• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, I'm very much interested in 50s vintage right now. Have been picking up some pieces here and there at thrifts. Seem to fit right into my Americana preference.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing skinny black jeans with skinny black coats, dark low V neck jumpers or loose cardigans and huge high tops or dress shoes for basically the entire winter. Once its spring again I'm just going to start wearing preppy clothes again, I have some pretty garish Fred Perry plaid herringtons and varsity jumpers I haven't yet worn, I just need some really skinny white denim.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White denim is awesome. Black is so overrated, gray and white do wonders for your wardrobe.

I've on SF a while but I haven't spent as much as others mostly because of money issues so every purchase I had to make was a HUGE decision. My my most expensive purchase so far is one my oldest, TaT, not even topping $500.

But through careful planning I've managed to scrape enough of a wardrobe together where I can wear different outfits everyday of the week and still feel like I'm holding up some sort of "standard" (before I had to switch in a old of older clothes so 2-3 days out of the week I looked like crap).

I've built up enough basics that I've wanted (shoes, jackets mostly) so I'm set with what I "need". So if anything, I feel like I just finished the early stage of my style growth and now..

...I have no ******* idea. Most days I'm just lazy, wake up, throw on whatever and a leather jacket. I'll probably buy some sweats/loose wool pants and walk around in that a lot. I like my older, beat up, worn in classics better than other items (my levis are perfect, my APCs are meh) and I really appreciate well made items (especially good shoes).

So hopefully most of my stuff will last a while until I start copping stuff but until then I suspect it's just going to get more beat to **** and I'll come out looking pretty ratty.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well here's an about-face: I've been bitten by the gingham bug. Last year on the Levi's webite they had a cheap orange-white micro-check western shirt that I mulled over, but decided not to get because I didn't like the button snaps. I kinda wished I had jumped for it now. Now I'm looking at the Epaulet green gingham shirt. Of course, the question is: how could I get it to work with the pieces I already have? At the least, I think I'd need a decent pair of brown boots.

Guus

Reaction score
I have always(even when I was just a 4 year old boy) worn 40s, 50s, 60, European middle class style.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like indigo denim the least. My wardrobe consists of only black, grey, and khaki denim. Goes well with my current aesthetic.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still searching for a pair of grey denim in the same shade as those slim W+H "coal" jeans from a season back or so.

I just started a job that requires dressier clothes, so most of my casual wardrobe has to be reserved for the weekends or the odd weeknight I'll go out. That's fine, though, since I've still got a ways to go in assembling my casual arsenal.

For the last year, I've been bouncing back and forth between the quality vs. quantity camps. I can't really afford to have every shirt I own be some $100+ number. By the same token, I've found few shirts sub-$50 that I would want to wear more than once or twice.

I don't plan on having a lot of disposable income for a long time, so I'm just gonna go with a plan of attack where I've got a really good pair of denim, nice coat, good boots, and a nice jacket. Then I'll just fill in the blanks with Gap basics, Uniqlo/mid-range brand shirting, and the occasional higher end item (read: something Mauro or Epaulet might put out).

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I don't know about white, but grey denim is awesome, and black denim is definitely overrated.

I just got my first pair of grey jeans and am crazy about them. Everyone should have a pair. Looks really good with darker sweaters and shirts because of the greater contrast than with indigo. I am keeping my indigo jeans of course, just getting a little more variety into the mix

Largo

Reaction score
Working more towards solid, higher-end pieces (at higher-end prices), kind of aiming towards a mil-surp-goth-hobo aesthetic of sorts. Granted, I have enough vaguely SuFu prep stuff as foundations that works now, but I think there's a happy medium in the middle of all the interesting fabric workwear, gothy military NDG type stuff where all the similar influences meet, or at least lets me mix up pieces from seemingly disparate lines.

Also, after two years of study on the subject in NYC, nobody wants to discuss the merits of zipper brands. Just sayin'.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the wonderful colours have a place

Probably going to do a big consolidation sale soon

I pretty much have no idea were I'm going, have a whole bunch of nice pieces that I usually pull an outfit around. Can do workwear or minimalist or ivy etc etc

Kinda happy buying more pieces like that, the crazier stuff lasts way longer then the seasonal trend stuff, as Fuuma said. Would be happy wearing awesome knit, dh denim and cp's/MMM/army sneaks everyday. Mix up a ro t with some waxed denim and a leather when I go out, dh raws, white t and sandals (south willard holla) when I'm chilling

The pieces I regret getting are the stand out ones and never the lame basics.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
I actually like indigo denim the least. My wardrobe consists of only black, grey, and khaki denim. Goes well with my current aesthetic.

I just think it's crazy how some people never grow out of an SF uniform and simply dark raw indigo APC jeans with... another dark raw indigo pair of jeans. Rotating in two colors will suddenly make your wardrobe WAY bigger.

<3 my white denim, I'd say it's the most underrated. Works with a lot of stuff, isn't hard to pull off, and let's be honest, friends are already giving you gripe about how tight your jeans are so why does it matter if they're white?

Plus girls love them.

But I really hate brightly colored jeans. Some can look good, if done well. Like Geller, some Levis, Julian Red, that kind of stuff. Well done shades of light blue, or dark purple, etc. Too bad there's such an influx of brightly colored skintight jeans in cheap UO brands that I probably see an entire rainbow's worth awkward man curves on a daily basis (something weird about jeans on a guy so tight you an make out every curvature of his thighs and calf
crazy.gif
).

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some cheap prl white denim that is pretty good ATM

Want some white spurr pipe legs big time

My summer outfit was bespoke button down or crew t, white slim denim and Alden flex welts.

First summer I loved.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

Want some white spurr pipe legs big time

I have these in grey and indigo -- love em. never thought about getting them in white, but you are making me think of that now.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I have these in grey and indigo -- love em. never thought about getting them in white, but you are making me think of that now.

I'm probably going to NS for my dress denim as the fit will work well for something only worn once in awhile, 1 day a week max,

The spurr pipe leg fit is nice, will be perfect with a little bit of taper.

Should be pretty sweet come next summer. I'm thinking about getting some hippy leatherworker my design friends know to make me some awesome sandals. Low profile leather sole, big toe strap and then a higher vamp strip over the arch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads