• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Replace 'punch' with 'punch and kick'.

It seems like you spend all your time wandering around after Conne making snide remarks.

K

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leelondon
A novel idea, but you could try paying for your music. That way musicians can actually make a living from their art and aren't forced to work in bookshops.

Other things pissing me off:
Easter eggs on sale on the 1st January.

Whether one "pays" for one's music or not, very very very little of that money actually goes to the musicians. The vast majority goes to greedy music label executives.

There are many reasons not to "pirate" music, playing on sympathy to financially support musicians isn't one of them.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leelondon
A novel idea, but you could try paying for your music. That way musicians can actually make a living from their art and aren't forced to work in bookshops.

Other things pissing me off:
Easter eggs on sale on the 1st January.

It's a market economy. By not paying for your music, shows / performances, and merchandise, society is telling you how much it values your music.

As in, your contribution to society is greater as a bookstore employee than as an artist.

K

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
As in, your contribution to society is greater as a bookstore employee than as an artist.

K

Isn't that true?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Isn't that true?

Thats why I said it.

K

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My boss called 10 minutes after I got to the office and rattled off four or five research projects that need to be done by early next week.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Just found out a friend and member of the extended family died. He was in his early sixties. Last time I saw him was the holiday season 2008/9. He was hale and hearty then. I knew he was sick and had been meaning to get in touch and tell him nice things. If you have something to say, say it now because you might not get another chance.
Sorry to hear that, NC
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Whether one "pays" for one's music or not, very very very little of that money actually goes to the musicians. The vast majority goes to greedy music label executives.

There are many reasons not to "pirate" music, playing on sympathy to financially support musicians isn't one of them.

This is logically bankrupt. If you're comfortable getting your music however you [generic "you" -- not making any assumptions or implications about what harvey does or doesn't do] get it, that's your business. But trying to cloak that decision in some veneer of faux-populist righteousness is laughable.
The fact/assumption that much of the money goes to people in the food chain other than the artists doesn't mean that artists don't need sales revenue to support themselves. Whether or not the "vast majority" goes to other people, the "vast minority" that still gets to artists is how they make ends meet.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
It's a market economy. By not paying for your music, shows / performances, and merchandise, society is telling you how much it values your music.

K

facepalm.gif

How does this respond to lee's point? People who steal things -- be they tangible objects or intellectual property -- rather than paying the established "market economy" price for them aren't sending economic signals about the market value of what they steal. They're just sending a message about their own morality. When you steal that Taylor Swift CD from Borders, you're not helping society tell her her music sucks and has no economic value. If anything, you're sending the exact opposite message.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My boss called 10 minutes after I got to the office and rattled off four or five research projects that need to be done by early next week.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Get busy!
laugh.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Changed out the 02S so my exhaust code would go away. Took it to Autozone after I reset the codes to have it scanned again, no emission problems. Went to have it inspected and failed because I didn't drive it long enough between reseting the engine.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

And if you don't stop posting here and get to work I'm gonna call again tomorrow and give you four or five more. Mach schnell!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

K

Your analysis only holds true if artist has the economic property rights to his music. In this case he does not since someone can take the music without paying for it.

b

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
facepalm.gif

How does this respond to lee's point? People who steal things -- be they tangible objects or intellectual property -- rather than paying the established "market economy" price for them aren't sending economic signals about the market value of what they steal. They're just sending a message about their own morality. When you steal that Taylor Swift CD from Borders, you're not helping society tell her her music sucks and has no economic value. If anything, you're sending the exact opposite message.

You're right. I was actually just being a nonsensical dick for the sake of it, and your point about the Taylor Swift CD from Borders is absolutely correct.

But realistically, with the comment about working in a bookstore I would guess that people are neither buying nor stealing (pirating) his music. Otherwise there would be revenue streams from either shows or merch.

Originally Posted by rdawson808
Your analysis only holds true if artist has the economic property rights to his music. In this case he does not since someone can take the music without paying for it.

b

If you mean what I think you mean, then you are right as above.

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics