• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many ties do you own?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Around 50. Trying to focus on top quality these days and textured fabrics other than silk like cashmere, wool and linen. Most recent purchases have also been on the simpler side of the design spectrum.

This is me too. Exactly. I am generally a conservative person; given that I am also a clothes horse I plan to keep adding to my tie collection when I find good deals on classic, quality ties. Ties are a very cost effective way to keep your wardrobe fresh and I don't think I would consider myself to have too many until I aquired well over 100.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Right at about 40 ties. I too have started focusing more on ties that are made of something other than silk. I had a huge regiment stripe fixation for awhile, but I've managed to successfully branch out, lol. I have a few wool ties now. Next I want a glen plaid or solid cashmere.

sw20

Reaction score
~10 Charvets left; recently threw away ~20 older Hermes micrographic ties

Haven't worn a tie in ?5+ yrs; don't know many <40yo who wear a tie, despite most of same crowd being daily tie-wearing young I-bankers/traders in Manhattan in late '90s

Ties are such obvious NYC IBer/salesguy/lawyer uniform today, as hedgies in either NYC or CA don't really wear them

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
Haven't worn a tie in ?5+ yrs; don't know many <40yo who wear a tie, despite most of same crowd being daily tie-wearing young I-bankers/traders in Manhattan in late '90s

Ties are such obvious NYC IBer/salesguy/lawyer uniform today, as hedgies in either NYC or CA don't really wear them

I dont get this. I am a graduate student, and I wear tie every single day.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have over 250 at last count

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
~10 Charvets left; recently threw away ~20 older Hermes micrographic ties

Haven't worn a tie in ?5+ yrs;

When you get around to throwing away the Charvets, let me know. I'll be happy to help you get rid of them.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not counting bowties and ascots, somewhere around 106, I think.

A cutoff point of 51+ seems awfully low for a forum of serious sartorialists.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have so many that I almost literally couldn't store another one.

+1. I need to buy something to hold them all.

bluemax

Reaction score
Only 2 ties. One black and one gray. I just don't really know what makes a good looking tie. Every time I try to go buy some, I end up thinking, "is this cool or is this tacky?" I second-guess myself so much that I end up going home empty-handed every time, which has been 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months. I don't have this problem with any other part of my wardrobe...
facepalm.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I don't let myself have more than 40. When I start to accumulate too many, I quickly have a B&S fire sale so I can buy more.
devil.gif

600px-Ouroboros-simple.svg.png

gravenimages

Reaction score
The only problem here is that the closet isn't big enough to contain all of the necktie awesome.

4201808153_0d95dba698_o.jpg

This is only 1/2 of "The Collection"

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gravenimages
The only problem here is that the closet isn't big enough to contain all of the necktie awesome.

4201808153_0d95dba698_o.jpg

With a tie collection that large I could imagine refusing to wear a tie altogether.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gravenimages

Nice blog

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads