• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for carry-on luggage

jdldore

Reaction score
I like Hartmann for durability and ingenuity in creating space, but it's no value. To be honest, I reach for my American Tourister travel bag just as often as my Hartmann if I am not traveling with a client. I bought the bag at Target (or Wal Mart, can't remember) in 1996. Looks like hell, but still going strong.

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
Guys, I understand everyone's concern over the latest security scanning, but I don't think we can stop flying. For some it is just not an option. So, I would really appreciate if you continue helping me in my buying process.

I did some more research on the Briggs & Riley and Tumi. The Tumi bag looks really cool and has this awesome one-button, pop-up system that expands its packing capacity by 2.5". Briggs has a similar one touch expandable system. However, I am totally sold on Outsider handle system that the Briggs and Riley bags have. By placing the telescopic handle on the outside of the bag, they have left the inside surface flat that gives the bag more space and also helps wrinkle-free packing. See details at: http://www.briggs-riley.com/wrinkle-free-packing/

Jacksan: In the 3 years you have been using Briggs and Riley did you see benefits of wrinkle free packing? Do you think it's worth the money?

I plan making the purchase over the weekend and will be glued to this thread for your advice.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I'm kind of disgusted with what I'm hearing about new security protocols, especially for flying international. I understand you are limited to one carry-on now and no personal item (read laptop case.) Apart from being annoying and inconvenient, it is stupid. It smacks of bureaucrats and politicians busily covering their asses. "We're doing very important, very serious things to fight terrorism . . . So don't blame us for whatever goes wrong next!" The attempted Christmas bombing had nothing to do with carry on and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop wearing underwear. I need to cover ******, too.

Should this be true, I may well finally give up, hoist a hearty finger at the airlines and buy the biggest wheeled bag I can check in for free. I am not going to try and pack my laptop, two suits and an extra pair of shoes in a sandwich case because some bone-headed middle-manager at TSA needs to justify his existence by making up pointless new rules that do nothing to enhance the security of anything other than his own job.

BTW, I haven't had to make a long trip since just before Christmas so maybe the new rules aren't as draconian as I think.

Oh, the answer is "Tumi," though Briggs & Riley are quite nice

Originally Posted by JayJay
This applies for international flights only, right?

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Domestics are hardly a pleasure, but International flights out of NY and Philly have been a ******* disaster lately.

that wasn't my experience a week and a half ago, when i flew out of newark, much to my surprise.

GreenNYC

Reaction score
I know its a bit shallow but I can't bring myself to use a rolling bag of any sort....to me it screams male flight attendant (not that there's anything wrong with that). I travel 2x per month and have been using the same Tumi tri-fold garment bag for almost 15 years. It's incredibly durable and the ballistic nylon is lightweight. But the best part is that it's got such a low profile that you really never have to worry about getting overhead storage.

http://intl.tumi.com/product/product...hTerms=trifold

On a separate note, last week on a trip from LAX to Vancouver I was surprised to learn that no carry-ons are permitted on flights from Canada to the US. The do allow a laptop bag, purse etc. but no other carry-ons at all. So with having to check bags and the increased security scans (swipes of every bag going through the detectors) and clearing customers....it adds quite a bit of time to the trip.

hangthree

Reaction score
Try the RedOxx Sky Boss. Great bag - but can get a bit heavy.

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
I did some more research over the weekend and came across this interesting conversation on Flyertalk where they are discussing BR carry-on computer luggage.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...xpandable.html

These computer luggage have set me thinking all over again.

What I liked about these computer uprights is that they come with a section to hold your computer, which means I don't have to carry a separate laptop bag when I travel on business. Now, how convenient is that! I personally liked the BR Verb carry-on computer upright as it comes with a detachable computer sleeve. Do you guys think this is better bet than a regular carry-on?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenNYC
On a separate note, last week on a trip from LAX to Vancouver I was surprised to learn that no carry-ons are permitted on flights from Canada to the US. The do allow a laptop bag, purse etc. but no other carry-ons at all. So with having to check bags and the increased security scans (swipes of every bag going through the detectors) and clearing customers....it adds quite a bit of time to the trip.
This is good, albeit depressing, to know. Thanks.

Max MY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangthree
Try the RedOxx Sky Boss. Great bag - but can get a bit heavy.

Red Oxx makes excellent products. I have a couple of their bags and they are practically bombproof.

The Air Boss is kinda large though. Maybe have a look at their Safari line, with more sizes to choose from.

Their customer service is amazing, too.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My Filson #258 fits my enormous 17" MacBook Pro, a handful of books, a fat stack of papers or magazines, my power strip, etc., and fits into an overhead bin or (sometimes) under the seat in front of me. I haven't gone wrong with it yet. That said, I am definitely not one of those carryon-only, road warrior types. I pack only the items to which what I need immediate access in my carryon; all clothing gets checked in another bag. Sure, it costs me an extra 30 to 45 minutes at the baggage claim. But it saves me at least that much time that would be spent agonizing over how to consolidate everything into a carryon and/or ironing/steaming things upon arrival that have been wrecked inside a carryon.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I'm kind of disgusted with what I'm hearing about new security protocols, especially for flying international. I understand you are limited to one carry-on now and no personal item (read laptop case.)

This is not true, at least in my experience - I have flown internationally a few times (LAX - Thailand and IAD - Rome) since the most recent incident, and have been allowed to take the one carry-on plus one personal item each way.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by em36
Have a look at Rimowa. Cabin-trolleys.

+1
Got one of those... stay away from the aluminium though. Looks good but also considerably heavier.

Elmo

Reaction score
the rules for domestic and int'l flights are laid outhere

I prefer a backpack; frees 2 hands and makes the interminable airport walks palatable.

T.A.D. Gear and Kifaru are among the best.

chroMe

Reaction score
bown overnight cabin bag - nerd alert details here

bown.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads