• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cordovan + rain = ???

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nubiana on shell? you have more guts than me
smile.gif
Originally Posted by DrZRM
#8 and black seem great in the rain, it seems to me the lighter colors like whiskey, the C&J brown of the darltons and the mid brown of my Riders are more likely to get water spots. They go away eventually, very quickly with the application of Creme Nubiana, but I avoid grabbing those shoes if it looks rainy. The darker colors hold up very well.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
smile.gif

Why do people fear this? I do it with positive consequences.

Groover

Reaction score
I've had shell that has 'welted' after the rain and shell that hasn't.

I've also had the welts disappear over time (days to weeks in some cases) and I've also had pairs where the welts haven't gone.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
Alden SC is <50% of cost of many of the fancy UK/EU brand calfskin shoes
meh, in practice, not really. new Edward Greens and G&G's have been selling for the past couple weeks on B&S for amounts ranging from $400 ish to $650 ish that's pretty close to the retail of Alden Shell models...and on B&S they don't sell for much less than their "retail" price the retail price of EG and C&J etc may be more than twice as much, but they can be found cheaper on sale. thats true to a much lesser extent for the Aldens, particularly shell

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ron Rider suggests it if I remember correctly. I've had no problems.

Originally Posted by rioni
smile.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
It is rain-friendlier than calfskin for sure.

No question about that. But I think a lot of people get the mistaken impression that "rain-friendlier than calfskin" somehow means "weatherproof." I've read talk on these boards about people's buying shell boots for hiking and climbing and whatnot. For those sorts of people, I think some realism is in order. Shell may be more rugged than calf, but it's still relatively delicate on the broad spectrum of all shoe materials.

If you're caught in the rain wearing shell, you'll probably be fine. But I wouldn't intentionally take shell out into the rain under the mistaken impression that it's purpose-built for said conditions.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water removes water spots. It has always worked for me.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A calfskin pair of mine still retain small blisters from an drizzle that became a deluge about a month or so ago. I fear that I made the problem worse by re-pollishing them after the third or fourth day. They were indeed dry, but still badly blistered. Not thick, but just several of them spread throughout the toe.

prajna12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Cordovans, and am wondering what is a good recommended creme for them? I checked the francos web site but they seem to be out of the Cordovan color.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prajna12
I just ordered a pair of Cordovans, and am wondering what is a good recommended creme for them? I checked the francos web site but they seem to be out of the Cordovan color.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

AE has a creme for cordovan that's also very good. Kiwi wax works, too, and is also recommended highly by Alden.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
#8 and black seem great in the rain, it seems to me the lighter colors like whiskey, the C&J brown of the darltons and the mid brown of my Riders are more likely to get water spots. They go away eventually, very quickly with the application of Creme Nubiana, but I avoid grabbing those shoes if it looks rainy. The darker colors hold up very well.

Interesting. I'm wearing a pair of Whiskey Shell Cordovans from Vass today, and it was raining when I went to lunch. I now see small water spots on them even after I wiped them down with a cotton cloth. Hopefully they disappear over a few days or so, otherwise I will try something different.

Does anyone else know if the 50% white vinegar solution is safe for whiskey shell? And if so, how long does one wait before applying it?

Also, when I wiped them down this afternoon w/ the cotton cloth, I buffed with a fair amount of pressure. Is this bad?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Also, when I wiped them down this afternoon w/ the cotton cloth, I buffed with a fair amount of pressure. Is this bad?
This is good. The more pressure the better.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Thanks

I think I will give them a week to see if the spots go away before buying any creams, etc

Simply wiping them with a damp cloth followed by a rigorous brushing and then buffing, will sometimes do the trick, too.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think
foo.gif
's 1-shoo might be sc - have you asked him?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads