like 140 bucks for glasses and never more but hey since I have to wear them all the time might as well look good right?

RX: Done my optometrist.
-usually they will do the eye exam, and sometimes they will dispense eyewear also. They should be able to give you the RX though. Some will ask that you pay $5-10 extra to take the RX.

Oliver Peoples Store: I do not know if they have an optometrist on sight. I wouldn't be surprised if they did though, because the founder of Oliver People is an optometrist.

Oliver People's quality is decent and fair value. They have a timeless style. They are very classic and simple styles. Nothing too over the top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics