• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew these pics looked familiar...those were from when I was selling them almost a year ago.
I still prefer the tan over the otter. I sold that 258 to get the 257 in tan.

Originally Posted by mulder
I don't remember where I grabbed these pictures, otherwise I would give them proper credit. It might have been here or from a random Google search. I have them marked as a Filson 258 and the color appears to be Otter Green.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03624.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03625.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03626.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03627.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03628.jpg

Dob

Reaction score
You might also consider the new brown color. I have the 258 in brown and really like it. It fades very nicely and gets more of a patina (IMO) faster than the tan but still hides dirt really well. I continually get compliments on it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my 257 from Crane's.

Awesome seller and great bag. Looks and feels tough.

It's gonna be my go to beater bag, as it is originally intended.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alladin
what is the general consensus of the Filson otter green canvas? Does anybody own a bag in that colour? Thanks.
I don't own the green (I have the 258 in tan) but it's a nice color. Frankly though out of the three colors, it would be third on my list. I love the way the tan ages and the contrast with the dark brown leather straps.

The brown, from what I've seen in pictures posted, really looks great. In addition, people who have the brown keep raving about it. If I was going to get a Filson that I would check in when flying, I would take the brown route.

The green ones I've seen that are older look a little too green (lighter green) when they age. Again, totally just one man's humble opinion and I'm sure there are green devotees out there who would differ. That's the beauty of having different color options I guess.

B_L

Reaction score
It sounds like Crane's Country Store is a great sell. I look forward to ordering my 257 bag from them!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally picked up my first Filson bag, a 258 in Tan. You guys weren't kidding about these things being built to last. I also really like the tan color, darker than I imagined which I consider a good thing as I was worried it might be too light.

I do think this bag is probably overkill for me size-wise so I think I'm going to try and trade it on B+S somehow for a 257 or even 256 in tan which should be just about right sized. Is the only size difference between the 257 and 258 the outside zip pocket on the 258 or is the main body different width as well?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I just bought the medium travel bag and the medium duffle bag, both in tan. I like them. Lots. The medium duffle is enormous. It holds so much more than expected. You could probably fit a Mazda coupe in the Extra Large variety.

Aspiringtobe

Reaction score
I just bought the 256 in tan for a daily use to and from work bag. I am a lawyer who carries documents frequently. Love it.

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
Got this a month ago from Crane's. The Filson large duffle bag. Wanted it in otter green first, but tan instead and I'm not disappointed.

07012010351.jpg

07012010352.jpg

alladin

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the medium field bag (232) and the small carry on bag (240) apart from the slight variation in dimensions?

torontolaker

Reaction score
just received my tan 222 from Crane's and I'm very happy with the bag and Crane's service. Highly recommended to all the other SF members.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alladin
Is there a difference in the medium field bag (232) and the small carry on bag (240) apart from the slight variation in dimensions?

Yes, there are some important differences:

240: zipper top (with lock), larger

232: open top, small pockets on the sides, double layer bottom, available in brown

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone with tips on how to punch a nice clean hole in the shoulder strap? my 258 is wayyyy too long. im 5'11 but the thing drops low and slaps me arse as i walk

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
anyone with tips on how to punch a nice clean hole in the shoulder strap? my 258 is wayyyy too long. im 5'11 but the thing drops low and slaps me arse as i walk

A leather craft store should have a punch or someone who is willing to punch it for you. For the more adventurous: you can googles "Renaissance Fair" and find tons of weirdos to do it for exchange of mead, money or have group sex with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads