• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Being poor was not a cause to get into fights where I grew up. It's not like anyone was rich. I mean, not having to put plastic over your windows in the winter, or having a car with a working heater, were status symbols.
Well, I was already "different" being the only person of Asian descent in school and kids would taunt or tease me for a number of things. One easy one was that I was wearing goodwill clothes, hand me down shoes, had cheap glasses, and brought things like a bowl of beans to school for lunch in a brown bag (that I had to use until it wore out). I'm sure that if I'd have been comfortably middle class like many of the other kids in that school, they would have teased me about something else. Either way, a person can only take so much taunting/being shoved around/ having your **** stolen or clothes ripped/etc. before he develops a bad attitude. I was also being beaten at home if that makes any difference. I had an attitude problem.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well until 5 years ago we didn't have running water, family made some poor financial decisions. I also still help with the house payments, with 2 minimum jobs and even selling clothing on here to help out. I sell enough crap and work hard so I somehow have some spending money.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Well, I was already "different" and kids would taunt or tease me for a number of things. One easy one was that I was wearing goodwill clothes, hand me down shoes, had cheap glasses, and brought things like a bowl of beans to school for lunch in a brown bag (that I had to use until it wore out).

I'm sure that if I'd have been comfortably middle class like many of the other kids in that school, they would have teased me about something else. Either way, a person can only take so much taunting/being shoved around/ having your **** stolen or clothes ripped/etc. before he develops a bad attitude.

I was also being beaten at home if that makes any difference. I had an attitude problem.

Man, are you working off some bad karma.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know why I'm on this site, can't afford 1/10th of the clothes I like.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Man, are you working off some bad karma.

Something like that.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a crazy thread. If I thought most of you had any reason to lie, I'd call BS on half of you. Some of you have really pulled yourself up. Others seem to have a good attitude despite a pretty bad situation. The shittiest position I've ever been in was last year after being laid off from my first real job out of uni. My lease was up and I ended up rooming with a friend for a while for $300 a month. I ended up racking up a fair bit of CC debt anyway and taking a hit on my credit rating due to a stupid decision and a stupid woman, but am on track for a 2010 that should take me out of debt completely (student and car loan) and put me on the road to home ownership within a couple years.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rough patch when I was very young. But never poor. I think my parents glossed it over well to the eyes of a child.

I'm actually very lucky to be a leg up on most people my age and I have a lot of thanks to give to my parents for that. They both came from poverty, in my fathers case extreme poverty in Southern Italy and then LA after immigrating. The frugal values of people who were once poor go along way once you actually have some money.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you from windsor?

Being poor was not a cause to get into fights where I grew up. It's not like anyone was rich. I mean, not having to put plastic over your windows in the winter, or having a car with a working heater, were status symbols.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we were pretty poor growing up, I am finding it hard as an adult not to resent people who came from middle-class suburbia.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Well, I was already "different" being the only person of Asian descent in school and kids would taunt or tease me for a number of things. One easy one was that I was wearing goodwill clothes, hand me down shoes, had cheap glasses, and brought things like a bowl of beans to school for lunch in a brown bag (that I had to use until it wore out).

I'm sure that if I'd have been comfortably middle class like many of the other kids in that school, they would have teased me about something else. Either way, a person can only take so much taunting/being shoved around/ having your **** stolen or clothes ripped/etc. before he develops a bad attitude.

I was also being beaten at home if that makes any difference. I had an attitude problem.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
we were pretty poor growing up, I am finding it hard as an adult not to resent people who came from middle-class suburbia.

Don't blame them - they were never afforded the opportunities to gain street cred that you and Pio were handed.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i find it ironically appropriate that everytime i go into General Chat, this thread is right next to the "Divorce sucks" thread

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of homeless, whatever happened to Bergdorf Goodwill?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads