• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is Huntsmanesque.

Oh, come on...there's a bit of drape! And it is made up A&S-ish...just more carefully
devil.gif

BTW, the jacket Hitchcock was fitting on you looked really swell across the shoulders.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like it a lot, Bill. I bet you could go slightly shorter if you wanted, but it looks fantastic as is.

Thank you, young man.

As for shorter, watcha want? Thom Browne?

652424013_RqmXN-X2.jpg

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The bias cut shoulder seam is a 19th century tailoring fashion:

BiasVictorian001.jpg

It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that by moving the shoulder seam so it is aligned with the shoulder line, that it would affect the fit and balance of a coat. It may improve certain things.

Here is a recent example from A&S that utterly refutes the notion that a bias cut shoulder will result in a better fitting collar:

suit1jacketback1.jpg

sorry but i cant see a bias cut shoulder in this photo. it looks like an average shoulder on a man with extreme sloping shoulders. that mess of garbage may be hiding something i cant see.
any way that collar looks as though its a excessive long break line [folding line] that is buckling. on a man that is stooping his head forward.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
sorry but i cant see a bias cut shoulder in this photo. it looks like an average shoulder on a man with extreme sloping shoulders. that mess of garbage may be hiding something i cant see.
any way that collar looks as though its a excessive long break line [folding line] that is buckling. on a man that is stooping his head forward.

Are these things bad?

confused.gif

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice Bill! I think DBs work especially well for you.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are these things bad?

confused.gif

- B

depends on our point of view.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
depends on our point of view.

Are you making short jokes? Because if you are, you are impinging on my charter.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
suit1jacketback1.jpg

Looks good to me. Like the drape.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
I wouldn't want to subject you to that. Allow me.

The lines in the skirt must hang parallel to each other below the waist- this indicates that the garment is plumb and balanced. If one side is low or high, the lines will not be parallel. If the front is too long, the lines will gape. If it is too short the lines will scissor.

The amount of gaping is considered extreme here.
as11s.jpg

I think the following is self-explanatory, except in the last shot I pinned up the back. This is A&S, by the way
smile.gif

4267005916_ef03f48491_b.jpg

On whnay, the seat is probably too tight and the strap too long. I would let out he seat and shorten the strap (like the second shot) which would bring the coat into balance but the fronts would be too closed for his taste so I would redraw the shape of the curve to look like the Astaire coat.

indeed the front is too long and also the shoulder is too crooked.
the fitter ignored this and just took in the sides when the lower back pooched out.
thats why the sides fit smoothly. there is not enough inside to correct all of this.
an entire new jacket is in order.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
John Hitchcock himself, from his visit to NYC in October:

as4m.jpg

I think his suit looks great, but I wonder what some of our resident tailor members think. More info on the visit in my blog.

he is bending foreward, in effect making the strap longer.
notice the stripes at the bottom spread out.
like on the brown sport coat.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
WindowpaneCrotchShotsâ„¢:

763980423_GeLve-O.jpg

Even when whnay. gets a more perpendicular shot, I have the feeling that the pattern will not right itself that much...but, we'll see.

I suppose it is possible that there was an intent when the the jacket was cut to splay the windowpane out to the sides...but that's a rather unusual decision, and somewhat Dr. Seus. If, on the other hand, the windowpane was meant to present itself normally, something odd is definitely happening.

Moreover, since pattern expresses the grain of the fabric as Despos notes, it's not just a matter of appearence (that is, if it were a solid Breanish, no problem...but not really.)

- B

on all three jackets the bottom and pockets are parallel with the plaid pattern. only the brown jacket droops in front. it needs to be shortened at the top.

Doxe

Reaction score
only the brown jacket droops in front. it needs to be shortened at the top.

Is it possible to shorten a jacket without completely recutting it?

I had a jacket cut for me once and the tailor did not believe that I have an erect stance (maybe he thought I was standing up too straight because I was in front of a mirror). Sure enough at the first fitting the front was short and the back was long (the opposite of what you diagnose on whnay.'s breanish). The tailor ended up recutting the jacket.

But that was a basted fitting, whnay.'s jacket is finished.

What I'm trying to ask, in a roundabout way, is whether there is an easy solution to what you see as a problem (and others may not)?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
easy-button.jpg

No, not easy.

Your coat, on the other hand, shouldn't have needed a recut unless he really goofed; we normally leave enough so that this sort of adjustment can be done at the fitting stage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics