• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

aviddresser

Reaction score
I am a 26 year old 6'7 Caucasian male with short brown hair, blue eyes, a 40 inch waist and a 34 pants length. My shoe size ranges between 15 and 16 men's US size. I'm moving to New York within the next three weeks. I currently live in a big city in the south, but obviously I want to update my wardrobe DRAMATICALLY. My new job is in Manhattan. I will be working at a place where we are allowed to be completely casual. Jeans and t-shirt are completely acceptable and is what many of the employees wear. Of course, I could add a little more style, but I want to be completely comfortable. I need to find the following: - Stylish jeans in my size (40x34) - (T-shirts are taken care of by the company, no suggestions needed) - Other tops that might go well with the work environment I described - Good casual shoes size 15 or 16, specific shoe suggestions if possible...or brands, but staying stylish and trendy, stylish sneakers is the way I'm thinking judging from what I saw others wearing during my interview, I like the Vans Classic Slip-Ons, the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Ox's and the Vans Authentic Core Classics...but I'm open to your suggestions! I'm into Vans. I really like these: http://www.zappos.com/vans-old-skool...assics-black-1 - Some sort of a long overcoat to keep me warm and dry...I went to a local Joseph A. Bank and found a wool overcoat, but what would that look like going over a t-shirt and jeans? I only currently have a nice blue 2-piece North Face jacket - Sock suggestions that go with whatever shoe suggestions you give...yeah...I'm not a very smart guy when it comes to clothing Dumb question: How many pairs of jeans and shoes should I buy, pretending I have none right now? My job is M-F, 5 days a week. Money isn't as much of a problem since I haven't updated my wardrobe in a while. I'll spend what needs to be spent, but please give a few suggestions ranging in price. I need help building a whole new wardrobe! I am COMPLETELY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. I await your expertise!

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always tougher when you're 6'7 and you're a bit taller and larger than everyone else. The sneakers you posted are decent (could be a lot worse) and when you're a size 15/16 there are only so many options. Converse tend to look a little sleeker and more grown up.

If you're open to it, a lot of people here have 1 pair of jeans that they wear almost everyday without washing. It's called raw denim and I think even if you do want to wash it just like you wash regular denim it'd be a good investment because they look more refined and they're of a higher quality.

If you're not willing to splurge too much on denim (they can get in the $200-$300 range) there's always the Levis 501 STF which should come in your size.

With socks if you don't want to think just stick to plain black socks. Stay away from white socks unless you're doing sports. I would tell you some sources but I have no idea how those 'one size' socks fit a size 15/16.

aviddresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
It's always tougher when you're 6'7 and you're a bit taller and larger than everyone else. The sneakers you posted are decent (could be a lot worse) and when you're a size 15/16 there are only so many options. Converse tend to look a little sleeker and more grown up.

If you're open to it, a lot of people here have 1 pair of jeans that they wear almost everyday without washing. It's called raw denim and I think even if you do want to wash it just like you wash regular denim it'd be a good investment because they look more refined and they're of a higher quality.

If you're not willing to splurge too much on denim (they can get in the $200-$300 range) there's always the Levis 501 STF which should come in your size.

With socks if you don't want to think just stick to plain black socks. Stay away from white socks unless you're doing sports. I would tell you some sources but I have no idea how those 'one size' socks fit a size 15/16.

Thanks for the tips. As for socks, I have some long black ones that fit me. I'm open to suggestions on the shoes. Here are some in my size sorted by popularity:

http://www.zappos.com/search/shoes/f...Popularity/asc

About the jeans...I AM willing to splurge on denim if need be seeing as I haven't updated my wardrobe in a long time. I just looked at the STF jeans here:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692024

I'm open to suggestions still
smile.gif

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more about Denim go to the Denim thread at the top of this forum. Those Levis 501 STF are good and you should get them anyway in case there's a situation where you're not comfortable with wearing your $300 denim. From Zappos the shoes worth looking into are... http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sid...-classic-brown Navy's not a bad color either. For a pair of business/formal shoes http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...ck-custom-calf Is the go-to shoe. And for a pair of boots if these float your boat, then by all means go for them. http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-1460-cherry-red-smooth They're not for everyone though. And then there's also the classic Chucks and the Vans.

aviddresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
For more about Denim go to the Denim thread at the top of this forum. Those Levis 501 STF are good and you should get them anyway in case there's a situation where you're not comfortable with wearing your $300 denim. From Zappos the shoes worth looking into are... http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sid...-classic-brown Navy's not a bad color either. For a pair of business/formal shoes http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...ck-custom-calf Is the go-to shoe. And for a pair of boots if these float your boat, then by all means go for them. http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-1460-cherry-red-smooth They're not for everyone though. And then there's also the classic Chucks and the Vans.
Thanks. I'm heading to a store in a few minutes to pick up some of the Levi jeans. The only Sperry Top-Sider's available in size 15 are the Brown/Buc Brown and Ice, and I would likely only go with the Brown/Buc Brown ones: http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sid...rown-buc-brown Looking at the Converse ones, only a few are available in size 15. Which available color would go best with jeans? Carolina, Charcoal, Chocolate, Green or Maroon. I don't think I'd want Carolina or Green. I like the Maroon, but I think Charcoal would be the "safe" color: http://www.zappos.com/converse-chuck-taylor-all-star-ox I don't need business formal shoes. I'm not currently looking for boots (unless you recommend it for snowy NYC weather). If I went with those boots, the only color available is Grizzly/Bark which aren't bad. Thoughts? Do you have any suggestions on a long coat?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regarding the STF jeans, make sure you go up to a 36 length if you want the inseam to actually be 34 after you wash them.

aviddresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
regarding the STF jeans, make sure you go up to a 36 length if you want the inseam to actually be 34 after you wash them.

Do you recommend me giving them an initial wash in the washing machine after I bring them home? If so, warm water or cold?

Yeah I know, I ask very specific questions
smile.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
regarding the STF jeans, make sure you go up to a 36 length if you want the inseam to actually be 33 after you wash them.
ftfy They're shrink to fit, you have to wash them before wearing them (if you don't you'll spend months breaking them in and when you wash/soak them they'll shrink and be unwearable)

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
It sounds like you're looking for a plain white collared shirt? For slim fits, check places like H&M, J. Crew, Ralph Lauren custom fit, Ralph Lauren rugby, Brooks Brothers slim fit. As for things to wear over that, I don't think you could go wrong with a navy or gray blazer or sweater.
yeah, that sounds about what I'm looking for. everywhere I've looked around here though, all the sweaters/blazers are either ugly or a bad fit. not sure where else I should check out.

aviddresser

Reaction score
I ordered shoes and a pair of the shrink to fit Levi jeans. Went out and bought some socks.

My question that still remains is this: I need some sort of a long overcoat to keep me warm and dry. I went to a local Joseph A. Bank and found a wool overcoat, but what would that look like going over a t-shirt and jeans? Odd or not? I only currently have a nice blue 2-piece North Face jacket.

loopy

Reaction score
Super noob here; I'm looking for an slim fitting, unlined, navy blazer that will be worn casually, something of the kind that can be paired with either a dress shirt or a hoodie. I've googled a bit, but I don't really know where to start. Can anyone suggest me any brands to watch, or even something more specific? I'm a college student, so my budget is pretty limited - preferably under $100. Thanks!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loopy
Super noob here; I'm looking for an slim fitting, unlined, navy blazer that will be worn casually, something of the kind that can be paired with either a dress shirt or a hoodie. I've googled a bit, but I don't really know where to start. Can anyone suggest me any brands to watch, or even something more specific? I'm a college student, so my budget is pretty limited - preferably under $100. Thanks!

You don't have that many options for a new slim fit navy blazer that retails for under a $100. I would check thrift shops for a quality blazer that can be tailored or look at the sale racks at H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, Topman, Express, and other fast fashion stores.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aviddresser
I ordered shoes and a pair of the shrink to fit Levi jeans. Went out and bought some socks.

My question that still remains is this: I need some sort of a long overcoat to keep me warm and dry. I went to a local Joseph A. Bank and found a wool overcoat, but what would that look like going over a t-shirt and jeans? Odd or not? I only currently have a nice blue 2-piece North Face jacket.

I would recommend a peacoat from sterlingwear. They have long and extra long sizes to accommodate you. http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/ind...id=10&parent=1

Ibrock

Reaction score
I'm looking for a multi-purpose spring/fall wet weather jacket, maybe something out of waxed cotton/canvas. I want something with a modern cut (fairly short) that's not overly utilitarian like the barbour jackets, the 3sixteen monsoon jacket has caught my eye but it's towards the top end of what I'm willing to pay and the colour choices are limited.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads