• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

tailorgod

Reaction score
Actually, it could be worse:

And no, this is not meant to be drape!
smack.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
jeffreyd, since you are The Line King (get it????), why does the stripes go up to his neck like that? Is that the only way it can be done on a larger person or is there a way of making the lines straight and hence, not make the person look so portly in the middle?

The Germans, who are obsessed with getting that line perfectly vertical all the way up and down have a way of dealing with it, but I don't think it would work with a belly of that size; by straightening the shoulder, which would eliminate some of the leaning, you throw some of the excess to the side instead of the front, where it is needed. I thunk stripes should be avoided for this type of figure for this very reason.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
IAlso,I would believe that clothing is the purview of every man whether he is big, overweight, young, short, old, sickly, cadaverously underweight, ugly, wide hipped and narrow shouldered, sunken chested, poor postured, or has a wing bladed back. I dont get why someone would have to apoloize for their looks to you or anyone else?

Ha! That is rich coming from you. Your entire raison d'etre on the interweb is to criticize others, usually by reference to class (hopsack anyone?). Yet, when the table is turned you claim to be the victim.

My first thought on seeing your pic was of Mr. Creosote...your homophobic comments have merely confirmed that my initial perception of you was correct.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
rolleyes.gif

A cast of my stomach was used as the model for the Spartans in the movie.

884691e94ebutler.jpg.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Ha! That is rich coming from you. Your entire raison d'etre on the interweb is to criticize others, usually by reference to class (hopsack anyone?).
It hasn't been but it may going forward; so, better hold onto your sock. Hey, class doesnt exist, that's why it doesnt bother you.
smile.gif
Class in taste doesn't have a lot to do with money or where you were born but you would need to be on your prescription to process that.
Yet, when the table is turned you claim to be the victim.
It's so obvious, can't you do a slightly better act for us? How do you maintain such influence with the mods here?
My first thought on seeing your pic was of Mr. Creosote...your homophobic comments have merely confirmed that my initial perception of you was correct.
Right, well coming from a dishonest lunatic , that's something of a compliment
wink.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The technical details of a suit are a tailor's job. Any man who is not a tailor and wants to be considered a tailor, is a geek and further cannot possibly understand the overall picture of clothing and style. What's worse is when said geek doesnt even know what he's talking about and makes things up to boot.
laugh.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I've gotten this same thing here and in retail shops.

E.g., went to BB for their sale, tried on a 36R in the regent. The trouser was cut awfully small in the waist and seat (smaller than RLBL, surprisingly).

As a man of narrow waist an ample ass, I found the trousers didn't fit, and the tailor there cautioned that there was not enough fabric to accommodate my posterior.

Both she and the SA recommended I try on a 38. The shoulders extended past my shoulder and made my head look like a pin, not to mention the several inches of excess fabric thtroughout the chest and body.

The SA said it looked fantastic.
ffffuuuu.gif

foo.gif
apparently also thinks I should build up the shoulders. But frankly, I don't mind being a beanpole and would prefer looking too slim to invoking 80s Armani.

I have seen many of your posts in WAYWRN thread and it never ever crossed my mind that you might benefit from paded shoulders. IMHO, your suits fit you very well.
Please post the names of people who advised you on doing that, so I can ignore their posts in a future.
bigstar[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I suugest that jefferyd track Bunny, dart him, skin the pelt, and leave him to awake groggily on the UWS with just a trace of spittle on the chin.

While hr comes to progressively angrily, rip the pelt apart and analyze it (no: not analyze in the edmorel fashion. )

After the analysis us done, I suggest donating it to a senior fnb.com memberso that they can make sweet, sweet love on it in front of their gas fireplace.

Oh: cheers!

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I suugest that jefferyd track Bunny, dart him, skin the pelt, and leave him to awake groggily on the UWS with just a trace of spittle on the chin.

While hr comes to progressively angrily, rip the pelt apart and analyze it (no: not analyze in the edmorel fashion. )

After the analysis us done, I suggest donating it to a senior fnb.com memberso that they can make sweet, sweet love on it in front of their gas fireplace.

Oh: cheers!

- B

Are you vacating?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads