• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
What kind of boot polish is best for these shoes and where can I find some good boot trees that aren't too expensive?

you can mail order RM Williams polish and conditioner from the NYC store

boot trees, you don't really need, but you can get some from cedarville (shoe trees are probbaly fine)

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
What kind of boot polish is best for these shoes and where can I find some good boot trees that aren't too expensive?

I use Saphir polish on mine. I use the Costco Woodlore Epic-style trees that seem to be so ubiquitous in the USA. They work great.

Stuart

Wrigglez

Reaction score
For anyone that's interested, I met Bruce Miller today, the only last maker in Australia. He is a fantastic person, very knolageable; I spent at least 3 1/2 hours talking to him about the footwear industry, last making, shoe construction and my foot. He has worked with RM. Williams at least since the 60's. I walked in wearing my RM. Williams Craftsman's and he said 'I remember making the first of those lasts in 1967' anyway; I am having a pair of lasts made on a modified
RM. Williams B529 last, as the toe shape was nice and round, similar to the John Lobb 7000 last.
To more accurate the lasts will be original with styling cues from the B529 last. He originally asked me what problems I had with my boots, and also pointed out other things that I had not noticed but once they were pointed out to be, became blatantly obvious. Looking very forward to the coming results.
He also mentioned that a RM.W bespoke service may be on the cards, some time soon, they just had to convince head management. They would have a scanner in stores and the foot scan would be sent off to have a bespoke last made. Only time will tell. He also said that the 'brass screw' sole fitter was the only one of its type in australia and is more that 100 years old.
Any questions feel free to ask.
His website is: www(dot)shoelastsaustralia(dot)com(dot)au
Regards,

Xyst

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Queenslander?

After speaking with their contacts in Oz, the 59th street store is recommending the Queenslander boot for me. The Henley is one of the widest boots they make (and it still didn't fit me!), but the Queenslander is an X width, and is apparantly 3/4" wider than the Henley and has a rounded toe instead of chiseled. The only place I can find any info is the MTO section of the RM Williams catalog, so I'm not sure if this is a standard boot with typical color options or not. Anybody else have any insight?

Thanks again!
Xyst

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
He also mentioned that a RM.W bespoke service may be on the cards, some time soon, they just had to convince head management. They would have a scanner in stores and the foot scan would be sent off to have a bespoke last made. Only time will tell.
This sounds fantastic. Can we find out anything more? One can wonder if anyone in management at RMW reads this forum. Cheers

Lear

Reaction score
I wish that they offered the yearling colours in calf. I see only black and brown as being available. Has anyone asked RMW about this?

Lear

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Is it okay to wear these in the rain?

Drew Goodall

Reaction score
This is an excellent and detailed analysis. Has anyone posted analysis from other brands?

Drew

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drew Goodall
This is an excellent and detailed analysis. Has anyone posted analysis from other brands?

Drew

I believe you should find some good information here about Crockett and Jones, Edward Green, John Lobb and Vass, to mention a few. Maybe not quite as much information as offered about RM Williams, but alot of information.

So much, that information, that I read most of this thread and recently bought a pair of black Craftsman from Australia Fair in San Francisco. . .
http://www.australiafairinc.com/

Great service. . .but most importantly, I love my RM Williams boots. The look great and feel great. I'm very glad I bought them. Now, I'm considering another pair.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
This sounds fantastic. Can we find out anything more? One can wonder if anyone in management at RMW reads this forum.

Cheers

bruce miller, the guy i saw, makes the lasts for RM.W, there is no official info yet, but if people were to show interest i think it would help push it over the line.

ville_e

Reaction score
How is the Drover compared to the Craftsman? I have understood that they are very similar in terms of appearance.

I need a nice shoe that is somewhat water-proof that I can use with jeans and with a suit. Which one of these fits the bill?

I wear size 45 Euro in Red Wing and Clarks DB. Is my size the same for RMW?

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
How is the Drover compared to the Craftsman? I have understood that they are very similar in terms of appearance.

I need a nice shoe that is somewhat water-proof that I can use with jeans and with a suit. Which one of these fits the bill?

I wear size 45 Euro in Red Wing and Clarks DB. Is my size the same for RMW?

This is the toughest and most elegant combination of bootery that RMW have made to date!The overall shape is that of the well known "˜Craftsman' boot whilst the sole is cleated as is the sole of the "˜Yard' boot, and the uppers are made of "˜Vesta' leather that is matt and water resistant as well as being very tough. The best way to look after these boots is to treat them with a good quality saddle dressing. Toughness and elegance in one package!

You might want to check out this link for pictures. . .
http://www.denewear.co.uk/store/rm-williams-mens-boots/

If you look at the pictures of the Drover as compared to the Craftsman, they are similar, except for a rubber cleated sole on the Drover. I don't think I would wear the Drover with a suit, unless it was raining. Otherwise, the Craftsman would be a superior choice for wearing with a suit.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
what can I use to protect these from rain?

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^^^^
Condition the heck out of them then use dubbin to protect from the rain

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads