• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
PhatG, I like the new batch of suits. A little more roomy and longer. Rooks good!

IST, I think the snowy weather is getting to you again. Too many patterns. Hurts my eyeballs. Back to your usual subdued, elegant outfits, please.

+1 to both comments.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3

S7303284.jpg

S7303347.jpg

Did you use the same maker or alterations tailor on both of these jackets? As someone with a similar build as you, I don't the cut of the jacket is doing you any favors. A bit too )( - makes your chest/shoulders appear slighter than your hips/skirt. And the lapels are buckling, pulling the jacket collar off your neck.

I think ou need those shoulders extended, the chest built-up more, the waist let out a bit and, maybe, have the skirt tapered in a bit. Just my 2 cents.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Cool, I should keep better tabs on you.
smile.gif

It was improper for me to assume everyone keeps up with TC's Adventures in Soft Shoulders.
smile.gif
Cheers!

literasyme

Reaction score
These trousers are killing me: too short initially for even a fake cuff, so the hem just sort of flops about, and the material loves getting caught on socks. Unfortunately, I like the fit & colour.... Damn you, Incotex!
DSCF2129.jpg
DSCF2138.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
I hope you heard me whistle when I saw that snazzy DB coat! The PS is outstanding.

Originally Posted by Philip1978
dawg killing it today!!!

thanks guys!

Originally Posted by scruff
Did you use the same maker or alterations tailor on both of these jackets? As someone with a similar build as you, I don't the cut of the jacket is doing you any favors. A bit too )( - makes your chest/shoulders appear slighter than your hips/skirt. And the lapels are buckling, pulling the jacket collar off your neck.

I think ou need those shoulders extended, the chest built-up more, the waist let out a bit and, maybe, have the skirt tapered in a bit. Just my 2 cents.

both jackets are different makers ... and neither has been altered. I agree that the DB could do with the skirt being taken in some. Its actually on my to-do list .. so i appreciate the honest feedback.

on the jacket from yesterday though, there is no space in the skirt. if i tighten it anymore, my vent would be popping open like a peacock's tail ... lol.

i am a big guy ... no getting around that. my jackets are not going to fit like gregaz or IST ... i am not ignoring your feedback ... its just that based on body types ... some things are what they are, and you have to do your best with what you've got.

the DB will be taken in, in the skirt though - absolutely agree with that.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Nice textures there! I can literally feel them in my mind. Great SC too, very nice and the lapel hole looks pretty clearly hand stitched. I would have also guessed something like Borelli. Those pants... I feel like they need a cuff
Thank you! Funnily enough, while I agree that the buttonhole looks pretty in the picture (and to a slightly lesser degree IRL), I'm almost positive they're all machine made. I agree about the trousers, but these were a pre-assimilation acquisition, and since they're a light-coloured cotton I'm not sure I could have them cuffed now -- the marks would show.
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
At Capsule, courtesy whodini. This was, I think, Monday.
img2501w.jpg

Brilliant coat! I'm not sure I could put that sort of thing off (though tempting to match it with my moth-eaten souvenir deerstalker...), but you wear it well. Very cool.
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
So guys, any comments about the pants in particular? I post bad pants and get 20 replies about how bad they are. I post what I consider to be my best fitting pants and get one comment, and not directly about the pants. I know the fit isn't 100% perfect, but it really looks great in person as opposed a stiff photo. They hang/drape rather stiffly in the photos, perhaps due to the heavy cotton construction. Thoughts?
Well, to oblige you: I think they look OK in today's photo, and I don't have an issue with the boot/pant combo. The boots, in fact, look quite nice to me. More subdued than some of your older pairs. But the trousers do seem a little long (more break than they should have, especially since they're cuffed) and appear to pull a little across the seat; the pockets seems to pop out a bit. I certainly wouldn't call them slim -- they look more slouchy to me, but that's not a bad thing. The pairing with yesterday's jacket doesn't really work. It might be the built-up shoulders and very structured silhouette of the coat that's clashing with the rumpledness of the trousers. Also not too sure about the lapels, but that's a different issue! Hope this is helpful.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Well, to oblige you: I think they look OK in today's photo, and I don't have an issue with the boot/pant combo. The boots, in fact, look quite nice to me. More subdued than some of your older pairs. But the trousers do seem a little long (more break than they should have, especially since they're cuffed) and appear to pull a little across the seat; the pockets seems to pop out a bit. I certainly wouldn't call them slim -- they look more slouchy to me, but that's not a bad thing. The pairing with yesterday's jacket doesn't really work. It might be the built-up shoulders and very structured silhouette of the coat that's clashing with the rumpledness of the trousers. Also not too sure about the lapels, but that's a different issue! Hope this is helpful.

Thank you. I see the pocket issue... not a problem for me.

The trousers, with the way they fit, are very slim on me. My slimmest pair of pants, other than my cream RRL selvage jeans. I mean... any slimmer and they would not be comfortable. I don't have the slim, long legs of IST or gregaz, so what you may be perceiving as extra room in the thigh/calf is most likely my leg. Oh, to be blessed with oxen legs.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So guys, any comments about the pants in particular? I post bad pants and get 20 replies about how bad they are. I post what I consider to be my best fitting pants and get one comment, and not directly about the pants. I know the fit isn't 100% perfect, but it really looks great in person as opposed a stiff photo. They hang/drape rather stiffly in the photos, perhaps due to the heavy cotton construction. Thoughts?

2zf8xt5.jpg

Moo - i think the pants are fine ... which is why i didnt comment. Maybe its an un-written rule, but in my few months on SF, i've learnt no comments = either bad or good ... lots of comments = very good/great or very bad ... and then there is Vox, Parker and PG ... lol.

i wouldnt get too worried about people commenting or not. there are so many examples here of good and bad fit, that it is easy to form your own opinion on whether your clothes fit or not.

its good to post here in the beginning, but it doesnt take a lot to pick up on the way things should fit ... and after that period ... its important to be self-confident and know what you need to do to make your fits look great. now if people refuse to/or don't comment - it goes back to my point above about what i have seen to be the trend on SF with regards to commentary. i could be wrong though.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nordstrom made with 100% LP Cashmere blazer
Turnbull and Asser blue/white micro-stripe shirt
Neiman Marcus pocket square, silk
Incotex cotton pants
Dingman belt, calfskin
Ralph Lauren Garran chukkas, cognac cordovan

The colours and patterns work well and fit is fine, but I'm not sure about the trousers with the jacket - whilst in theory the blazer shouldn't be too formal for cotton trousers it looks it.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Quoting from a little ways back folks. Just catching up now.

Tres Bien on the colors! I like the red on grey thing. I was eyeing the BB's red merino cardigan to do this type of combo with. maybe a tad long?

Cheers - break on trousers is quite pronounced anyway, but it's exacerbated by having mislaid my braces and relying on the gut to hold them up...
blush.gif

Originally Posted by IST66
21015.jpg

I like it all apart from the tie, but despite my dislike of the tie it does work with the rest.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Hello ladies.. Had some time to drop in & say HURRO!​

Nice shirt PG

Originally Posted by gshen
P1050855.jpg

I like this combination - the bag and brolly make the look.
Originally Posted by PocketCircle

Isaia sportcoat + Borrelli shirt + Luciano Barbera pants + Corneliani wool tie + Church's

Nice choice of tie with a great SC.​

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These trousers are killing me: too short initially for even a fake cuff, so the hem just sort of flops about, and the material loves getting caught on socks. Unfortunately, I like the fit & colour.... Damn you, Incotex!

DSCF2129.jpg

that lapel roll is GORGEOUS!!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Moo - i think the pants are fine ... which is why i didnt comment. Maybe its an un-written rule, but in my few months on SF, i've learnt no comments = either bad or good ... lots of comments = very good/great or very bad ... and then there is Vox, Parker and PG ... lol.

i wouldnt get too worried about people commenting or not. there are so many examples here of good and bad fit, that it is easy to form your own opinion on whether your clothes fit or not.

its good to post here in the beginning, but it doesnt take a lot to pick up on the way things should fit ... and after that period ... its important to be self-confident and know what you need to do to make your fits look great. now if people refuse to/or don't comment - it goes back to my point above about what i have seen to be the trend on SF with regards to commentary. i could be wrong though.

Yes, I agree with you on all points... I assumed the fit was just good, not great, and certainly not very eye-catching. I should have been more specific in my intentions of posting those pics, i.e. asking about the fit of the pants. Photos do funny thing, like freeze every imperfection in time for people to scrutinize. In real life the pants look better... but as TC and MoK have said, a better jacket combination must be found.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Love all of this apart from the tie - might just e the photo but it's too shiny for my taste.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
At Capsule, courtesy whodini. This was, I think, Monday.

img2501w.jpg

Love this coat.
Like the combination but I'm not keen on the button placement on the DB - the lower four look very close together. Maybe having the skirt taken in will alter the visual balance. I like keystones anyway...

I think the pants/shoes work better in this context.

Do for me.

Great jacket - nice classic restrained look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics