• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
When I was younger, I use to live in the projects in the bad part of town (acutally are there any projects not located in the bad part of town?). Food stamps and all that fun stuff...

Been at my current job almost a year now, but before that I was jobless for almost a year and half because of the downturn in the economy.

Life is rough, but keep on plugging along and it will get better. And like ed said if you're paying for internet, drop that bill first. Drop cable TV, drop everything you dont need period.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
if you have internet access, you are not **** poor.

Yeah, I'm definitely not poor.

The thing is though in this country, the UK, I am technically speaking below the poverty line. Which is ridiculous as I have a laptop etc.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No need to elaborate.
I was quite literally penniless and homeless.

I am not anymore.
'Nuff said.

I was more interested into how that came to be, but if it's personal then fair enough.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
And like ed said if you're paying for internet, drop that bill first. Drop cable TV, drop everything you dont need period.

I've never had cable tv. I'm not poor so I'm not complaining. I can't actually drop the internet though, I'm doing a computer science degree; travelling to uni/a library would be more expensive considering how often I need it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Yeah, I'm definitely not poor.

The thing is though in this country, the UK, I am technically speaking below the poverty line. Which is ridiculous as I have a laptop etc.

I was more interested into how that came to be, but if it's personal then fair enough.

More proof that poor people stay poor because of bad decisions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been poor as a child, 3 or 4 times we were basically at the mercy of a landlord that could have evicted us, and most of my growing up we were at the stage where we had an old car, the kids wore used clothes, and we has to be very careful of what we ate.

when I got out of the army I had something like 200 bucks, no clothes, no place to live, no car.

4 years ago the company I worked for went bankrupt, I had spent my life savings on moving my family to the states, and the company that I had worked for, before going bankrupt, hadn't paid me everyting it owed me, so I was pretty broke with no savings and no job, a pregnant wife and a 5 year old son. that was about the toughest period of my life.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
More proof that poor people stay poor because of bad decisions.

I'm not poor. But in this situation because of poor decisions. Not the laptop though, that + my degree is my way to a better life. But I think buying C&Js with last of savings, not my best move.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
No, unless you stole the computer and are posting this from a shelter/cardboard box and your last meal came from a garbage can.

By that token, when Rube was homeless and penniless he wasn't really poor, because he had not been previously.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am a lot poorer than I have been for the last few years. discretionary income has been pretty nonexistent as of late because of a big mortgage, car payments, cc bills, student loans and down income as of late (which seems to be once again changing for the better).

The poorest I ever was when my first son was born. we were 24, newly married, I was making 20k a year and my rent was 700 a month. was driving a 20 year old car, was rolling quarters for groceries and receiving grocery store gift cards as presents from family. eating tuna, spaghetti and chuck steaks when we could. no nights out, no movies, no anything really.

musicboohoo[1].gif

I got married in '92, still in college, working in the mailroom. Making 12.5K/year. Again, if you eat food every day,even if it is ramen, and have a permanent roof over your head, you are not **** poor!

Take a look at pics of Haiti, even before the earthquake, that is **** poor. the great thing about the US is that you can be poor, and assuming you don't have any psychological/drug addiction issues, you have the opportunity to work you way to a better life. A lot of the truly poor countries, you are born poor, you staying poor until you die.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I was growing up and my father died, we were poor. We still had a house, his small pension, but it was to the point I'd mow lawns and work on local farms to buy school clothes. For the first couple of years after my father died, it was the local church that gave us a turkey and some presents for Xmas and turkey for thanksgiving.

When I moved out, I went through some even poorer times. Like, making soup from ketchup packages taken from restaurants. I didn't like that, so learned to really bust ******.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i hear you, but on a forum where the average member makes 250 out of the gate, i think i was relatively **** poor.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
For the first couple of years after my father died, it was the local church that gave us a turkey and some presents for Xmas and turkey for thanksgiving.

I hear you. one passover, when I was 15 or so, a delivery truck from a grocery store pulls up and delivers a load of food. some anonamous doner had bought us groceries for the holiday.

never made soup from ketchup, but for most of high school I worked 4 shifts a week in a fast food resteraunt, and would get 2 hamburgers a shift. so all of my protien was basically these 8 little burgers a week, for years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I used to call it, "Mowmow Soup."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads