• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan may be replaced by Leno

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was always sympathetic to Leno, but I don't really watch him, all I'm going by here is that movie about him and Letterman fighting over Carson's spot. Great flick BTW.

Sure I'd like to see Conan "win" because he seems like the cooler guy, but I don't really watch those shows. I watch those late night shows maybe once every 2 or 3 years and it's been Letterman.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I, too, didn't like/dislike Leno and only watched his shows if I happened to be in a place where they were on.

That being said, I'll probably go out of my way NOT to watch him now.

NBC is really stupid; the whole reason that they gave the primetime show to Jay is because it's cheaper than funding a good drama or something creative. A talk show format is REALLY cheap and easy for them to do. I'm GLAD that his primetime show failed, and it sucks that he gets to go back where he was. I've always found Conan to be funny, though I admit that since I gave away my TV a year or so ago, I've not seen anything much he's done except for online clips.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same here. I always had an impression though based off that movie of Leno being a really nice guy just caught between a bunch of greedy execs. Apparently that's not the case heh.

I can't say I'm going to make it a point to not watch Leno, since I never ever watched him in the first place.

If I'm going to gawk at a chin before I fall asleep, it's going to be Bruce Campbell's damn it!

Besides, I can't understand how someone under 60 would want to watch CBS/NBC/ABC at all anyway.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Besides, I can't understand how someone under 60 would want to watch CBS/NBC/ABC at all anyway.

Can't afford HBO/Showtime.
frown.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Can't afford HBO/Showtime.
frown.gif

Neither can I. Netflix baby
smile.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Time sure does fly, though. It's crazy to think about this. Do you realize that a baby born on the day we did our first Tonight Show is now a slightly larger baby?"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have watched a couple of episodes of Conan and he is really skewering NBC and being quite funny as well. I think he really got shafted.

I used to watch Conan years ago at 12:30, I also thought his self-depricating humor was funny. I watched last night and thought Conan was gold. Granted, I never watched Steve Allen or Carson in their heyday. But, frankly Conan killed and NBC royally fucked up.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll preface this whole thing by saying that I am as big a Coney fan as anyone, but...

I'm not sure that Leno is really some kind of devil in all this. He did sign that contract five years ago to step aside, but was that something he really wanted to do, or was it something NBC asked him to do? I don't know that you can blame a guy for accepting a (damned lucrative) position that is being offered to him, particularly one that he occupied for a long time with incredible success.

I personally prefer Conan to Leno, and yes, Leno is at times really awful, but he seems likeable enough. I'll watch either over Letterman, whom I personally can't stand. But the bottom line is that Leno does have more widespread appeal. A lot of people, particularly older people, don't get Conan at all. My father, who is relatively but not entirely out of touch, wouldn't watch 30 seconds of Conan with a gun to his head. He thinks Leno is funny. Leno is mass-market. Conan is not.

And hell, Conan isn't even that in touch with the younger audiences anymore, as we see in this thread. Jimmy freaking Fallon is preferred by the younger set.

And Conan never was a good fit for the Tonight Show. His best stuff is too edgy and random for the meat-and-potatoes crowd.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure if it's Jay's fault that Conan started losing ground (are there ratings for Conan from the period before Jay's show kicked in at 10pm?) but I think it's odd to place the blame entirely at Jay's feet and make him the bad guy.

Hell, I'm even tempted not to call NBC stupid in all of this. What's likely to happen now is that Conan goes to Fox and lands a spot at 11:35. Then there will be FOUR guys competing for the same audience. Well, had NBC not strung Conan along for the past few years, they'd have been dealing with Conan as a competitor long ago.

It screws Conan over, and plenty of sympathy is due to him. But I think Jay's evilness and NBC's stupidity here are vastly overblown.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but not nbc's stupidity. zucker is an awful executive.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
That being said, I'll probably go out of my way NOT to watch him now.
I think there are probably a whole bunch of people who are going to refuse to watch Jay on principle now. Losing Conan, lower ratings for Jay, no 10:00 PM dramas, sucky lead-ins... it just keeps going from bad to worse. Conan might have done himself in with that public statement, and Zucker might be acting more from spite than rationality.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
It screws Conan over, and plenty of sympathy is due to him. But I think Jay's evilness and NBC's stupidity here are vastly overblown.

NBC's stupidity can never be overblown. They ran a #1 network into the ground.

As for Jay being evil. He's not evil. He's just a slimy douche bag. Exhibit #1,245,421 was displayed just a couple days ago. Immediately after Conan wrote his "I'm not moving to midnight" open letter, Jay felt compelled to issue a similar comment basically stating how upset he was with NBC and the way they handled the situation, and he might leave NBC, too. What does he do the next day? Sign a contract to host the Tonight Show again.

At every turn, Jay Leno is just so fake, it's sickening.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
And hell, Conan isn't even that in touch with the younger audiences anymore, as we see in this thread. Jimmy freaking Fallon is preferred by the younger set.

You made a bunch of great points, but I disagree with this. The Internet fervor for "Team Coco" is incredible evidence that Conan still connects with younger audiences.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that it's more than just Jay or Conan that's affected here: their entire production teams may be laid off as well. That's probably worse for Conan since many of his staff moved to LA from NYC.

--Andre

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Don't forget that it's more than just Jay or Conan that's affected here: their entire production teams may be laid off as well. That's probably worse for Conan since many of his staff moved to LA from NYC.

--Andre

Conan seems like the type of principled guy that would do everything he could to take his staff with him should he hcange networks.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly CANNOT believe anyone gives a **** about this. Ive never seen people genuinely pissed off about something so irrelevant. Hell, I havent watched late night TV in in probably 10 years.

Who exactly is their target demographic anyways? Everyone I know with real jobs is in bed by 11 on weeknights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads