• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^you may have better luck in the peacoat thread. Peacoats are studied in incredible detail there.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Definitely not. Black and gray? I can't think of two colors that go less well together.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
Where can I get a good peacoat? What are some good brands?

J.Crew!
Slim and very cheap.

Dethevn

Reaction score
Hey all, first post, although I do browse a lot.

I've been looking to buy some boots and I came across someone willing to sell me Alden Shell Cordovan Jumpers from the states but I do not have any experience sizing Aldens.

He said they come in 9.5 D so I measured my foot and I'm not sure if they will fit.

I wear a:
10 US in most sneakers, nikes, etc.
9.5 in Clark's DB
and my foot measured is roughly 10.5 inches.

I'm also 4" in width using the tape.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aviddresser
What are the fashion rules of socks? When is it ok to wear brown, black or white?
I assume you mean with suits? Otherwise, you'll never see them. I'd go with darker colors, avoid white. You can go with flamboyant colors if you're a poofter. (Read: iGent)

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used Allen Edmonds/vintage Florshiems off the B&S forum.

Or, use whatever old black dress shoes you already have.

Or, bump up your budget and get nicer black shoes.

Or, go to a local thrift store and get something for cheap and not in terrible condition.

Look, since I guess you "need" these just either 1.) get something disposable as cheap as possible or 2.) just buy nicer shoes nice.

In the long run you will be looking back and seeing how you wasted $100 on brand new crappy shoes when you could have instead spent money elsewhere.

PS: nice sig

89shaggy

Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old male with dirty blonde (almost brown) hair and blue eyes, slim/athletic build. I have light blue, dark blue, and dark grey/black jeans. I'm looking for some help in finding some decent button downs with some help on matching colors (with jeans and undershirts) along with shoes, I normally wear skate shoes for comfort but I have no problems with dress shoes or any other suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

spagnutty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89shaggy
I'm a 20 year old male with dirty blonde (almost brown) hair and blue eyes, slim/athletic build. I have light blue, dark blue, and dark grey/black jeans. I'm looking for some help in finding some decent button downs with some help on matching colors (with jeans and undershirts) along with shoes, I normally wear skate shoes for comfort but I have no problems with dress shoes or any other suggestions. Any help is appreciated.
There's lots and lots of information on this in men's style' slim fit dress shirt pinned thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=35147&page=82 But 80+ pages can be a bit hard to extract useful information from sometimes. My personal recommendation is H&M. Their fits are truly slim fitting (a LOT of the recommendations from the above thread are not), and they're really really cheap. Sale shirts are usually 15 bucks, new ones 25-30. They also have somewhat longer sleeves for their sizes, which is a life saver if you're both slim and decently tall. Most of their shirts are a bit on the more colorful side, so not the bestif you're looking for super bland basic solid color whites and blues. There are many higher quality options I'm sure, but for some budget tentative puchases and experiments it's pretty hard to beat.

Esoterik

Reaction score
Looking to pick up some casual button Up shirts, what would you suggest for someone new to actual style. I am 5'10" 185 lbs fairly fit build, dark brown buzzed hair with blue eyes What I am looking for style wise is just button Up shirts with rolled up sleeve and jean/pant look. What color/pattern shirts are generally accepted for this and what type of pant? (khaki/jean/etc?)

Guyute

Reaction score
Looking for some cool belts to wear with denim that will age well and fit a VERY tight budget...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Esoterik
Looking to pick up some casual button down shirts, what would you suggest for someone new to actual style. I am 5'10" 185 lbs fairly fit build, dark brown buzzed hair with blue eyes What I am looking for style wise is just button down shirts with rolled up sleeve and jean/pant look. What color/pattern shirts are generally accepted for this and what type of pant? (khaki/jean/etc?)
For clarification, a button down shirt refers to a shirt with a button-down collar, a button up shirt is a shirt with a button closure. Band of Outsiders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads