• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heroes of Newerth/Dota

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured that since Cod5 has its own thread so why don't we start one for HoN/DotA? It's more HoN these days for me but since DotA is balancing differently now I still like to keep up with the scene.

So, who plays? Your thoughts? Has it made your life better or worse? Do you want to quit when you see deadwood on the other team (or scout on your team?)? This is the thread for you!

username: flat_head (dressed by the internet I see), in b4 "lol your stats suck so everything you say is invalid"

Inaugural first whine: Deadwood is disgusting. He can run around with boots and solo instagib most heroes with gear at level 6. He is so item independent that he rapes without them - anything he gets just makes him **** more. He's the latest step in the S2 circlejerk that thinks that their heroes being banned and used in tournaments = better hero design, when in reality they're just OP as ****.

Discus.

Brian SD

Reaction score
+1 on deadwood. He's pretty much a joke right now. All of S2's heroes are way overpowered. They have this mentality that playing 4v5 for 30 minutes and then having your carry come out and auto attack everything to death is fun. It's not.

I still prefer HON over Dota because the engine is far superior.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
+1 on deadwood. He's pretty much a joke right now. All of S2's heroes are way overpowered. They have this mentality that playing 4v5 for 30 minutes and then having your carry come out and auto attack everything to death is fun. It's not. I still prefer HON over Dota because the engine is far superior.
lol they realized playing 4v5 wasn't that fun, so they went and made a hero that could **** 4v5 :| I think S2's idea of good hero design is to have every single skill on every single one of their heroes be a "killer" - that is, a gamechanger by itself. Compare puppet master and maliken (i really hate maliken too) to heroes like pyro and hag (formerly known as lina and akasha). pyro and hag are well designed because they really do have skill synergy - every one combines to make a part of a whole, coherent, well-designed theme. They're going to run out of hero ideas soon because they'll find that the heroes they make already do every damn thing. Then they'll port dark seer and dirge, which I wouldn't mind at all. Engine is great though, but once map editor is out and someone makes a direct dota port, I'm playing that.

Brian SD

Reaction score
On the contrary I think the S2 heroes have too much synergy. Deadwood is a perfect example, where all his abilities go perfectly together.

Engineer is a good design. His abilities make him an asset and have good synergy but he's not a monster like Forsaken Archer or Madman (prior to his most recent nerf).

I played Dota for years, dude. I won't be playing the direct dota port if someone does indeed make one. It's the kind of game that needs to evolve over time, and S2's evolution is going to be the best as they have a real development team and access to information and statistics that IceFrog never did.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
On the contrary I think the S2 heroes have too much synergy. Deadwood is a perfect example, where all his abilities go perfectly together.

Engineer is a good design. His abilities make him an asset and have good synergy but he's not a monster like Forsaken Archer or Madman (prior to his most recent nerf).

I played Dota for years, dude. I won't be playing the direct dota port if someone does indeed make one. It's the kind of game that needs to evolve over time, and S2's evolution is going to be the best as they have a real development team and access to information and statistics that IceFrog never did.

I think they only look like they have synergy because they're OP as ****. The platonic ideal of S2 hero synergy is a hero with blink and three AoE stuns.

I agree that engi's recent buff made him pretty balanced - only reason he isn't used more I guess is because the metagame isn't kind to him right now - once we get more pushing in, he'll definitely be an asset because he can completely gimp towers.

I guess what you say is true, which is why S2's patch cycle is much much faster than icefrog's. Ultimately it'll become a better game I think, but right now, given the same engine, I'd probably play dota. Not being an icefrog fanboy here, but even with better statistics and information about the way the game is played, it won't mean a thing if you can't balance properly.

lovelysteve

Reaction score
<- firewizard

Buffed blacksmith is so fun to pubstomp with.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelysteve
<- firewizard

Buffed blacksmith is so fun to pubstomp with.

it's absurd. against anyone who doesn't invest in a hood (most people) you're basically doing true damage. Codex blacksmith for instagib nonsense.

adversity04

Reaction score
username: nad

I've been playing too much newerth of late, but it's good times. I'll agree with the deadwood statements, but I find in the games I play pushing isn't ever an issue. Some of my friends only play EM though which is a pain **********.
ffffuuuu.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of HoN, but I've been playing dota for 3-4 years now (though I haven't played competitively in a few years). I'll have to check this out.

edit: beta key for HoN plz?

virus646

Reaction score
You dislike Deadwood (which is btw, the best anti-carry and mid solo I can think of)? Just play BD and your problem is solved. He's certainly very easy for him to pub stomp but you won't solo a team like carries does.

And the only reason to play Em is to have a fun non-serious game.

Anyone thinks that this game makes you angry/rage way too easily?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
god yes. some people are just marsupialed. not to mention that the hon/dota community is easily the worst of any game that I can think of. Most games I play these days are just IH's with friends though, just to keep the stress down.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This game is remarkably similar to dota...it's a little eerie.
Some of the heroes are exactly the same.

It's a lot of fun.

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
You dislike Deadwood (which is btw, the best anti-carry and mid solo I can think of)? Just play BD and your problem is solved. He's certainly very easy for him to pub stomp but you won't solo a team like carries does.

And the only reason to play Em is to have a fun non-serious game.

Anyone thinks that this game makes you angry/rage way too easily?

I rage when my pub team gets stomped by deadwood and let a carry kill them all :-/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads