• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accountants: Do you like your job?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I'm coming after you
wink.gif

enjoiii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Try and get into other national/international firms like Grant Thornton or BDO. Big names make a huge difference when you're getting started. Even if you can't get into a big4 firm right away, if you work for someone like Grant Thornton for a year or two, it's very easy to switch over. When people in HR see that on your resume, even if they cold shouldered you the first time, they will give you a shot. A big name will always buy you instant credibility in this business, what school you went to and your GPA will be irrelevant. The story of my life. I sit in my cubicle all day surrounded by papers and mildly starved for human interaction. If I get to go to a client lunch, I'm happy about it for days. There is one guy with a corner office within earshot who's an accountant by training but is in direct sales. It seems he is always going golfing with a client, taking them to a game in the corporate skybox, having lunch with clients, or picking out corporate gifts. If I were a salesperson by nature, I'd want his job. ---------- It occurred to me while at a clients a few days ago, accountants never seem to make the big bucks, they always seem to work for the guy who makes the big bucks. I wonder if there's something about being too stable a career that makes us afraid to go out there and take the big gambles which can pay off in spades and change lives. My only real solace at this point in time is that when I see clients, their controllers seem to have a more relaxed lifestyle with a better paycheck and get to take it a little easier at work. But even then... it's just the usual grind for the next 40 years of life.
confused.gif
EDIT: I think this thread might be my silent cry for help

Damn you're a bitter and depressing person, I feel bad for you. You ***** and moan about controllers and their more relaxed lifestyle and taking it easier at work. Generally speaking the guy's that make the big bucks aren't the ones concerned about "taking it easier at work" they are the one's busting their ass. Your never gonna get what you want if you hope to "take it easy at work" and make the big bucks, most often they are mutually exclusive.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, after forwarding my resume to someone in my network I've been contacted and told that I will be receiving a call from a PWC recruiter this week. I am looking for an internship/externship position.

Does anyone have any advice or insight they could give me to assure that things go smoothly?

Thanks in advance
john

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Bit of a bump, but I feel I have something to contribute to this thread.

I graduated with my accounting degree having done a tax season internship my junior with a Sole practitioner CPA near Atlanta. I, like everyone else, wanted to go big 4, but several factors steered me away. Two big ones:

-My friends were interning with much larger firms than my own and were absolutely miserable, even with the courting and pleasantries that a lot of these firms heaped on them. Not knocking the big firms, but these people didn't really learn much. My friend working for a big local in atlanta spent his entire internship auditing accounts receivable and cash accounts for a client. He was ready to switch majors by the end of it. I, on the other hand, worked that same semester with aforementioned sole practitioner. I kept the books on the regular for several clients, did almost every type of tax return, got a little client interaction, and I had an office with a desk and everything. I felt like I learned a ton in 4 months.

-Additionally, my Dad was also a CPA who moved into industry around age 30. He worked for PriceWaterhouse (before it was PwC) for a couple years out of college before moving on to a smaller firm, and finally buying his own practice at age 26-27ish (had worked there awhile). He sold it 5 or so years later after being offer an executive level position at a big national paper company. He STRONGLY advised me against going for a big firm if I really wanted to be an accountant. He personally licked envelopes and did very basic accounting work for a year and 1/2 (and he had stellar grades) before moving to a firm with about 15 partners, where he was much happier.

So, I took this advice and I now work for a 3 person firm (One CPA, one other staff guy my age, and me.). I initially worked as a property accountant for a capital fund for about 3 months after graduating but it was a startup and it went belly up quite quickly (Owner was much much too leveraged etc etc). I didn't want to start in private but it seemed dumb to turn down the job, and it all looked very promising. In any case I learned a ton in those three months (no prior accounting system for these properties, had a very experienced CPA as our CFO and boss, so it was intense...I had to learn fast). I got a great reference from my boss there and it got me a job in public, where I felt I really belonged.

My job now is not exactly ridiculously exciting day to day, but I really like it a lot. The environment is very cool and I feel like I'm setting myself up for a great future, whether I stick with my current place or move on to bigger things (which you can do quite easily). The chance to help small business owners figure out their finances and make money just makes me feel like I'm doing what accountants are meant to do.

You have to remember that, as a CPA, you essentially speak a language that few members of the public do, so you're invaluable to a business owner as you speak that language as well as theirs. You can put that to much better use and probably be much happier in your job at a smaller firm ultimately.

If I were a business owner hiring an accountant, I'd rather see "Johnathan Doe & Associates CPAs" than PwC on a resume. It tells me this guy got his hands dirty and really put to use what he's learned. He's probably dealt with clients and if he's dressed well, then he's probably a slam dunk right off the bat.

CLIFF NOTES: Big4 firms are great and they look good on your resume, but I think one can become a better accountant in a more individualized environment, and that will always be better for your career.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been studying for the FAR portion of the CPA and just wanted to say that leases and bonds unit has been kicking ****** allllll week
frown.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein

If I were a business owner hiring an accountant, I'd rather see "Johnathan Doe & Associates CPAs" than PwC on a resume. It tells me this guy got his hands dirty and really put to use what he's learned. He's probably dealt with clients and if he's dressed well, then he's probably a slam dunk right off the bat.

CLIFF NOTES: Big4 firms are great and they look good on your resume, but I think one can become a better accountant in a more individualized environment, and that will always be better for your career.

You're kind of contradicting yourself, dude. In any case, if you're looking for employment with a company that has more than a handful of employees, Big4 might be a safer bet.

Don't get me wrong, responsibility and small business experience can be valuable, but it gets complicated.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
You're kind of contradicting yourself, dude. In any case, if you're looking for employment with a company that has more than a handful of employees, Big4 might be a safer bet.

Don't get me wrong, responsibility and small business experience can be valuable, but it gets complicated.

How is he contradicting himself?

He said

1) In general Big4 looks better on his resume
2) If he were hiring, he would pick the guy who got his hands dirty at a smaller firm

You are assuming that the Big4 looks better to him, which is false. It does look better on resume to non-accountants and some accountants (depending on your experience).

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
How is he contradicting himself?

He said

1) In general Big4 looks better on his resume
2) If he were hiring, he would pick the guy who got his hands dirty at a smaller firm

You are assuming that the Big4 looks better to him, which is false. It does look better on resume to non-accountants and some accountants (depending on your experience).

Right, thats what I'm saying.

The good news in general is that you have almost unlimited options when you have an accounting background. If you're smart about it, you can go from small firm to big firm and back again all day long. Its all in how you present yourself. The beauty of accounting is that the rules are the same pretty much everywhere in the U.S. One firm's methods will not differ dramatically (aside from office culture, the way certain things are handled etc) from another's.

Good luck, in any case, to all the up and coming kids like myself in this thread.
smile.gif

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I transferred to GSU for Fall 2010 to complete my undergrad accounting degree. Have anyone here graduated from this school?

imschatz

Reaction score
Never quite understood accountants. Always thought it was a dying industry.

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Never quite understood accountants. Always thought it was a dying industry.

You are substantially correct, the position of "accountant" is generally de-skilled clerk position, when people in this thread refer to accountants they mean CPAs.

Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Been studying for the FAR portion of the CPA and just wanted to say that leases and bonds unit has been kicking ****** allllll week
frown.gif

n00b, leases and bonds are or chumps, pensions were popular on the simulations last year.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been working in Transaction Services in big 4 for the summer and so far I love it. I'm working with very bright people doing very engaging work. Much more exciting and better paid than audit.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you having a great time. =D Keep us update

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I have been working in Transaction Services in big 4 for the summer and so far I love it. I'm working with very bright people doing very engaging work. Much more exciting and better paid than audit.

good to know you've made it, dude
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads