• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another car poll: G37 vs. 335i

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Provided the OP is a small timer, I don't see how the 335i is a $15K better car that the G.
Dealers are clearing out leftovers '09 G37s, so expect to pay a few grand under invoice.
For buyers with no budget, the clear choice would be getting a 3-series with that notoriously "bulletproof" N54 motor .
Then waiting till shyt hits the fan
lurker[1].gif

P.S. I've driven the new ( supercharged) Audi S4. It was the automotive equivalent of a mental ******* case
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
to be fair they both have the crappy aluminum coloured plastic. I agree that the 335 is better than the 37, but I wouldn't base my opinion on interiors. The BMW interior isn't all that nice

You haven't seen MY BMW interior...
inlove.gif

And I despize the Crappy aluminum interiors. Wood all the way. Wood on Leather.
And re: Leatherette: You need your head examined if your such a "Small-Timer" you can convince yourself that it's "almost" as nice as leather for a cost savings of $1250.

Furthermore: There is not a Car I found that offered what a 335 did in terms of Styling, build quality and all around awesomeness of features.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by x26
And re: Leatherette: You need your head examined if your such a "Small-Timer" you can convince yourself that it's "almost" as nice as leather for a cost savings of $1250.

I bought my M Coupe new and plan to keep it until I'm so old I can't get in and out anymore; for that reason, I wish they'd offered leatherette. The BMW vinyl, like Mercedes-Benz's, lasts and looks good forever. The leather, not so much.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by x26
Furthermore: There is not a Car I found that offered what a 335 did in terms of Styling, build quality and all around awesomeness of features.
In regards to features, I found them both fairly comparable.

andas

Reaction score
Even though the 3-series has short guarantee period, higher price and low levels of standard equipment compared to the german competitors, this is a no-brainer for me...

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern.

Car I've liked the most? Strangely enough the C300 I rented while in LA. Felt solid like old mid-80s Mercs, decent sportiness, and just generally felt really nice. The only reason I haven't bought one is I want to see if they've finally got a handle on their reliability issues. There are a couple of niggling issues on the inside, but overall, it felt pretty nice.

The IS is a total POS. Couldn't believe they were trying to sell that car as a sports sedan when they seemed to have gone out of their way to make it handle just like an ES. Neither my wife nor I could even stand to drive it around the block, and the dealer was pretty surprised when we told him we thought i sucked.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no back-up camera on the 3.
On the flip side, Infiniti G offers no diesel option.
Though there's a G25 base model in the pipeline.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest flavor of G sedan.
2010 G37 just about to hit showrooms near you.
I've driven both AWD G37 and 305HP AWD Acura TL.
Handgrenades v. Apples

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern. Car I've liked the most? Strangely enough the C300 I rented while in LA. Felt solid like old mid-80s Mercs, decent sportiness, and just generally felt really nice. The only reason I haven't bought one is I want to see if they've finally got a handle on their reliability issues. There are a couple of niggling issues on the inside, but overall, it felt pretty nice.
What the ****? The C300 is a languid *************. I had one for two weeks in SF -- you can't even hear the engine. How can you claim to own a Boxster and then use "sportiness" and C300 in the same thought?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
↑↑

Go drive C300 Sport, then see me
plain.gif

P.S. Press S button to hear the engine and feel gears change.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
↑↑

Go drive C300 Sport, then see me
plain.gif

P.S. Press S button to hear the engine and feel gears change.

My Camry rental also has a "S" mode. You gotta be kidding me.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
What the ****? The C300 is a languid *************. I had one for two weeks in SF -- you can't even hear the engine. How can you claim to own a Boxster and then use "sportiness" and C300 in the same thought?

I don't care about engine noise, plenty of that in my Boxster, and it gets kind of tiring unless I am autocrossing. A trip to Napa from SF is pretty exhausting until we get there and put the top down for some cruising.

The 3 series is nice, and I admit the steering feel and handling is more direct, but, frankly, if you want steering feel, it has nothing on the mid-engined Boxster, and the best deal in that sort of directness is the RX-8 (absolutely amazing feel) or Elise. The C300 actually feels like an entry level luxury car with sporting pretentions (and yes, the Sport button does make all the difference in the world - I drove it for a day before noticing that and my opinion entirely flipped based on that one button).

Then again, the pinnacle in cars, IMO, is the E30, and I'd personally get a 135i over a 335 just for the go-cart feel and small size, but I think most people are too insecure to be seen in one. In fact, I would buy a 5-door 135 the day they brought it over here.

As for the G, depending on your feeling about modding you car and which G you actually buy, that difference in price adds up to a lot of changes - from turbos, to suspension mods, sways, Brembos.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern.
I wouldn't quite call it crap, but its glad to see I'm not the only one on SF, who's 'meh' on the 3 series interior. It looks much better with the wood option, then again the same applies to the G37. It's funny you mentioned the RX-8, because I recently test drove all 3. I found both the 3 series and G-sedan to offer handling far superior to the majority of the typical sedan, however neither were even comparable to the tight razor-sharp handling of the Mazda.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
My Camry rental also has a "S" mode.

The late, never great Pontiac Grand Am used to come with a spoiler.
According to some salesmen that alone added about 12HP
I don't see what's the relevance here.
You can argue the Merc has a wooden steering (not to be mixed up with a disconnected steering which is a Honda trademark), but to fix that deficiency you'd need to step up to AMG kit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads