• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking update!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Shun Chinese cleaver, too. I hope you're right-handed.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got my order from Penzey's Spices and I highly recommend them. I can't wait to make custard with their double strength vanilla extract and the extra fancy vietnamese cinnamon is fantastic. Fleur de sel really is worth the extra, although obviously not for general cooking.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ, I have had a Shun Santoku for the last year and absolutely love it. I also just bought one of the Shun Pro single beveled edge 6.5" Deba knives. It should come early next week and I am super stoked. It is beautiful and apparantly even sharper than the regular Shun knives.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
GQ, I have had a Shun Santoku for the last year and absolutely love it. I also just bought one of the Shun Pro single beveled edge 6.5" Deba knives. It should come early next week and I am super stoked. It is beautiful and apparantly even sharper than the regular Shun knives.

Cool. I'm definitely happy with my Shun so far. I can't imagine how much sharper they could be. They're pretty damned sharp ;p

How often have you had to sharpen them? I know you're suppoesd to use the steel after every use, but that just removes burrs from the edge, so how often is a real sharpening required?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my All-Clad from www.cookewarenmore.com and I couldnt' be happier. They are factory seconds but are in VERY good condition. My saute pan for instance has a 3/8" scratch on the lid and I can't even tell what's wrong with my saucier and stock pot. The frying pan I ordered was in stock but they sent me an email that the ones they had were badly scratched, so they didn't ship them with my initial order as they advertise their merchandise as only having small cosmetic defects (never on the interior of the pans). My 2qt saucier is b/o but I asked to replace it with a sauce pan instead. I highly recommend them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I just got my order from Penzey's Spices and I highly recommend them. I can't wait to make custard with their double strength vanilla extract and the extra fancy vietnamese cinnamon is fantastic. Fleur de sel really is worth the extra, although obviously not for general cooking.

ok, here is a little tip for when they call you in for basic training. when you are asked to tell your platoon a little about yourself, do not use the above sentance as an introduction.
laugh.gif

sounds great - I use Penzey's too, btw

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, here is a little tip for when they call you in for basic training. when you are asked to tell your platoon a little about yourself, do not use the above sentance as an introduction.
laugh.gif

Use this one instead:

Originally Posted by John Winger
Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's always something unusual... but now I know, why I've always lost women...to guys like you. It's not just the uniforms - oh no - It's the stories that you tell! Such fun and imagination! (Addressing man in platoon) Lee Harvey, you are a madman! Remember when you and your friends stole your neighbor's cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow? I want to party with you, cowboy. You and me, heh, forget about it!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
laugh.gif

sounds great - I use Penzey's too, btw

No, I was going to start with an intro about my bespoke clothing habit, the merits of buying HQ shoes with good leather for developing patina, and how much I enjoy salsa dancing!

blackgrass

Reaction score

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Cool. I'm definitely happy with my Shun so far. I can't imagine how much sharper they could be. They're pretty damned sharp ;p

How often have you had to sharpen them? I know you're suppoesd to use the steel after every use, but that just removes burrs from the edge, so how often is a real sharpening required?

I sharpen my knifes on a wetstone every few months.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd recommend sharpening your knives when they begin to get dull. I don't mean to be flippant -- the need for sharpening will depend on frequency of use, what you cut with them, and how well you take care of them. Just don't let it get to the point that you're sawing rather than cutting.

Every time you sharpen, your knife blade gets a little smaller.... So it's good to avoid unnecessary sharpening.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Consider that most professional kitchens get their knives sharpened on a weekly basis, then consider how much you use your knives compared to the pros. Try whole vanilla beans instead of extract. Now that is truly a world of difference.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Consider that most professional kitchens get their knives sharpened on a weekly basis, then consider how much you use your knives compared to the pros. Try whole vanilla beans instead of extract. Now that is truly a world of difference.
??? Not when I worked in a professional kitchen. You just need to be able to keep a good edge on a knife. Sharpening once a month or so is good enough for a professional cook.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know where to get kosher salt in Montreal?
All they sell in the supermarket are these horrible chemical like boxes of salt.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there's a spice shop at atwater market, but I just ordered it from penzey's along with everything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics