• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Yeah I gotta third the gay thing. I know Labelking is a institution and all as well as being gay but he kind of sets a bad precedent. It just spirals out of control in DT with the usual imitation threads and stupid jokes. I'm not above a few sexist/racist/homophobic jokes but it just feels a little grimy lately.
+1.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
It's an endless struggle on which I've commented many times. Vox is very smart and isn't the problem. Nor is labelking. The problem is that the both of them have a very dry, dark wit and require a certain level of literacy that, quite frankly, many forum members don't have (whether because they aren't native speakers of English or just because they are dumb).

As such, many don't get the jokes but want to play along and end up ruining it, OR don't get the jokes and therefore think that the forum is expressing an attitude that it really doesn't have.... i.e. it's a place that is welcoming to homophobes.

Banning use of certain words will stifle the wit of some very clever members. As such, the best thing to do it just report individual cases and/or call it out in the thread in question. For example, I did that this morning with HWS's thread about "**** no **** poal" whatever.

FWIW, I find that the overall attitude of the forum has gotten much better over the past year or two in its appreciation and protection of its gheyz. Mostly it's because GoSurface and mack are adorable, and I'm a drama-lama queen ***** and will yell at you if you fall out of line.
wink.gif

HOWEVER, yes, in the past coupla weeks it's getting a little out of hand again, like it does about once a year.

Well said, rach. You've done a much better job than I could have articulating some of what I was thinking.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Labelking stopped being funny after his second thread. It's not bothersome because it's offensive, it's bothersome because it's inane and boring.

Solution: be clever.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Yeah I gotta third the gay thing. I know Labelking is a institution and all as well as being gay but he kind of sets a bad precedent. It just spirals out of control in DT with the usual imitation threads and stupid jokes. I'm not above a few sexist/racist/homophobic jokes but it just feels a little grimy lately.
I agree with this 100%. I think LK is sort of the anti-AF, but nevertheless also sometimes likes to push things a little farther than where they really ought to go, even in jest, even with a dark sense of humor. As such, as i mentioned, the best thing to do is call out individual posts/threads on those threads as 'course correction.' Self-policing is the best policy and the mods do a great job of taking it from there if it gets too far.
Originally Posted by why
Labelking stopped being funny after his second thread. It's not bothersome because it's offensive, it's bothersome because it's inane and boring. Solution: be clever.
Exactly! I want to make an heroic couplet for you, but it's been one of those weeks.
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Labelking stopped being funny after his second thread. It's not bothersome because it's offensive, it's bothersome because it's inane and boring.

Solution: be clever.

Yes. Too many of the jokes sound like the last guy in the locker room trying to be popular by adding something to the conversation. Not funny at all. I haven't read LK's threads, so I'm responding to the weak efforts by others.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys see these offensive posts?? Anyway, the solution is to punish tiecollector, bowtielover, and Thinkderm.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Yes, as well as making fun of Jews. I've reported several of his posts.
I actually don't usually read LK's OR Vox's posts/threads (unless Vox happens to ask or call me by name, which coincidentally has been happening a lot lately... hmmm.) Lk is Lk and once you've read a few, they're all the same. Nevertheless, again, I think the best thing to do is call it out on the thread in question in public, let us self-police, and then report it (as you mention.) Over-indulgence of the ban-hammer or teh squirrel function... not so much. The thread that confused me most lately is how Meister's "Hitler responds to Scott Brown" got so many "OMG that was so funny" posts. I just don't find Hitler funny, call me crazy. Especially when the implication of the whole joke is that Hitler gave money to Obama's campaign, supporting him, and now is angry that a republican won. I'm the only one who read it as Hitler = Democrats? Are people really that amused by "clever" dubbing that they just miss that? Anyway, I digress. I figured more people would have complained, but before I could post and say, "WTF meister?" there were an assortment of heil-fives. It seems like the forum is going through another bout of its twice annual "teh dumbz" syndrome. (TDS)
Originally Posted by haganah
Where do you guys see these offensive posts?? Anyway, the solution is to punish tiecollector, bowtielover, and Thinkderm.
If we can add lafont on there, I'm on board.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I

The thread that confused me most lately is how Meister's "Hitler responds to Scott Brown" got so many "OMG that was so funny" posts. I just don't find Hitler funny, call me crazy.

It's like the French and Jerry Lewis, I think.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The thread that confused me most lately is how Meister's "Hitler responds to Scott Brown" got so many "OMG that was so funny" posts. I just don't find Hitler funny, call me crazy.

It was funny, though.

There is, apparently, an Internet meme to take exactly that scene from some German movie (I don't even know the title) and then write subtitled dialogue on the theme of "delivering bad news to an insane person." There must be hundreds of these efforts now. Sometimes the writing is very good.

And if Hitler is never funny does that mean it is wrong to like The Producers?
confused.gif
(The original, not the musical.)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread that confused me most lately is how Meister's "Hitler responds to Scott Brown" got so many "OMG that was so funny" posts. I just don't find Hitler funny, call me crazy. Especially when the implication of the whole joke is that Hitler gave money to Obama's campaign, supporting him, and now is angry that a republican won. I'm the only one who read it as Hitler = Democrats? Are people really that amused by "clever" dubbing that they just miss that.

I didn't view the video, and maybe my understanding would change if I did, but these "Hitler reacts to..." videos have been going around for a while. I think what's really happening is that douchey internet geeks happen to lean left, so the idea that someone would get pissed that Brown won is pretty straightforward to them. The next connection they make is that taking the scene from Der Untergang and changing the subtitles to reflect something that the internets can relate to is funny, so you have Hitler reacting to Brown's election.

Hitler is becoming much too funny. The Holocaust is, unfortunately, something that a few of my real life friends are far too quick to make jokes about. It's embarrassing and if I knew how to stop them, I would. It's a shame that something so horrid that happened in our parents' and grandparents' time has already been made a source of entertainment. How many more years until the jokes reach late night TV... they're already on adult cartoons (FG, unfortunately).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edit; posted while unjung was posting.

Anyway, if it's a well-established meme that you guys find funny, then I'll stop being a wet blanket. I wasn't posting it to complain about it as much as I was just posting it wondering why we're all up in arms about one kind of joke, when another that I find much more insidious is just left to "haha OMG so funny!"

I just think some things are funny and some aren't. And, there's a difference between that video and Mel Brooks, in my opinion.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we can add lafont on there, I'm on board.
Why do you hate him? He writes splendidly about his treasures. Also, I don't know if it was only Manton complaining about accessing SF, but I've had it too. Just now I couldn't log on for 10 minutes. What is up?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It was funny, though.

There is, apparently, an Internet meme to take exactly that scene from some German movie (I don't even know the title) and then write subtitled dialogue on the theme of "delivering bad news to an insane person." There must be hundreds of these efforts now. Sometimes the writing is very good.

And if Hitler is never funny does that mean it is wrong to like The Producers?
confused.gif
(The original, not the musical.)

I have to admit, I laughed at the one where he complained about the Cowboys tanking in the playoffs around the time of T.O.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Edit; posted while unjung was posting.

Anyway, if it's a well-established meme that you guys find funny, then I'll stop being a wet blanket. I just think some things are funny and some aren't. And, there's a difference between that video and Mel Brooks, in my opinion.

Mel Brooks once said something that I thought was profoundly stupid. He said, in effect, that when confronted with evil like Hitler, the only sane response is to laugh at it/him.

It seems to me that the first sane response is to destroy it with a very large army. If you can find some yucks along the way, so much the better. It might make the unpleasant work carry on a little easier. Once destroyed, by all means, laugh it up. But let's not confuse the effective power of the two countermeasures.

In short, we have earned the right to laugh at Hitler, so long as we don't forget what he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads