• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has love for black suits?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it discussed why black suits are considered normative in in Asian countries? I always found it somewhat dreary and more because it's an easy choice than for any culturally-ingrained reasons. Interestingly, in Japan black suits are quite standard and expected for funerals, yet people who look like they don't give a darn can always be seen shuffling around in baggy black suits to work every day, too (most people).

As to black trousers, I was having the same discussion with someone recently: I think it's just too funerary (and bland) looking for everyday wear, but he was telling me that black trousers with white shirt is the height of simplistic minimalism. I think it's a bit brutal myself.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I was wearing one recently to a party I went to and I received some many compliments that I was internally having a fit of laughter thinking of all the SF anti-black suits brigade.

To be fair , I was only wearing that suit because I didn't want to go there with a bespoke suit and getting some cigarette burns on it while dancing away.

I have the right high contrast complexion but it is still amazing that I receive more compliments wearing a cheap black Canali suit than a great bespoke flannel one.

Is it not just ironic?

After posting on this thread a few days ago, I dug out my old black corduroy suit from APC (bought around 2000-2001). I was delighted that it still fit me - my wife and sister-in-law both said it looked great. I wore it to a local bar and some friends complimented me on my look...

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
As to black trousers, I was having the same discussion with someone recently: I think it's just too funerary (and bland) looking for everyday wear, but he was telling me that black trousers with white shirt is the height of simplistic minimalism. I think it's a bit brutal myself.

Outside of formal events and fancy evenings, plain black suit/trousers and white shirt is not a good look - this is probably one of the core reasons why some people do not like black suits.

With a plain black suit/trousers: Go for a light coloured or some form of stripe shirt, if required a tie, polished black shoes and possibly add a pocket square - a much better use of black and does not look bland.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my only black suit in college (Joseph Abboud). They seemed to be in fashion, since I saw so many people wearing them to and from interviews on campus, so I thought I should get one too. I already had a nice navy suit.

Upon reflection, a large portion of the people I saw wearing them were asian, so that may have had something to do with their popularity.

I still wear the black suit to work about once every one or two weeks. With a white shirt and a bright tie, it looks great. Fit is much more important than color. Unless its green or brown - yuck.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
After posting on this thread a few days ago, I dug out my old black corduroy suit from APC (bought around 2000-2001). I was delighted that it still fit me - my wife and sister-in-law both said it looked great. I wore it to a local bar and some friends complimented me on my look...

Just to remember that Sf is a sartorial heaven reserved for the happy few.

We're cut from the real sartorial and fashion world and it is funny to see how relevant or irrelevant are our certitudes...

gram thorpe

Reaction score
It is okay but I find it very common. Everyone feel affection for black color.
bigstar[1].gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I was wearing one recently to a party I went to and I received some many compliments that I was internally having a fit of laughter thinking of all the SF anti-black suits brigade.

To be fair , I was only wearing that suit because I didn't want to go there with a bespoke suit and getting some cigarette burns on it while dancing away.

I have the right high contrast complexion but it is still amazing that I receive more compliments wearing a cheap black Canali suit than a great bespoke flannel one.

Is it not just ironic?

Frankly, compliments are little indication of either the appropriateness or attractiveness of a particular garment. People in general and women in particular have a tendency to notice and comment on the unusual or notable. When they are neutrally or favorably disposed towards you, these comments usually take the form of a compliment. It means only that they noticed that particular garment. When I receive such compliments, I generally take them to mean I did not incorporate the complimented item into what I was wearing in such a way that it formed a coherent whole. The best compliments are those that don't mention a particular item.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
While I am no longer as much of a fan as the black suit as I was back in school, it can still look good if worn slim. That said, I'm not a fan of plain black suits at daytime, unless you're in really good shape, in which case you're excused. Black suits/blazers/sports jackets with some texture on the other hand, can be a thing of immense beauty, as if it had depths that your eyes cannot help but be drawn into.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Frankly, compliments are little indication of either the appropriateness or attractiveness of a particular garment. People in general and women in particular have a tendency to notice and comment on the unusual or notable. When they are neutrally or favorably disposed towards you, these comments usually take the form of a compliment. It means only that they noticed that particular garment. When I receive such compliments, I generally take them to mean I did not incorporate the complimented item into what I was wearing in such a way that it formed a coherent whole. The best compliments are those that don't mention a particular item.

I don't mean to be rude, but frankly I would rather have compliments from hot women than the approval of my learned peers on this website. (And a black corduroy suit is perfectly appropriate for a bar in the bobo third arrondisement.)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

I prefer women find me attractive than the garment I have chosen to wear that night.

We could also talk ad vitam aeternam about the stimuli behind our sartorial choices and the relationship between our sartorial aura/persona and the rest of the world.

I personally love looking relevant to the situation i'm evolving in and in a trendy nightclub ,a black suit is more relevant than a flannel one .

With sartorially advanced people , it is also true that the best compliments are the silent ones but they're not the norm.

In every social or networking environment, looking good is sometimes more important than looking right, even if the shallowness of this argument is evident.

The pleasure of looking good prevails sometimes over the pleasure of the cloth.

I'm vain and that is my downfall.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
I don't mean to be rude, but frankly I would rather have compliments from hot women than the approval of my learned peers on this website.
blasphemy-2.jpg

rgoldstein

Reaction score
I too own a black suit that I wear to work semi-often. The rest of my work rotation is either gray, blue, or chocolate. I've never seen the black suit as a major faux pas. I don't really see the big deal, honestly.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
I too own a black suit that I wear to work semi-often. The rest of my work rotation is either gray, blue, or chocolate. I've never seen the black suit as a major faux pas. I don't really see the big deal, honestly.

Shouldn't be wearing brown to work either :p

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan

Brown is not a work colour if I may use that terminology.

In most profession ,wearing a dark brown/chocolate suit will be seen as a fashion faux-pas.

I t can look fantastic if you have the right high contrast complexion but it is more casual colour to wear outside work.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan

I refuse to wear only blue and grey to work everyday. Thats ridiculously boring no matter who you are or how beautiful the suit in question is.

Besides, it isn't ESPN talking head shiny chocolate brown, and I don't wear loud ties or pocket squares with it. Its wool and its rather subdued, yet still different enough. Resembles this:

2.jpg

I've received some serious compliments from both male and female clients as well as my co-workers.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads