• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So a good example is posted (for about the 10th time) and all the h8ers just clam up. No nits to pick? Come on guys, the reputation of A&S as a firm that turns out nothing but disasters is on the line! To the barricades!

joshman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
So a good example is posted (for about the 10th time) and all the h8ers just clam up. No nits to pick? Come on guys, the reputation of A&S as a firm that turns out nothing but disasters is on the line! To the barricades!

Who said A&S turns out nothing but disasters.
And hey cowbody, itn't it rather rich to say the jacket looks perfect when the wearer hasn't worn it for a number of times. Worse still it ain't half finished.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And we can only see 20% of it.

Which reminds me. Did whnay post new photos and I missed them?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshman
Who said A&S turns out nothing but disasters.
And hey cowbody, itn't it rather rich to say the jacket looks perfect when the wearer hasn't worn it for a number of times. Worse still it ain't half finished.

rolleyes.gif

Can we play "Guess the banned Manton-hating troll" with this one?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This back and shoulder line look perfect to me:

as3s9087338.jpg

Does that mean that the firm is exonerated, and everything they do is good? It must, right, because one garment defines any tailor, correct?

Don't worry that's just a fitting, they will magic up a poor fit before the delivering the final product.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
And we can only see 20% of it.

The parts we can see are fine though, aren't they?

And aren't we supposed to conclude that the whole firm, and everything they do and have ever done, are terrible based on one photo of the back of one coat? But that rule only applies to the negative case? A good back is just waved away?

Do these rules apply to any other tailors, or just to A&S?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We can't see anything, really, except a wonky sleeve which you said they fixed. If I can't judge whnay's fit from a full frontal, neutral pose, there is no way I can judge the back of this by staring up your armpit. Doesn't look terrible, but we'll see what the tailors do to it.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And aren't we supposed to conclude that the whole firm, and everything they do and have ever done, are terrible based on one photo of the back of one coat? But that rule only applies to the negative case? A good back is just waved away?

Do these rules apply to any other tailors, or just to A&S?

Manton, you of all people should know that the rules apply to everyone. Except the (sadly deceased) Duke of Windsor. The rules do not apply to him.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Don't worry that's just a fitting, they will magic up a poor fit before the delivering the final product.
Unless it's a Corvato, in which case they will magic up a good fit that looks nothing like a first fitting that has the top collar, pockets and facings put on, but mysteriously is lacking a lining.
smile.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Unless it's a Corvato.....

Not fair- he's not here to defend himself. Bunny, that is.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Unless it's a Corvato, in which case they will magic up a good fit that looks nothing like a first fitting that has the top collar, pockets and facings put on, but mysteriously is lacking a lining.

It's true. As you can see the world of bespoke tailoring is very complicated.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
We can't see anything, really

Oh, give me a break. You can't tell that the collar is on the neck, the shoulder fits well, the back is clean, and the back balance is correct?

If there were anything obviously off (aside from the rear sleeve), is there any doubt that the h8ers would be all over it, and accept no excuses like "It's a first fitting" and "You can only see 20% of the coat"?

I take you to be a more reasonable man than this, but methinks you are drinking too deeply of the h8 on this one.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I take you to be a more reasonable man than this, but methinks you are drinking too deeply of the h8 on this one.
No, we just look for different things, and as I said, unless I can see full-on, full-length shots, I can't really say anything for sure. And is that your normal posture, with your head slung so far forward, or are you watching what he's doing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads