• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
in the old days, we called that Port.

laugh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
A 2004 Brunello Di Monalcino La Fiorita, Tuscany, Italy. As soon as the som named this wine, I waslike "OMG Lish that's the wine I just dropped all that money on!!!" I was so excited to try it. This wine did not disappoint in the least. In fact, it has me REALLY ******* excited for the special day I decide to open my own.

that's great! that's a buddy of mine's wine. Lucio Gomiero, he's this crazy hard-core foodie from outside Verona, but he actually lives just outside of Salinas where he's--get this--the world's biggest grower of radicchio (at least as far as can be ascertained ... most of it goes to McD to use for color in their mixed salad). he's got two tre bicchiere wineries in italy ... one of them is vignalta, which is outside of verona and makes really good, very affordable wines (i know you can find them at corti bros). then a few years ago he started la fiorita. believe he got 3 glasses in his first vintage. really a sweet guy and one of the ultimate food nerds.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i really like old-style chianti classicos (classici?), and monsanto is a really good producer.

Monsanto is a good suggestion. But keep an open mind, it's not a Chianti for everybody.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
The new guy from CityZen, right? He was recovering from a cough when I was there... it was fun shooting the bull with him about DC restaurants. He definitely knows his stuff; I think he's due to take his Masters Somm test soon.
worship.gif

Yezzzzir!
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is that the guy with reddish hair and sort of bulgy eyes?

Kyle,
fistbump.gif
So happy for you to get that experience.

No, that's Brian. He's a server- a very good one.
*sigh* Our boy is growing up Matt.
***** I been growed up for years.
that's great! that's a buddy of mine's wine. Lucio Gomiero, he's this crazy hard-core foodie from outside Verona, but he actually lives just outside of Salinas where he's--get this--the world's biggest grower of radicchio (at least as far as can be ascertained ... most of it goes to McD to use for color in their mixed salad). he's got two tre bicchiere wineries in italy ... one of them is vignalta, which is outside of verona and makes really good, very affordable wines (i know you can find them at corti bros). then a few years ago he started la fiorita. believe he got 3 glasses in his first vintage. really a sweet guy and one of the ultimate food nerds.
That's a great story. Well, I can tell you his wine was damned good. And this bottle is less than $50 retail, I believe.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
***** I been growed up for years.

Just 'cause you need to shave, doesn't mean you're growed up.
teacha.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yesterday, I used 1.25 cups of this to cook:
2049195050043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Notice the ridiculous honey color:
2523654310043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And this is what the GF made me. Linguine with monkfish, thyme, and zucchini. And then prosciutto wrapped veal cutlets with sage. I finished the bottle of wine while she cooked, and then we split another. Happy time
smile.gif

2785878990043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Because of the bad influence of you hooligans, today I bought six new wine glasses and a new decanter. Making dinner for six on Saturday, with a great assortment of wines and I wanted to be ready.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Noice.

Btw, the three Barolo Cindy Wines arrive tomorrow
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^ Noice.

Btw, the three Barolo Cindy Wines arrive tomorrow
smile.gif

and my wine club for January should be arriving tomorrow or Wed
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Because of the bad influence of you hooligans, today I bought six new wine glasses and a new decanter. Making dinner for six on Saturday, with a great assortment of wines and I wanted to be ready.

me, johnny ... who are the other 4?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
and my wine club for January should be arriving tomorrow or Wed
smile.gif

Noice. Wife just ordered a case of The Chronique from Betts&Scholl. So hard to stop buying
frown.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
So hard to stop buying
frown.gif

especially with bonus season rolling around and a potential temporary yet substantial increase in funding (hellooooo Solito!)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
especially with bonus season rolling around and a potential temporary yet substantial increase in funding (hellooooo Solito!)

Have fun
smile.gif

My cellar is putting a severe, systemic limit on me! Must drink moar.

Btw, pate de campagne. Pinot? Shall be home made.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am 26 years old. For the past three months I have been adding 6 bottles a month to my cellar. I am not planning on drinking anything out of it until 2012. That will give me 155 bottles when 2012 hits.
I used to be such a nice boy. Look at what you've done to me!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads