• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HK tailor that lets you bring in outside fabric?

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
USD400 is enough for most high end brand "normal wool wrosted"(Super 100's, may be up to Super 120's) mid weight (9-10oz) suit farbic, like H&S, Scabal, Zegna, if you know where to buy.

Where can you get Scabal and H&S fabrics at these prices?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dib
Where can you get Scabal and H&S fabrics at these prices?

I bought directly from H&S last time 3-4 yrs ago, they charged me GBP70/m for "snowy river." and "sablecash"(9oz) GBP70x3=GBP210=USD340.
You can get it cheaper (about 30%off) if you could buy it from a local cloth suppliers.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I just want to make sure- does Yao have a semi-sophisticated default (house) style?- i.e. high armholes, conforming and non-bulky canvassing, and minimal shoulder padding if requested? And he does the proper number of fittings? I know what else I want in terms of lapel width and shape, amount of waist suppression, open quarters, and all around slim-fit... I hope that's specific enough for Yao.

The 'estrato' stretch wool I mentioned before is 120's and like 8 ouces I believe... I hope that's not too light, flimsy or shiny??!! And wouldn't look odd on the 'hard' cut savile-row type style i was hoping for.

Also, if anyone could post pics of what Yao did for you that would be great, on this thread or the other one I resurrected.

High armholes won't be the default house style of any HK tailor, but yao will do it if you request. Normally, 2 fittings are minimum.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High armholes won't be the default house style of any HK tailor, but yao will do it if you request. Normally, 2 fittings are minimum.

Is there a basted fitting?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Is there a basted fitting?

Yes.
He just don't have the "finish bar finish" fitting. I think you could still ask for it, if you want.

Dib

Reaction score
I bought directly from H&S last time 3-4 yrs ago, they charged me GBP70/m for "snowy river." and "sablecash"(9oz) GBP70x3=GBP210=USD340.
You can get it cheaper (about 30%off) if you could buy it from a local cloth suppliers.

How did you manage to buy direct from H&S? The last time i called them in London to enquire about prices, they said that they only sold wholesale/trade and not to private individuals...

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
I know WWChan and Gordon Yao tour the US. Does A-Man do US tours?

I don't believe that A-Man travel at all. Not sure why, frankly.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dib
How did you manage to buy direct from H&S? The last time i called them in London to enquire about prices, they said that they only sold wholesale/trade and not to private individuals...

I just sent them email. The email address of the sales person is on my old computer, so I don't have it on hand. Just try to email them: enquiries"at"hollandandsherry.co.uk

I do have swatch and quotation few yrs ago with me, it said: #290101 GBP69/m, #739522 GBP75/m.

And yes, A-Man don't travel. They have enough business, no need to travel.

sixpaq

Reaction score
I'm stopping by AMHC this Monday. Does anyone know what they're charging for CMT these days?

Trying to decide whether or not to lug my wool up from Singapore.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm stopping by AMHC this Monday. Does anyone know what they're charging for CMT these days?

Trying to decide whether or not to lug my wool up from Singapore.

AMHC charges over HKD10000 for a two piece CMT. But they do like quoting different price to different people

marburymadison

Reaction score
Check with them. They do take a very long time to get their suit ready.

Last edited:

sixpaq

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did try calling them today but was told (somewhat curtly) to just come in to talk it over next week in person.

HKD 10K-ish sounds possibly less than what Yao is charging these days but not enough of a difference to really matter. My last CMT suit with Yao was HKD 5500 in 2009, believe it or not. This will be my first experience with AMHC, CMT or otherwise.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tips. I did try calling them today but was told (somewhat curtly) to just come in to talk it over next week in person.

HKD 10K-ish sounds possibly less than what Yao is charging these days but not enough of a difference to really matter. My last CMT suit with Yao was HKD 5500 in 2009, believe it or not. This will be my first experience with AMHC, CMT or otherwise.

Yep, for some reason Yao charges even more, but if I need to choose between them, I will go for AMHC because they have more structured cut.

For those who prefer to rely on big HK names, I strongly encourage Baramon, CMT price is far cheaper and their cut is certainly better than the other two mentioned here. But note they are not flexible.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yep, for some reason Yao charges even more, but if I need to choose between them, I will go for AMHC because they have more structured cut.

For those who prefer to rely on big HK names, I strongly encourage Baramon, CMT price is far cheaper and their cut is certainly better than the other two mentioned here. But note they are not flexible.

CMT price is like seafood price, Baramon maybe little cheaper but not too much. Baramon is very famous for old Shanghai.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads