• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

mccvi

Reaction score
I follow Kabbaz's recommendations.... http://www.customshirt1.com/ShirtLaundering.html Octagon scrubbed, cold water gentle cycle, hang dry till slightly damp, ironed (Rowenta) when still damp or misted well. As some others have said two wearings in winter, one in summer. I would love to still trust the cleaners but don't (at least not with hand stitched shirts and mop).

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
hmmm how often do u guys dryclean them? so one response dryclean every 4-5 wears--I used to get them drycleaned all the time bad me

thinking woolite (shout or oxy where needed in armpits collar etc) and hang dry than dryclean every 4-5 times sounds about right to me....

Originally Posted by rjt65
What about suits?

how do you keep them clean pressed?

cheers

Dress shirts aren't dry-cleaned. I'm not a big sweater, so I have mine laundered and pressed at the cleaners after 1-2 wears in the summer and 2-3 in the winter. I touch up with the iron in between.
Suits should be dry-cleaned as little as possible and brushed regularly.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Suits should be dry-cleaned as little as possible and brushed regularly.

What kind of brush do you use for suits? How to avoid moth holes in suits?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

Regular lint brush. I also have a 12 guage moth zapper.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413

Where did you get the moth zapper from? Do you put moth balls in the pockets when you store suits? They stink really bad!

rjt65

Reaction score
I mispoke on the shirts I go to the drycleaners and get em laundered no starch on hanger... thanks all this is a gr8 thread--- gr8 link above on care BTW thanks! Do yu guys hang em to dry outside or inside? too cold in NY in the winter for outside they would freeze! cheers PS a good suggestion from that link wash em at home-- make a deal with cleaner to just press em.. I might inquire on that one!! point is made in the link that u pay for like 6 seconds wash in a commercial washer and not good for the shirts...
Originally Posted by KObalto
Dress shirts aren't dry-cleaned. I'm not a big sweater, so I have mine laundered and pressed at the cleaners after 1-2 wears in the summer and 2-3 in the winter. I touch up with the iron in between. Suits should be dry-cleaned as little as possible and brushed regularly.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unless you basically ask them for it, most cleaners aren't going to dry clean your shirts. They're going to wash and press them. The danger to the garment, in this case, is not in the chemicals used in the wash (because they're not dry cleaned). It's the machine used to press the shirts. Industrial pressing machines can destroy buttons like nobody's business. Nothing worse than having your MOP buttons smashed to pieces, only to find them replaced by cheap plastic abominations upon getting your shirts back.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Unless you basically ask them for it, most cleaners aren't going to dry clean your shirts. They're going to wash and press them. The danger to the garment, in this case, is not in the chemicals used in the wash (because they're not dry cleaned). It's the machine used to press the shirts. Industrial pressing machines can destroy buttons like nobody's business. Nothing worse than having your MOP buttons smashed to pieces, only to find them replaced by cheap plastic abominations upon getting your shirts back.

That is why you ask them to hand iron them.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
That is why you ask them to hand iron them.

If you're lucky enough to live near a cleaner that will actually do it, then yes. And if you can afford it, then yes. In my case, yes to the latter but no to the former. The three or four cleaners within a realistic walking/driving radius of my house adamantly refuse to hand iron.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
If you're lucky enough to live near a cleaner that will actually do it, then yes. And if you can afford it, then yes. In my case, yes to the latter but no to the former. The three or four cleaners within a realistic walking/driving radius of my house adamantly refuse to hand iron.

Man, that is too bad. I've never had a cleaner who wouldn't do it. My old cleaner though did charge quite a bit extra for it ($3 a shirt or something) but my cleaner now only charges $1.25 or so for it. Seems pretty cheap to me and definitely worth it since I hate ironing.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by ter1413

A lint brush is fine for getting lint and dog hair off your suits. For maintenance of your clothes, you need a clothes brush. I got mine from Kent Brushes Ebay store. I got a 2-sided one: one side for cashmere, the other for regular wool.
Moth larvae do not like sunlight. I am lucky enough to have a window in my closet.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
After each wear (even if just worn for a dinner) I wash the shirts. I used to go 2-3 wears without doing so and found that ring around the collar/cuffs had built up quite a bit. I wear crewneck or v-neck t-shirt undershirts under my shirts.
I have not tried Shout but I do scrub the collars with a toothbrush and some Dawn liquid dish soap -- the degreaser gets out the ring around the collar. I scrub very lightly b/c I don't want fraying.
Wash warm.
Hang dry.
Iron damp or re-wet with spray part of iron before ironing. This last part is time-intensive but I somehow find it soothing.

Stopped taking them to the cleaners a long time ago...they butcher the shirts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Stopped taking them to the cleaners a long time ago...they butcher the shirts.
This was my experience, too. Too many shirts came back with buttons broken or missing.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.

Use Shout or Spray and Wash or somesuch - rub it in, soak for a while - viola! no more ring around the collar.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know how you guys wear shirts more than once, regardless of the season. Ironing a dirty shirt to wear again just seems wrong to me.

Even if the shirt doesnt smell, its still dirty from touching your skin. I machine wash on cold, hang dry and hand press. If it starts backing up I'll bring them to the cleaners for a hand press.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads