• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
No offense but the what the hell is with westerners' obsession with having elevated beds? This isn't the Middle Ages people, we don't need elevated beds to keep up from the hay and mud floor of our hut. Is it seriously too much of a hassle to to stand up from the floor rather than a normal bed? This is the perfect example of western pig-headed thriftlessness, and one of the reasons everything's so damn expensive in our countries- everybody thinks they can live on their own and anything less than middle-class poshness is 'poverty,' and they demand huge salaries for even the most hapless tasks. If society was thriftier, I'm sure someone on the OP's budget would be more comfortable (e.g. there's be more decent low-rent apartments, cheaper foods, better public transport, etc).

I put stuff under my bed, it saves floor space.

I'm **** poor, but dependent, so I get to see how **** poor I'll really be after I graduate. Getting insane bills month after month makes you really value turning off lights, leaky faucets, just little common sense things that annoyed you as a child.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am actually **** rich. took 4 dumps just today. i am a **** baller.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
(acutally are there any projects not located in the bad part of town?).

Yes all over Manhattan. I just looked at a $2495/mo 1Br APT. next to the PJs...They're probably paying $800/mo
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
My mom, her husband at the time, my sister, and myself lived in an 8x12 storage unit without power or water and bathed at a coin-op laundromat for a year. I was 11 or so.

Never been that poor. Always managed to have a place meant to be a residence, with running water.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Never been that poor. Always managed to have a place meant to be a residence, with running water.
I take it your sole family breadwinner has never been a street musician.
smile.gif
My mom knows how to pick em.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I'm not **** poor but I'm feeling a bit pinched lately. My earnings have been flat while my expenses have gone up. I don't think I've seen a raise in about 3 years. My kid is getting older and his schooling and other necessities seem to cost more each year. I'd start my own business (law practice) if only my health insurance wasn't tied to my current job.

Presently I own two non-fabulous vehicles (both paid-for), a modest house (affordable fixed-rate mortgage) --but I can't afford to replace or improve any of these things. If you asked me three years ago would I be making more by now I would have said yes. I'm not overextended but I have some anxiety over how I would deal with an interruption in income or having to replace a vehicle, roof, furnace, or similar.

I can easily envision a perfect storm type situation that would make me pretty damn **** poor.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Not **** poor i guess considering i have a nice apt, have internet/cable/dvr, and eat pretty well. I am pretty frugal though. Probably urine poor though or shart poor though.

I think I agree with this. I'll call it "fresh out of college poor."

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think I agree with this. I'll call it "fresh out of college poor."
That will be me in a few months. Excited yet anxious.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
That will be me in a few months. Excited yet anxious.

While it sucks to not have your parents paying the bills anymore, there is something completely freeing and exhilarating about being on your own in terms of money. I mean, I don't get to work and just blow all my money on the **** I want to do anymore, but it feels awesome to actually pay my own bills, even if it means I only get $50 "play" money a month.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This shows you've never been poor. An entry level job in the financial industry =! **** poor. When you can't go on a school field trip because it costs $5, that's **** poor.
I didn't actually go to school for a long time because I was so poor I'd get in a lot of fights over it. My mom enrolled me in "home schooling" which basically means that I roamed the streets shoplifting and selling the stuff for food money. Also when I picked up my drug habit and lost my virginity. Hung out with a lot of unsavory people.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Svenn
No offense but the what the hell is with westerners' obsession with having elevated beds?
I sleep on a hand-me-down futon on the floor. And even though I don't really LOOK like a "Westerner" I guess I pretty much am. I'm not obsessed with an elevated bed. Though eventually I'll probably end up getting one. Just for appearances sake.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I didn't actually go to school for a long time because I was so poor I'd get in a lot of fights over it. My mom enrolled me in "home schooling" which basically means that I roamed the streets shoplifting and selling the stuff for food money. Also when I picked up my drug habit and lost my virginity. Hung out with a lot of unsavory people.
smile.gif

Being poor was not a cause to get into fights where I grew up. It's not like anyone was rich. I mean, not having to put plastic over your windows in the winter, or having a car with a working heater, were status symbols.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads