• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please evaluate my first MTM shirt.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
I got my first MTM shirt. I no longer feel like a styleforum virgin!!! I ordered it from moderntailor.com on the 6th and it arrived today the 15th. I only ordered one shirt in the cheapest white fabric to get the sizing right if there were any problems. I entered the measurements from a shirt that fits me really well and altered the measurements to what I thought would be a better fit. I have to say that moderntailor did a A+ job following my measurements.
I had them put two darts in the back and I told them my waist size was 2" smaller than it really is but the back is still a bit poofy for my tastes. The front of the shirt feels fine and I may take out another inch in the chest on my next order to alleviate the poof in the back. Overall I am extremely happy with my first MTM experience and will do it again.
I am really happy about the neck as I need a 15 3/4" to be comfortable. They nailed it spot on. Not too tight and not too loose.

It will shrink up a bit but I think I still have plenty of room for that. Please critique the fit and and let me know what if anything I need to change on my next order which will be with better fabric and more than one shirt.
I also spoiled myself with a silk/cashmere tie since I was so happy that the fit on my first MTM shirt turned out so well.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks very good. Don't go overboard on tightness. Darts are unusual for shirts used in business setting.

It is normal to have some extra fabric in the back, unless your trying to make it look like a "going out" shirt.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks quite good. I haven't washed my first moderntailor.com shirt yet. I got the sleeve and shoulder measurement way off, so I've been lazy to wash it. Regardless, I've heard they shrink a good amount. It looks like you may have left enough room though.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not bad fit. I would have not added the pocket but not bad at all for the first fit.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
Did you tell them anything about high cut armholes or tighter sleeves? I like the way that looks.

I think it looks great. Can I ask what the price is on the really cheap fabric?

I used the measurements off of an Express slim fit shirt that I have and adjusted accordingly to what alterations I would like to have in an MTM shirt. They followed my measurements that I gave them exactly. If you follow the steps on the website and can read a measuring tape I don't see how you can mess it up especially if you have a shirt that fits you ok already you can simply add or deduct accordingly to get the fit just right.

This shirt was the cheapest fabric available in white: P90 in white and it was $51 shipped. I wouldn't recommend spending more on a trial run shirt just in case you can't read a measuring tape.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Not bad fit. I would have not added the pocket but not bad at all for the first fit.

+ 1. Pretty good. Looks like you know how much you want to slim it up. Just don't go overboard. There is a difference wearing the shirt in a work setting v. standing like a robot in front of a camera where the tendency is to have a shirt without any wrinkles or extra fabric that is necessary in real life.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
post a pic after it shrinks.

I had some whites to wash so I threw this shirt in and then ran an iron over it. The body did shrink some as well as the sleeves but I can still cross my arms without the back pulling excessively tight. The neck didn't shrink though. Looks like I will be sending moderntailor some business just as soon as I make some fabric decisions.

CIMG2206.jpg

CIMG2207.jpg

CIMG2208.jpg

CIMG2210.jpg

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good fit.
What is that thing over your left nipple?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
It looks very good. Don't go overboard on tightness. Darts are unusual for shirts used in business setting. It is normal to have some extra fabric in the back, unless your trying to make it look like a "going out" shirt.
No. Darts are fine in a shirt in order to ensure that it fits properly (if they are required). You don't want a bunch of fabric bunching in the rear, unless you have an actual parachute attached and you just landed. Please, don't read what the newbie posts, he knows not of what he writes.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Good fit.
What is that thing over your left nipple?

It is an antiquated item in the spirit of a ticket pocket on suit jackets.

I have dress shirts with and without pockets. I live in the southern US where it tends to get crazy hot during the summer and in my law office almost no one wears their suit jackets unless we are going to court. I find it handy to have somewhere to keep my pen while running around the office. I have torn multiple pant pockets by sitting down with a pen in my pocket.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like any other white shirt. I have a cheap white shirt from the GAP that has a better fit than that.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
It looks like any other white shirt. I have a cheap white shirt from the GAP that has a better fit than that.

congrats, your body type is well suited to shitzy clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads