• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan may be replaced by Leno

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
And hell, Conan isn't even that in touch with the younger audiences anymore, as we see in this thread. Jimmy freaking Fallon is preferred by the younger set.

I preferred "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," but I prefer "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" over "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien."

I think Conan's monologue is usually funnier than Jimmy's, but I think Jimmy's bits are funnier and more entertaining than Conan's. I also think that Conan is a dick to his guests a lot of the time, which I don't find particularly amusing.

touchthesky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I honestly CANNOT believe anyone gives a **** about this. Ive never seen people genuinely pissed off about something so irrelevant. Hell, I havent watched late night TV in in probably 10 years.

Who exactly is their target demographic anyways? Everyone I know with real jobs is in bed by 11 on weeknights.

This is probably why you don't give a ****.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dug up an old article about the Carson-Leno-Letterman controversy when Leno succeeded Carson, and found it quite interesting in context to what's happening now. Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/30/ma...l?pagewanted=1
Still, Leno recognized that The Post story was likely to upset Carson. As usual, he tried to do the right thing -- he called Johnny. "Listen, Johnny, about that New York Post story, [fake news story leaked by NBC management to the press that Leno was soon to take over for a dissatisfied Carson]" Leno said. "I'm sorry it came out. I know you think it came from us, but I don't know where it came from." "It came from you," Johnny said evenly. "No, let me guarantee you," Jay said. "I checked with my manager about it, and she said under no circumstances did this come from us. I feel terrible about this because I know your people think it did." Johnny didn't prolong the conversation. He just told Leno that in show business you sometimes had to be very wary of situations where other people speak for you.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by touchthesky
This is probably why you don't give a ****.

Yea, and my second point was asking who actually watches it?

Cause every male I know with real careers in the 25-50 wheelhouse advertisers really care about dont give a flying **** about late night tv... but apparently everyone has an opnion about who is better

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I honestly CANNOT believe anyone gives a **** about this. Ive never seen people genuinely pissed off about something so irrelevant. Hell, I havent watched late night TV in in probably 10 years.

Who exactly is their target demographic anyways? Everyone I know with real jobs is in bed by 11 on weeknights.

I have a real job, and I'm in bed by 10 PM, but I really give a ****. Humor is strangely something I've come to take very seriously. I can acknowledge how difficult it is to be funny and how important it is to me to have jokes to laugh at. It's a coping mechanism, maybe, but a humorless life is not worth living.

Honestly, I owe a fair part of my sense of humor to Conan. His work on SNL and Simpsons played a large role in shaping my sense of humor, and then during college, I would stay up late and watch him every night. I don't know this man personally, and I don't watch him anymore because I have a job/family, but I feel about him how many older people might feel about Dylan or Kerouac. I don't mean that I do standup or write shows because of him, but just the everyday stuff of finding **** to laugh at and how you joke with your friends. I feel emotionally invested in his work.

So yeah, **** NBC and **** Leno.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
So yeah, **** NBC and **** Leno.

Pretty much.

On that note, did anybody see Jimmy Kimmel light Leno up in his 10 @ 10 segment when Leno had him on? Leno was gritting his teeth and trying to desperately get through the questions, and Kimmel was digging at him every chance he got. I don't really like Jimmy Kimmel, but he's been unbelievable this past week with the Leno impersonation, coverage, etc.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
I really don't know what to make of that segment. Leno was clearly setting up Kimmel for easy controversy jokes, but perhaps Kimmel was taking it a bit farther than was previously discussed.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
Here's the vid of Kimmel destroying Leno on his own show if Chrono's embed isn't working:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pages 8 and 10, all of these have been posted.

You guys have to click the links and watch the vids, so much good stuff especially from Howard Stern, Rosie, etc.

el grande tempo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I feel about him how many older people might feel about Dylan or Kerouac.
Are you insinuating that Conan might be done in by a can of bad tuna?

- E

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the dust settles, I will watch whatever NBC puts on. I can't stand Letterman, and I normally don't change the channel after the Tonight Show, even though the few times I've seen Craig Ferguson, he's been pretty funny.

But more specifically, at the end of the day, I don't really give a ****. All these guys will probably be richer for the rest of their lives than any of us will ever get close to being no matter what happens with this situation.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I preferred "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," but I prefer "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" over "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien."

I think Conan's monologue is usually funnier than Jimmy's, but I think Jimmy's bits are funnier and more entertaining than Conan's. I also think that Conan is a dick to his guests a lot of the time, which I don't find particularly amusing.

Jimmy's monologue is much much shorter because his delivery sucks, and yet after months to get settled in, he still seems awkward with his movements during his monologes. While Conan may have some lame bits, I think Jimmy's are pretty bad and more frequent - what's that one with the piece of carpet? Stupid. Same thing with throwing hot dogs into a hole. I mean is that to entertain the morons that make up his audience? I only watch every so often because he has the Roots on.

I don't think Conan is any better or worse than Leno. Conan is a likeable guy, although his self-depracation can be a bit tiring, but overall, I enjoy the show and don't miss Leno one bit at 11:35.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Jimmy's monologue is much much shorter because his delivery sucks, and yet after months to get settled in, he still seems awkward with his movements during his monologes. While Conan may have some lame bits, I think Jimmy's are pretty bad and more frequent - what's that one with the piece of carpet? Stupid. Same thing with throwing hot dogs into a hole. I mean is that to entertain the morons that make up his audience? I only watch every so often because he has the Roots on.

I don't think Conan is any better or worse than Leno. Conan is a likeable guy, although his self-depracation can be a bit tiring, but overall, I enjoy the show and don't miss Leno one bit at 11:35.

Yeah, Jimmy Fallon does have some lame bits, but he also has some very funny ones. I like the bit he does where he writes out the thank you cards. I also like when he does "Freestylin' with the Roots." I also like that he does a second bit involving one of the guests, which is usually pretty funny/entertaining.

With Conan, some of his bits are getting tiring too. "In the Year 2000" used to be very funny, but ever since they changed it to "in the year 3000" it's kind of stupid. Also stuff like "twitter tracker" is pretty stupid. I also don't like his interviewing style (as I've stated before). In any case, I change the channel most of the time when the interviews start because I really don't give a **** what most of these assholes who get interviewed have to say about anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads