• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
What about suits?

how do you keep them clean pressed?

cheers

Dry cleaning is a necessary evil when it comes to suits. Do it as little as possible.

Stuart

rjt65

Reaction score
thanks Stuart

what Iused to do with suits and will continue--- the shirts so easier to give em to cleaners-

what do u guys use to press iron the shirts?

any tricks steamers etc?

Richard

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Shirts should be washed after every wearing. Even if you only wear it for a couple of hours.

+1. Even if you you have to soak it in your bathroom sink with some light detergent..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Wash after every 1-2 wears, Shout on collars, cuffs, and armpits, wash with mild detergent, remove from washer and hang dry.

I've since given up on ironing, unless I'm due for an interview.

Shout is applied to my shirt collars and pits, too. Good stuff. I, too, hang dry and rarely have them ironed.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Shout is applied to my shirt collars and pits, too. Good stuff. I, too, hang dry and rarely have them ironed.

What kind of polyester are you guys wearing? My cotton shirts are wrinkled as hell after washing and (air) drying. Must iron.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
What kind of polyester are you guys wearing? My cotton shirts are wrinkled as hell after washing and (air) drying. Must iron.

+1. No iron?? Pls tell me the brand that you wear...

rjt65

Reaction score
+ 1 as well ---dress shirts PITA washing at home ---- used some downy spray to help get wrinkles out but mostly from traveling packing....

my prior experience with my work dress shirts demanded dry cleaning pressing or lot time ironing...

is there a magic brand?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+ 1 as well ---dress shirts PITA washing at home ---- used some downy spray to help get wrinkles out but mostly from traveling packing....

my prior experience with my work dress shirts demanded dry cleaning pressing or lot time ironing...

is there a magic brand?

BB 100% cotton.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Well, I never wash any of my dress shirts at home. Never have and never will. Hate laundry. I just take them to the dry cleaners and have them launder them and tell them no starch. Been doing this with all of my shirts for the last 10 years or so and have never had a problem.

rjt65

Reaction score
BB 100% cotton.

how long do they have to hang for? and I would imagine they need to be hung immediately after washing?

thanks for the input!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how long do they have to hang for? and I would imagine they need to be hung immediately after washing?

thanks for the input!

They're removed from the washing machine immediately. They hang until dry which takes a few hours.

Brian_I

Reaction score
I've always had problems with ring around the collar. The only thing that has ever worked for me on the tough ones was using Murphy's Oil wood cleaner. Got out the toughest collar stains.

Now, I just wash them every other wear.

Smudge

Reaction score
They're removed from the washing machine immediately. They hang until dry which takes a few hours.
+1 though I'd add that you should try and iron your shirts before they dry completely if possible as ironing a bone dry shirt is a PITA.

rjt65

Reaction score
I used to use a spray bottle --with shoes for shining and with shirts when ironing dry...
Originally Posted by Smudge
+1 though I'd add that you should try and iron your shirts before they dry completely if possible as ironing a bone dry shirt is a PITA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads