• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good site for quality leather jackets?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The OP doesn't sound like he wants that slim of a jacket, and also sounds like he would be happy with a lot less leather jacket than most people, but come on dude, this is styleforum SW+D. If Aero made MTM jackets that fit that slimly and looked right when done so (and we're talking for guys who are 130-140 lbs, not 180-200), a ton of people on here would have them. I have seen Aeros and they look good for what they are, but there is not a strong emphasis on fit/design with those kinds of leathers.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
If Aero made MTM jackets that fit that slimly and looked right when done so (and we're talking for guys who are 130-140 lbs, not 180-200)

otr looks slim enough on this Japanese waif (and in steerhide it would look even slimmer), and he doesn't need it any slimmer in any brand, especially not in horsehide:

2cqfuvk.jpg

a ton of people on here would have them.
There are alot of things SWD doesn't have, and that says nothing of the product. Personally, in the time that I've been on SF leather has never been much on anyones minds. The leather jackets thread only got made in mid-2008 and all these newb threads (most from posters with 1 or 2 post count) asking for exactly $500 leather jackets only started in the last 3-4 months at most.

I have seen Aeros and they look good for what they are, but there is not a strong emphasis on fit/design with those kinds of leathers.
Design? If by design you mean taking something like the highway man and adjusting season by season, I sincerely hope they don't do that.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think he could size down on the upper sleeve area, considering that everything else about that jacket is tiny :p
I don't think Aero does full 'MTM' like that - they probably have a set arm scye and a matching sleeve size setup, maybe 'slim' 'regular' and 'large', and they just lengthen/shorten to specs, but I find it hard to believe they draft bespoke patterns for every customer, it doesn't look like it from pics, and from the sizing requirements they ask of you.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Aero does full 'MTM' like that - they probably have a set arm scye and a matching sleeve size setup, maybe 'slim' 'regular' and 'large', and they just lengthen/shorten to specs, but I find it hard to believe they draft bespoke patterns for every customer, it doesn't look like it from pics, and from the sizing requirements they ask of you.

Well, that's for the buyer to call them and find out; speculation doesn't do much here. Full mtm or not, it's mtm and if it doesn't fit you send back the first and get a second one at no cost with altered specs.

With quality leather like that, impeccable construction, aero's willingness to customize their designs, and a re-sale value of around 80-90% of retail... pretty ******* amazing, to say the least.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
There are 2 kinds of leather jackets; the fashion oriented ones and the functional types. Both can be of very high quality depends how you look at them. I think you're going for looks rather than function as most of the people here.

Functional jackets like Schott NYC are very heavy(+6lbs) and also need some time to break in. They are also very thick, a feature of real motorcycle jackets.

For some inspiration you should checkout filmjackets.com.

I'd like both actually. A nice functional jacket and then someday a real flimsy, lightweight (almost like a tshirt) leather jacket that's fashion oriented

TyroneFig

Reaction score
The OP doesn't sound like he wants that slim of a jacket, and also sounds like he would be happy with a lot less leather jacket than most people, but come on dude, this is styleforum SW+D. If Aero made MTM jackets that fit that slimly and looked right when done so (and we're talking for guys who are 130-140 lbs, not 180-200), a ton of people on here would have them. I have seen Aeros and they look good for what they are, but there is not a strong emphasis on fit/design with those kinds of leathers.

Considering I'm fat, no.. slim isn't in the cards

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Another style I think I want is a fashionable lambskin light jacket with a standup collar or something that looks "hip"

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
lol
Sure can if you sale hunt. I'm sure a fashun-deal baller like yourself would already have known.

Originally Posted by TyroneFig
I already bought a great leather jacket for $250.. Don't be so sure high dollar value is the only way to go

have you guys tried one of the $2000+ RLBL/RLPL leather jackets before? thats good leather, and the cheapest ive seen it on sale for was $800. if your leather jackets are of the same quality leather as those, then im wrong.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
have you guys tried one of the $2000+ RLBL/RLPL leather jackets before? thats good leather, and the cheapest ive seen it on sale for was $800. if your leather jackets are of the same quality leather as those, then im wrong.

As a matter of fact, right here on SF you could buy a $2000+ (actually, $3000+, $3495, to be exact) RLPL butter-soft bomber for $600 BNWT. Photo courtesy of Fstyle's long gone FS thread:

2u9k8cy.jpg

He didn't sell it, I believe and probably could have knocked him down to $550.

Here's a RLPL leather jacket on ebay for $449 with 1 day left and free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-PUR...item27ae514fa7

And all those awesome $3000 leather jackets being sold in various places for $800 - $900 are being flipped at that price probably from the $500 range. They must be getting them from somewhere.

High quality leather jackets are very findable in the $500 price range.

I myself have tried on RLBL jackets on sale for $400, but were just too small. Beautiful jackets though.

mpcec

Reaction score
Reason being; leathers get to enjoy hugely inflated margins, just because they are leather, so they get made, they get pushed, and if they're hot, like Rick leathers a few years ago, then they get pushed hard. Using RO as an example: Rick often makes the same jacket styles in both leather and cloth versions; the former are often $1000 more than the cloth versions, but why? The people making the jackets are obviously the same, cutting from the same pattern, pushing textile through the same machine using the same thread, so labor cost would be exactly the same at his level; the difference in material cost would be less than $100, so total difference in out the door cost between the $3000 leather version and the $1500 cloth version of the same jacket would be less than $100.

I never really look into this kind of stuff, but I never would've guessed this. Really interesting piece of information. Appreciate the knowledge drop.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
As a matter of fact, right here on SF you could buy a $2000+ (actually, $3000+, $3495, to be exact) RLPL butter-soft bomber for $600 BNWT. Photo courtesy of Fstyle's long gone FS thread:

2u9k8cy.jpg

He didn't sell it, I believe and probably could have knocked him down to $550.

Here's a RLPL leather jacket on ebay for $449 with 1 day left and free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-PUR...item27ae514fa7

And all those awesome $3000 leather jackets being sold in various places for $800 - $900 are being flipped at that price probably from the $500 range. They must be getting them from somewhere.

High quality leather jackets are very findable in the $500 price range.

I myself have tried on RLBL jackets on sale for $400, but were just too small. Beautiful jackets though.

My bomber jacket (an A-2) is WAY better looking and of course accurate (since it's military issue) than that one and I only paid $250. The leather is goatskin and awesome. Very soft, smooth and extremely durable.

I'd prefer something non bomber style though. Something a bit more modern/in style. Something with a popped up collar maybe

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
No No, don't do that. Put an extra $100 or so on top of your $500 and get an aero.

Get cowhide instead of horsehide and it's mtm so disregard the post above which is making aero sound that it has to be non-slim. That's non-sense.

Hmm, it might be trickier to get a $600 Aero now that they've hiked their prices. That Highwayman on my shopping list will need some reconsidering, now that it's $250 more expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics