• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That would be my guess, too. The G is in no way wider than the H.

Xyst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
Yes, I have got an H width. Originally I bought a Blaxland (a Craftsman with a composite sole) in G width, but when I came home I found out I had to cut off a toe. So I had the shop order a H width. The H seemed perfect, but still I had to go to a cobbler to have it stretched at the little toe. Why?
Because I had ordered half a size too little. As this was my first pair of RM Williams, I just had not been used to the wobbling feeling at the heel when walking. I became worried that this wobbling would become worse. So in order to have a tight feeling I took a half size too small, cause this felt all right in the shop. But not when walking.
So my second pair of RM Williams is a pair in my actual shoe size and again in H - and it fitted perfectly! It IS very important to get the right size, so get back to the shop and try until you're sure. The shop should be able to help you - you're the customer
fight[1].gif

What size width shoe do you generally wear? EE or EEE I'm assuming? I'm going to speak with the 59th st. store again this week, but figure it never hurts to know my basis.

I think one of the issues maybe they don't stock the H in anything so I'm guessing it would be a special order...oh and they mentioned something about a $150 nonrefundable deposit for them to order an H width shoe so god help me if that doesn't fit either.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
he must have meant something like "a G width in this boot is actually wider than an H width in that boot"

Originally Posted by Trapp
^That would be my guess, too. The G is in no way wider than the H.

Possibly, maybe I'm getting old and just didn't hear them correctly b/c it was definitely a WTF!? moment for me. Hopefully when I talk to them again this week they'll have everything straightened out after speaking with the home office.

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xyst
What size width shoe do you generally wear? EE or EEE I'm assuming?

If E is standard width British size, then I have got F

I think one of the issues maybe they don't stock the H in anything so I'm guessing it would be a special order...oh and they mentioned something about a $150 nonrefundable deposit for them to order an H width shoe so god help me if that doesn't fit either.

A deposit is reasonable, but not when it is non-refundable. I think that is not very customer friendly. If they want to sell you a pair, they should be able to find out what your right size is and not have you pay anything special. That is putting all responsability on you. In that case they support customers to buying elsewhere in an online shop 'cause what is the advantage of bying in a real shop? Feet are no standardized products. It is not you who has to excuse for not having a G width
laugh.gif

Xyst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
If E is standard width British size, then I have got F A deposit is reasonable, but not when it is non-refundable. I think that is not very customer friendly. If they want to sell you a pair, they should be able to find out what your right size is and not have you pay anything special. That is putting all responsability on you. In that case they support customers to buying elsewhere in an online shop 'cause what is the advantage of bying in a real shop? Feet are no standardized products. It is not you who has to excuse for not having a G width
laugh.gif

I didn't even realize you were in Scandinavia, so sorry. If I remember correctly (and its been a while!) standard width for men's shoes in the US is D, while the standard for UK sizing is F. And yes, I totally agree with you on the ridiculousness of the deposit for trying on a pair of shoes!

ferguscan

Reaction score
I didn't even realize you were in Scandinavia, so sorry. If I remember correctly (and its been a while!) standard width for men's shoes in the US is D, while the standard for UK sizing is F. And yes, I totally agree with you on the ridiculousness of the deposit for trying on a pair of shoes!

Standard for UK is E

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw them in the Östermalm district of Stockholm.

lefty

rbny

Reaction score
This has been a very helpful thread.

I just picked up my first pair of RMWs at the 59th St store in NYC today. With the exception of Alden's Plaza last "soft square/blunt" toe shape, I prefer the rounder toe shape for shoes and settled on the Comfort Turnout (I try to walk as much as I can). After trying on different sizes/widths, I setteld on a size 9G (B530 toe shape) in black Yearling.

I'm hoping they will not stretch too much since they fit perfectly in the store-not tight feeling but "exact" while wearing lightweight running socks.

For sizing reference compared to RMW Turnout 9G:

*Alden Plaza last 9.5D
Alden Barrie/Trubulance last 9D
Common Projects #1528 last 43
JV/Converse Chucks 9.5D
New Balance 993 10.5D
Adidas Samba/Stan Smith 10.5 D
Asolo 520 TPS 10.5D

*Note: For my feet, the fit and volume feels closest to the RMW Turnout 9G.

One of these days, I'll try to post picks.

If this pair works out well, I'll get the another pair in Chestnut (I maybe wrong but it's too bad that you cannot get a pair in shell cord, number 8).

gentpax

Reaction score
Fit question... I've had my 11Gs Craftsman for about a year. Look great and appear to fit my 12D feet perfectly when I'm standing in them. However, I rarely wear them because they just feel off while walking.

Feels like I'm falling forward and the heel is too high (no slide, though). My hips feel tilted forward. Have a couple of pairs of cowboy boots with an even taller heel and I don't get that feeling in them.

Any suggestions?

37degrees

Reaction score
apologies if this has been asked before.

Anyone ordered the maquarie?
Did you go the screwed soul? Or does this turn something marginal into an ultra pointy woman's boot?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
For sizing reference compared to RMW Turnout 9G: *Alden Plaza last 9.5D Alden Barrie/Trubulance last 9D Common Projects #1528 last 43 JV/Converse Chucks 9.5D New Balance 993 10.5D Adidas Samba/Stan Smith 10.5 D Asolo 520 TPS 10.5D
this is interesting...you tend to be only 1/2 size down in RMW sizes compared to US dress shoes, and 1.5 sizes for sneakers. I wear 7.5G in Comfort Craftman and I'm an 8.5 E or even 9 in some dress shoes...and a 9.5 D in Sambas. I wonder if the Turnout fits longer than the CC?
Originally Posted by rbny
If this pair works out well, I'll get the another pair in Chestnut (I maybe wrong but it's too bad that you cannot get a pair in shell cord, number 8).
my next pair is going to be in Claret, which is close to that color I think. another question that is somewhat touched on in the OP: going from Kangaroo to Yearling, do you think I should go from a G to an H in width? IE my 7.5 G Roo CC fits great but since Claret only comes in Yearling leather I need to figure out if I should get another 7.5 G or something different...I am leaning towards 7.5 H.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, does anyone think its silly to other the forum special & then have the sole topy'd? I don't want to bother with getting the soles reheeled, and leather soles aren't perfect for me since I walk a lot and live in Boston. but I love the look of the sleek forum special even for jeans/casual wear. I also wouldn't be ordering the Calf leather b/c this is a casual boot.

my order would be: flat heel, B529 last, Yearling leather in Claret, brass screwed leather soles

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and do it, the screwed soles are a ***** to replace. Nothing wrong with a topy.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
also, does anyone think its silly to other the forum special & then have the sole topy'd? I don't want to bother with getting the soles reheeled, and leather soles aren't perfect for me since I walk a lot and live in Boston. but I love the look of the sleek forum special even for jeans/casual wear. I also wouldn't be ordering the Calf leather b/c this is a casual boot.

my order would be: flat heel, B529 last, Yearling leather in Claret, brass screwed leather soles

DECEMBER

Reaction score
What kind of boot polish is best for these shoes and where can I find some good boot trees that aren't too expensive?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics