• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Does anyone else wear shell in summer? Currently I have 2 shell boots in #8 (indy in leather sole, wingtip w/commando), 1 boot in black(jumper boot arriving shortly, Thanks Tom!) and whiskey longwings. Because of the comfort level I like to wear them year round.

Just wondered what the authorities think the "appropriateness " level of shell boots in summer is?

Please no responses telling me to do what I like. I'm not looking for advice. I'm just curious.
teacha.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, Since we typically don't choose contrast stitching on our Indy makeups, I've had a few like-minded customers ask if you can eliminate the contrast on the stock boots. I wanted to post up my own pair for you to check out. These are the stock 405's. They're about six months old, and I wear them around 3x a week. I've put about a dozen applications of Meltonian dark brown shoe cream on them. At first, the stitching resisted the color and didn't darken much at all. But regular applications - along with getting the boots wet and wearing in the stitching a bit - will eventually darken it. Here's some pics after a fresh polish. The two shots at the bottom show a comparison against a brand new 405.
4283059578_6bef200855.jpg
See larger
4283058334_c1b106124a.jpg
See larger
4283063128_6894050abc.jpg
See larger
4283064494_f8f67d218c.jpg
See larger

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
Does anyone else wear shell in summer? Currently I have 2 shell boots in #8 (indy in leather sole, wingtip w/commando), 1 boot in black(jumper boot arriving shortly, Thanks Tom!) and whiskey longwings. Because of the comfort level I like to wear them year round.

Just wondered what the authorities think the "appropriateness " level of shell boots in summer is?

Please no responses telling me to do what I like. I'm not looking for advice. I'm just curious.
teacha.gif

i wanted the black jumper boots ... i thought they were sold out
eh.gif

erbs

Reaction score
Does anyone have the leather-lined 405s in stock yet?

I know Shoemart has the chromexcel version, but I'm looking for the regular calf leather.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
i wanted the black jumper boots ... i thought they were sold out
eh.gif

Long story. Suffice to say that Tom is a true gentleman.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc

teacha.gif

Never even considered the question of whether to wear cordovan in summer before reading it here a while ago.
I tend not to wear cordovan boots in summer but that's just because they're boots and I tend not to wear boots as often in the summer.
I wear my cordovan wingtips and monks year round. I don't think cordovan feels any warmer than calf.

I have some cordovan loafers that are definitely summer shoes though.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Does anybody have pics of the regular black Indys from the Madison Ave shop?

Bad lighting, but here's some:

jc54238169.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
Does anyone have the leather-lined 405s in stock yet?

I know Shoemart has the chromexcel version, but I'm looking for the regular calf leather.

The Alden Shop in San Francisco just received them. Tried some on Friday.

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
The Alden Shop in San Francisco just received them. Tried some on Friday.
Did you happen to see what the price was?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't recall the price, but it was good. They were keeping them at or near the old 405 price for now, but they will soon increase.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of the brown chrome excel indy boots. I really wanted the NY Alden black version but not sure I will be able to scroe them.
This would be my first pair of brown boots as I mostly tend to wear black footwear. What colors could you wear with these boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads