• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo in London

Oligarch

Reaction score
Been invited to a wedding, and am finally going to have to take the plunge and buy a tux.

The wedding's in NY in 2 weeks, but I'm in London until then, so was wondering where I'd have the best luck finding a tuxedo here for under US$800.

Any suggestions as to where one should look? Any worthwhile MTM options in that price range?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to get MTM done in two weeks.

Do you want conservative or fashion forward?

Oligarch

Reaction score
Yeah, thought 2 weeks would be ambitious. I'd like something classic/conservative.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest TM Lewin for a decent cheap option with pretty classical styling, but they don't seem to have a dj on their website any more. It might be worth popping into one of their shops if you happen to pass one though.

pwy95a

Reaction score
Posters are right - MTM is completely out of the question given your timeframe and your budget.

I had one helluva tuxedo search several months ago. Best solutions were found via eHaberdasher (www.ehaberdasher.com).

I bought both the Benajmin Sartorial Tuxedo and a RLPL - two completely different price points, as one was literally 1/2 the price of the other.

Ended up keeping the RLPL because it was damn beautiful, but I must say that the Benjamin Sartorial was pretty damn good, especially for the money. It had just about everything I wanted in a tuxedo: 1B, peak lapel, tasteful dual vents, plain front pant, full canvas construction, etc.

Consider it
benjamin1bpeaktux1.jpg

And here's mine in action
michaelmastermgala033ed.jpg

Macallan

Reaction score
Have a look at Gieves, Hackett, etc with the sales, you may find something for £500 or under. Another option is Marks & Spencers, who at full retail, are within your budget.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on quality, but Charles Tyrwhitt has a peak lapel dinner acket and matching trousers ringing in at under 300 pounds. You can probably walk out with basic alterations and a shirt, cummerbund, and bow tie the same day...

K

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might find something vintage and ex bespoke at Old Hat, give them a call first though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
ffffuuuu.gif

I don't understand the M&S hate. It's not high quality, but for the price I think they're stuff is pretty damn good value.

When the OPs budget is up to $800 though he can certainly do better.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I don't understand the M&S hate. It's not high quality, but for the price I think they're stuff is pretty damn good value.

I know nothing about the label, but that tux looks like ****.

You said it though:

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
When the OPs budget is up to $800 though he can certainly do better

savilerogue

Reaction score
I know nothing about the label, but that tux looks like ****. You said it though:
Thanks for your insightful assessment. Especially the teenage emoticon. Could I trouble you to ask what specifically about it looks, ahem, '****'?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low armholes, terrible looking vents, baggy sleeves, ugly machined pick stitching on the lapels, and crappy looking fabric that bunches at the seams.

savilerogue

Reaction score
Low armholes, terrible looking vents, baggy sleeves, ugly machined pick stitching on the lapels, and crappy looking fabric that bunches at the seams.
Ha. All this from one full length picture of one individual? You must be some kind of sartorial genius. Or maybe not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads