• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I still need to get a good outdoor shot of this in action, here's my contribution. It's unbelievably comfortable.

WW Chan
Minnis Air Force Blue

HK_suitsjackets016.jpg

HK_suitsjackets017.jpg

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
FNB said:

I love double breasted suits. I only have ten or so. I would make up almost all my suits double breasted but they aren't always practical for what I need them for.
When aren't they practical relative to a single breasted? When doing a guest appearance on Hee-Haw? What?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
FNB said: When aren't they practical relative to a single breasted? When doing a guest appearance on Hee-Haw? What?
I agree with you in principle. However, in practice, I find that single breasted suits come in handy in many situations; probably because some Americans think of them as either fussy or supercilious.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DBs always make me think of Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Don't know how to post a pic. Its prob very difficult.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
some Americans think of them as either fussy or supercilious.
Yeah, well, some Americans think ties are fussy and supercilious. What are we, a nation of farmers?

"First they came for the double-breasted coats, but I said nothing because I wore single breasted. Then they came for the tweed, but I said nothing because I wore worsted. Then they came for the shoes, but by then, none were left to come to my defense ...."

Forgot where I read that, but I like it.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Yeah, well, some Americans think ties are fussy and supercilious. What are we, a nation of farmers? "First they came for the double-breasted coats, but I said nothing because I wore single breasted. Then they came for the tweed, but I said nothing because I wore worsted. Then they came for the shoes, but by then, none were left to come to my defense ...." Forgot where I read that, but I like it.
No, we are not a nation of farmers and we have a fair share of people who respond positively to double breasted suits. However, as conformist as it is to keep in mind the reactions of others when we choose clothes, it can be a disaster to disregard it altogether. I am non conformist in some areas and for some purposes and very conformist in others. The suit itself is a very conformist article of clothes. The challenge is to be as non conformist as possible with a suit before being regarded as a crack pot or a misanthrope. That sounds like a quote from the wardrobe of Anne Frank.

joshman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
While I still need to get a good outdoor shot of this in action, here's my contribution. It's unbelievably comfortable.

WW Chan
Minnis Air Force Blue

HK_suitsjackets016.jpg

HK_suitsjackets017.jpg

MAGNIFICENT. BRAVO!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vox and Slewfoot, your suits look terrific!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm very happy with the way it came out. I'm getting my second DB on my next HK trip this month: a navy blue H&S Fresco. I already have the trousers from an existing suit so this way I can wear both jackets as odd blazers or as a suit. Versatility, here I come!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Slewfoot, that looks fantastic.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Foo! The next DB I get will be from Peter Lee so it'll be interesting to compare the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads