• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New & Lingwood ties

joshman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Most of the silks are woven in England

Because they have complexes but a lot of other members including many non posting readers love that sort of thing. And, many mainstream Americans love Duchamp ties.

Before the credit crunch anyone who's anyone in London, certainly from Tony Blair to hedge fund guys to regional news presenters, wore Duchamp ties as an in thing.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've occasionally seen the newscaster Mark Austin on news at Ten wearing Duchamp ties. John Sargent's another as are John Snow and David Dimbleby who chairs Question Time. They seem quite popular with those who work in media. This is Dimbleby Not sure if this is actually a Duchamp, but you get the picture.
question-460_1009767c.jpg
edit: Joshman beat me to it:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshman
Designwise and colourwise, yes.
I bet some of the so-called senior members here would say they are ugly in the extreme.

Yes, they are ugly as sin.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the credit crunch anyone who's anyone in London, certainly from Tony Blair to hedge fund guys to regional news presenters, wore Duchamp ties as an in thing.
Well according to one guy in England, the second hand shops are positively brimming with unwanted Duchampers. I wish he would give a few addys of them so i could get some for the old collection.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I've occasionally seen the newscaster Mark Austin on news at Ten wearing Duchamp ties. John Sargent's another as are John Snow and David Dimbleby who chairs Question Time. They seem quite popular with those who work in media. This is Dimbleby Not sure if this is actually a Duchamp, but you get the picture.

Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt: Beautiful ties

literasyme

Reaction score
Well, I am the Devil, after all
devil.gif

I don't know about that, but you're certainly at the ready to deposit your droppings in any thread that catches your attention. How did this become about the ugliness of Duchamp ties and the supposed complexes of people who don't like them?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I am the Devil, after all
devil.gif

You mean this guy?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The same can be said of Hermes ties and New York City. In both cases, the ties are hideous. When "anyone who's anyone" wears a particular thing, it's usually because they are desperate to suggest they are someone.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt:

Beautiful ties

Mark Austin is interesting because he tends to wear them under a chalkstripe. Brilliant.

literasyme

Reaction score
I don't know that that's true in the case of Duchamp in England. Hermes is different. Loud ties and red socks go sort of hand in hand. I see them as the long-term effects of a youth spent in school uniforms.

joshman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I've occasionally seen the newscaster Mark Austin on news at Ten wearing Duchamp ties. John Sargent's another as are John Snow and David Dimbleby who chairs Question Time. They seem quite popular with those who work in media.

This is Dimbleby Not sure if this is actually a Duchamp, but you get the picture.

Well let me tell you one insider thing.
Peter Mandelson always claims he's the first one who wore Duchamp. This is the story goes around Westminster.
To be honest I sometimes find the colours too strong in real life but on tv they look real good.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well let me tell you one insider thing.
Peter Mandelson always claims he's the first one who wore Duchamp. This is the story goes around Westminster.
To be honest I sometimes find the colours too strong in real life but on tv they look real good.

Peter Meddlesome would get where **** couldn't get. I hate Duchamp now....!!!

literasyme

Reaction score
Jon Snow also wears Victoria Richards ties which are hawt: Beautiful ties
This is wonderful:
“One off” tie which is the sartorial equivalent of a snow flake.
I wonder what the tie-equivalent of a snowflake might look like. Delicate? Unobtrusive? Intricately wrought? Something with a light touch? No. It's this:
620.jpg
Seriously? I mean, you're free to like this sort of thing, but to claim some kind of special aesthetic place for it is a little benighted. It looks like it's made from a pair of velvet leggings, c. 1984.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics