• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
what's actually wrong with the suit?

pict1120lo9.jpg

Nice fit (for a sausage skin)!

Bockwurst.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
The sleeve thing is due to the cut of the undersleeve, not pressing. A clean sleeve will be less mobile than one that has a certain type of messiness in the undersleeve.

I don't think so. Pretty much all my jackets have very full sleeves, and the rear nonetheless hangs cleanly. It's absolutely possible to have fullness without messiness.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally came to the current end of this threak and now my eyes are bleeding.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? I don't have a ponytail!

a certain type of messiness in the undersleeve.

How do I know you are not "Jeffery Dino"?
smile.gif

Please elaborate on "certain type."

- M

PS, I'll lay off the ponytail Sifu thingy.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
pict1120lo9.jpg
Nice fit (for a sausage skin)!
Bockwurst.jpg

But this is a personal attack by you on the individual and not about the quality,fit or construction of the suit. A tailor can only make the best suit he can, he cannot account for the whopping immaturity of geeks on a message board
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Where is Sator when you need him? For about a year now, he has maintained that drape is the ideal cut for portly men. Indeed, he claims that drape was designed for the heavy man.

He could straighten this whole mess out.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't think so. Pretty much all my jackets have very full sleeves, and the rear nonetheless hangs cleanly. It's absolutely possible to have fullness without messiness.

Of course. But what I'm talking about is a very long undersleeve which IS messy, and which is much more mobile than any clean sleeve will be. I feel like I need to get drawing..........

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Where is Sator when you need him? For about a year now, he has maintained that drape is the ideal cut for portly men. Indeed, he claims that drape was designed for the heavy man.

He could straighten this whole mess out.

In the Antipode's defense, that is why I wear draped jackets.

Oh: cheers!

- B

asdf

Reaction score
I think also that because I simply do not care about mens' bodies that I must be part of that small percentage that is in no way gay. There are those that are happily gay, those that aren't and a large proportion that live in a state of denial in the middle ground.
smile.gif

But this is a personal attack by you on the individual and not about the quality,fit or construction of the suit. A tailor can only make the best suit he can, he cannot account for the whopping immaturity of geeks on a message board
smile.gif

Somewhat amusing that you mention personal attacks so soon after your brief appeal to homophobia. I agree that this thread should not be about sausage skins, but neither should it divert into the merits of the homosexualists, nor the safety of homophobia.

Queue Vox with the "people on forums acting classy" bit....

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys should read this thread. http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=778 The Duke of Windsor probably had Scholte invent this silhouette to be unique, very much the way the English like to have a shirt pattern no one else has. The English thought it was a quirky, vulgar style. Because the Americans liked his (Edward VIII's) style it became popular enough to open Anderson and Sheppard. It never caught on in the UK because the English cannot stand the sloppiness of the style. It never caught on for most Americans for the same reasons. The Americans who kept it going were the sort of Americans who thought royalty was the ultimate in social climbing and wanted to fantasize that they'd been crowned. That type of crowd is easy to dupe which allowed A&S to become increasingly cynical about its attention to detail an construction. The only places that seem to have copied this look are FLusser and Rubinacci, both of whom also seem to be set up for the tourist trade. I sympathize with American customers who simply hear through the grapevine that A&S is the place to go but there is less excuse for self styled experts who research and analysis skills are so poor that they can't catch the true reasons for A&S's limited success.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally wear my shirts fuller than the skin tight style many here prefer and that can cause some disturbance to Nino's jacket lines too, including the shoulder.

Shouldn't Nino, being the master tailor that he is, take your shirt style into account when doing your fitting?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Of course. But what I'm talking about is a very long undersleeve which IS messy, and which is much more mobile than any clean sleeve will be. I feel like I need to get drawing..........

I like a mobile sleeve, but I also want it to be clean. I don't see how, if my sleeves were messy, they would be any more mobile. In any event, I am happy with the mobility I have. I wouldn't want any less, but I don't think I need any more.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
.... Somewhat amusing that you mention personal attacks so soon after your brief appeal to homophobia. I agree that this thread should not be about sausage skins, but neither should it divert into the merits of the homosexualists, nor the safety of homophobia. Queue Vox with the "people on forums acting classy" bit....
Actually, I think gay men would be a lot nicer, and straight men wouldn't care. I think sissies who think their manhood is in peril of slipping, get off on examining mens' bodies. So when I use the term "gay", I meant it from a descriptive pov not the actual life style. Perhaps i should use the word "****"? Or perhaps I should get off the term altogether and use "Fruit cake" which also describes the mental state of some of the forum sissies?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Shouldn't Nino, being the master tailor that he is, take your shirt style into account when doing your fitting?
I think he does take mine into account becaue my shirts work very well with my suits but it will still bulge in a pinned fiting without jacket lining. I dont know what Dr. Teplitz's shirt was on that given day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads