• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made some chicken in mole - I had brought a bunch of differnt mexican chiles and spices from mexico city a while back. made a real kick ass mole. with corn tortillas

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
YUCK!

Last night I was in the city and we tried to go to Nopa, b/c the sous chef is a badass. Well, they had a 90 minute wait, so I called a friend and he said we should go to Pizzeria Delfina. Sounds great to me--- I've been wanting to try it since I first moved out here, but never had taken the chance. So we go, wait about 45 minutes for a seat, and everything looks good. Order the insalata tricolore, and it was good, if very basic. Still, for only $7, it was a good salad.
Then, to be adventurous and b/c I really wanted to try pig's ears, we ordered the pigs ears. I knew they'd be braised, cut thin, and then deep fried and served like that. What I didn't know was that somehow each strip was going to have this strange spiney cartilage line going through it. It was so terrible. Like eating bone instead of cartilage. I had a few pieces, Lish had a few pieces, and then we passed it on.
Then she had the broccoli raab pizza which was terrible, TERRIBLE, and I had the prosciutto pie, which was okay, but still not good.
Overall, the meal was so disappointing because I had really wanted to try eating there, and had only heard good things. I will likely be back at some point to at least give it another shot, but last night was so bad.

The pig ear there is awful. My wife calls it the rawhide dish. She was kicking herself for not going over to your table to tell you not to get it. Their broccoli raab pizza is usually great. I'm actually trying to figure out how a broccoli raab pizza could be bad.

Originally Posted by why
Nothing brings out the bitterness of rapini like a good blast of hot air from a pizza oven.
teacha.gif

+1. Broccoli raab and sausage is my favorite pizza by a good margin.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wife made some damn good pork. I got a case of these awesome racks of pork from Sysco. I've been breaking them down into chops. She did this great grill with coconut milk, basil, and other stuff. Had a nice Chard with it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The pig ear there is awful. My wife calls it the rawhide dish. She was kicking herself for not going over to your table to tell you not to get it. Their broccoli raab pizza is usually great. I'm actually trying to figure out how a broccoli raab pizza could be bad.

+1. Broccoli raab and sausage is my favorite pizza by a good margin.

It was terrible-- the raab pizza. Just so overpoweringly bitter. And then it had no flavor. Almost no salt. So basically it was just bitter, no other flavors whatsoever. I mean, I enjoy bitter components in a dish, but I don't want an entire pizza that tastes like bland dough, bland cheese, and bitter raab. And it made even less sense when you figured that my dough tasted very good, seasoned well. It was just a strange night. I have to assume it was a complete fluke, and I'll likely be trying them again.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't blanch the rapini or blanch it long enough. That's usually the mistake people make when they cook it -- some line chef might've put it on there raw.
crazy.gif

Rapini with potatoes and garlic is so good. I've never had it on pizza, but I can imagine how it'd taste awesome. I love rapini's bite.
drool.gif

Histrion

Reaction score
I ate way too much yesterday.

Lunch:
- French Onion Soup
- Filet mignon with mushroom sauce, fries, good mayonnaise
Washed down with carbonated water...

Dinner:
- Delicious hamburger with creamcheese, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce, crisp fries and mayonnaise
Washed down with a couple pints of St. Ambroise

Reaction score
As I'm on a VLCD it was just shakes and a soup for me yesterday. Nothing interesting here even though I did bake some choc chip cookies for my boyfriend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last night started off with foie for me.
smile.gif
Here is it about to go into a blistering hot cast iron fry pan with some unsalted butter in it:

IMG_0557.jpg

Then we had some cured meat we brought back from San Fran, and one of my thuringers, sliced and cold with pepper mustard aioli. Add to that some stinky cheeses, a few other cheeses, some roasted red pepper spread, bottle of wine and sliced baguette
smile.gif

Happy Piob.

Tonight will be eggs with chorizo.

Histrion

Reaction score
Yesterday:

Lunch: Walleye burger
Dinner: We started it off by enjoying some munchies: serrano ham, prosciutto San Daniele, rosette de Lyon, smoked scallops, smoke albacore tuna. Then I cooked a pretty massive piece of wild, line-caught Red Spring Salmon along with asparagus, red peppers and shiitake. Washed down with a Gewurztraminer. Good times.

Today:
Brunch: Yukon Gold potato and pumpkin gratin, maple glazed pork, soft boiled eggs
Dinner: Undetermined

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
before dinner hung out at a champange bar and had champagne

ravioli with duck in vegetable broth apetizer
confit of duck
tart tartin
nice enough sancerre with dinner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads