• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people recommend shoe trees for the Indy boots?
Also how should I care for the black calf Indy boots?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I dropped by the store last week and this is what they had in the window:

df9e93ad.jpg

is that the Madison Ave store?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01

I'll tell you one thing. If you use neutral polish, be prepared with a damp paper towel..
plain.gif

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
So I used some neutral polish (Kiwi) on my Black Indies for the first time and about an hour after doing so, they developed a whitish haze on certain patches..
ffffuuuu.gif

Anybody have any ideas WTF just happened?

I suspect you may have put too much polish on the shoe. Happens often with mink oil and other colorless applications.

Try a hair dryer on them. Or simply wipe them down with a warm damp rag. It should take care of the problem.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah use shoe trees and preferably a shoe horn

obviously dont use cordovan wax since urs are calf. just use black polish or shoe cream

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
is that the Madison Ave store?

Looks like it.

Anyone else notice that the standard 405 is in a distinctly darker brown from the recent brick/pumpkin color? Not as dark as the chromexcel/J.Crew model but still a different color from years past.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 405 in darker brown is the color of the latest run, the pumpkin was before that.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a more general question ... for those of you who have cordovan indys:

are you guys much more "careful" with them or do you wear them like a traditional work boot? are you always worried about scratches, scuffs, etc on them? or do you treat them really rough and tough?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the color of the new 405 different than the brown chromexcel?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

I've only seen the J Crew Indy, which I believe is chromexcel, and it is a much darker brown than the 405 pictured above.

rick

Reaction score
just ordered theses, should have monday. alden captoe trubalance last commando sole.

IMG_1114.jpg

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
just a more general question ... for those of you who have cordovan indys:
I have a pair of no8 indys and while i dont treat them like a pair of work boots, i wouldnt say i baby them in any way. I just choose not to wear them certain days depending on what I'm doing.
The 405 is adding 2 styles (403 and 404) one of which is made in brown chromexcel same as the leather soul ultimate indy and the jcrew indy. The 404 is brown kudu, and it seems all will have leather linings.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4290369626_5309c349df.jpg
4290369618_bb981f1b64.jpg
Double Waterloc - The double oiled leather sole on this boot is supposed to enhance durability in the wet, however I'm not sure how effective this really is in practise. The oiled sole gives greater traction overall, compared to a regular leather sole, but it is also softer and appears to wear down alot easier too. Does anyone have any experience with Alden's Double Waterloc Sole?

MDMusic

Reaction score
To answer a question that was easked earlier, The ShoeMart Chromexcel for $450 is made with a much nicer leather lining, think LS UI. The 403 has a cheaper leather lining. The 403 leather lining reminds me of lambskin--some sort of thin,soft leather. I must note that I am specualting about the 403 as I have not received mine yet. The specualtion is based on the standard 405 that I received recently from The ShoeMart that was leather lined. There may be other upgrades that I didn't notice.

Dethevn

Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on these:

stb1.jpg

I'm looking for a dress-casual boot that would work with indigo denim and a black-ish suit. Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads