• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone explain red socks to me?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Red, purple, blue(s), teal, pink, orange. Why would one not have a selection of socks as you do a selection of ties. I normally get comments on my socks. Some people rave on how "brave" I am while others think I am out of touch with reality(this said by a lady who thinks 4 buttoned suits are cutting edge) but socks are a great way of adding a little flash just like a good tie.
That's our fine city for you, where Huge Boss and D&G reign supreme.
inlove.gif

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Financekid
Good evening

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the phenomenon of red socks. I read something about them in Hackett's Mr. Classic where it was references as a british thing, but I can't remember what else he said.

They also appear in the movie Constantine worn by a character meant to have the look and feel of a young english gentleman, who speaks with an english accent and wears suits that are, or are meant to appear to be, saville row tailored. This would support the theory that it is an english thing, rather rather than the costume designer feeling mischevious.

I hope some of you can help me with this, as the search function proved futile, as did Google.

redsocks1.jpg

redsocks2.jpg

redsocks3.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, man - I have a tie just like that and I'll try my red cashmere socks with it.

peezie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
To cut through all of this pseudo-fashionista bullshit, the prevalence
of red socks, especially in the United Kingdom is more than likely genetic.
It is well known that colorblindness is more common among males
in northern and western Europe, particularly the British Isles and Normandy
and Brittany in France. According to the latest research, the halpotype
that is theorized to carry this trait converts the color red to gray or black
in the vision of the carrier. In these cultures male dress, in the dominant
classes, is very understated, even dull. On the basis of this analysis, the
choice of red socks, for that portion of the male population in these classes
who are colorblind, is merely an act of conformity with the paradigm of
understated dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

I like how somone calls something bullshit, then quotes Wikipedia.
plain.gif

Reaction score
The (mainly) English affectation of wearing bright red socks with a suit ( city workers; news readers etc.), may be signalling something like 'even though I have to wear this highly conformist/sober uniform for my work, I'm actually a very exciting and racy person underneath the surface & am not boring at all - as indicated by my red socks.'

This tends to raise far fewer eyebrows than the wearing of white socks with a suit in the UK ( where this indicates either an avid Blues Brothers fan or 'care in the community').

Smudge

Reaction score
To understand the Englishman's "thing" for red socks you need to thank Adrian Mole, a 13 3/4 year old boy who once lived in Leicester, England. He kept a diary if you are interested... but its a bit "hush-hush" though.

Smartalox

Reaction score
I heard it was for signalling a particular flavor of gayness, when flashed under the partition stall of public restrooms.

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
I heard it was for signalling a particular flavor of gayness, when flashed under the partition stall of public restrooms.

Sounds very logical. I'll buy that.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
MidwesternUS MountebankUS Plumage
2821531791_a344c6ef8f.jpg

PipPip

Reaction score
A French colleague of mine occasionally wears long raspberry coloured socks that he claims are very special as they can only be purchased in the Vatican. I have no idea what he is talking about.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipPip
A French colleague of mine occasionally wears long raspberry coloured socks that he claims are very special as they can only be purchased in the Vatican. I have no idea what he is talking about.

Our former PM and once a presidential candidate, M. Édouard Balladur, was much ridiculed at one time because he wears the kind of socks worn by cardinals (Gamarelli?) importing them from the Vatican. He also goes to Poole for his suits. He is probably the best-dressed of our politicians, although that does not mean much.

Frog in Suit

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
black and blue socks are just plain dull. love colourful socks.

Got any hot pink in your collection?

Gutman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Champagnelifestylenomoney
The (mainly) English affectation of wearing bright red socks with a suit ( city workers; news readers etc.), may be signalling something like 'even though I have to wear this highly conformist/sober uniform for my work, I'm actually a very exciting and racy person underneath the surface & am not boring at all - as indicated by my red socks.'

Exactly, apologies if links to the "red sock fop" spat have been posted before:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...politicalbooks

I wore red socks as a post-school uniform reaction, along with matching red-tie... That was when red-rimmed glasses frames were "out there and cool" (ie, the 80s). Remember those? Still, red socks can look very nice with a light brown brogue or similar, but it's too try-hard with a suit imo

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
Exactly, apologies if links to the "red sock fop" spat have been posted before:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...politicalbooks

I wore red socks as a post-school uniform reaction, along with matching red-tie... That was when red-rimmed glasses frames were "out there and cool" (ie, the 80s). Remember those? Still, red socks can look very nice with a light brown brogue or similar, but it's too try-hard with a suit imo

I didn't know Rodney Trotter was writing for the Guardian.

MichaelKlos

Reaction score
I started wearing Red socks for special occasions many years ago. Shortly after my daughter was born I realized the every day was special, therefore I only wear red socks.

Many friends around the world have come to wear Red socks for their special occasions. And so it spread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads