• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by d.naj
I just purchased a pair of AF53's and it looks like there's a puncture hole in the cordovan on the back of the right boot. I asked at the DC Alden store and was told this is typical of their boots. I've never seen anything like this on any Aldens, has anyone ever had something like this with theirs? Thoughts on what I should do?

They all have it. No need to worry!

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Damn that was quick thanks man many warm thanks. Can I get some reassurance from more guys so I can have peace of mind? Not that I don't trust you INY I'm just paranoid. Are you the same size?
10D Barrie Last
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
still seems like something youd not expect for a 400 to 500 dollar boot.
I never even noticed it until some d00d posted pictures online. You will never notice it unless you look or possibly if you are shining the boot.
___________________________________________________________________________________​
Here are some Ultimate Indy's I pre-ordered from Tom a little while ago. I will say it sucked because after I made the pre-order Tom had a bunch of Indy goodness on his website and I started to second guess myself. I am very happy with these. The pics on Leather Soul are great but the boots look better in person. They are a very versatile dark brown that I would classify as coffee maybe. I have been busy and have not had time to treat these. I am thinking about Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP but I have to get some. I want to preserve the contrast stitching as long as possible. I am going to Iowa next week and want to take these but since I have not treated them I may leave these at home and take a pair of Black Cordovan PTB's I got from Tom this summer. Really, I am not sure there is anything that can harm these even untreated and some of the beat up Indy's are the best I have seen. My photography skills are limited by a severe IBTL (Idiot Behind The Lens) error but I hope you find these useful.
ultimateindy1.jpg
ultimateindy2.jpg
ultimateindy3.jpg
ultimateindy5.jpg
I HIGHLY recommend these boots and consider them my best purchase of this decade!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those ultimate indys are beautiful.

The aniline calfskin on these is different from Chromexcel, or is it the same material? I thought they were different but now I'm not sure.

schrike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I never even noticed it until some d00d posted pictures online. You will never notice it unless you look or possibly if you are shining the boot.

Agreed; I have the AF53s and never noticed until I looked carefully. Admittedly, the holes on both of mine look a bit smaller, but they are definitely there. But considering I never noticed, and I brush & polish these regularly, I'm not too worried about it.

arrow

Reaction score
Nice Ultimate Indys!

Wish I had discovered Aldens in time for the Leathersoul version but 'm still
pretty excited about picking these up recently:

Brown Chrome Excel

4260385928_70eb08dd78.jpg

4260386178_2794672168.jpg

(we could never have enough Indys in this thread)

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
They all have it. No need to worry!
I've got them on a lot of my shoes (Aldens included), it's what happens when they nail the shoe to the last during assembly. Sometimes the leather on the heel covers it, sometimes not. No big deal, think of it as brogueing.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went by the NY store to pick up the black Indys today. They were sold out of 7.5 and 8s. Douche working there said they are supposed to get more in next week but there is a huge waitlist.

socialdtk

Reaction score
I was told by the NYC Alden shop that they were not expecting any new shipments of black indys for at least 3 months. They gave me the option of adding my name to the waiting list which had 4 people ahead of me in my size or to pay now and the boot was garenteed mine in 3+ months. I decided to just pick up the standard Indy and beat the **** out of it until it's not quite so red looking. Anyway... I couldn't be happier with the standard Indy. I think I'll have a lot more fun in it then I would have had with the black while trying to keep them in decent condition.

false

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
Nice Ultimate Indys!

Wish I had discovered Aldens in time for the Leathersoul version but 'm still
pretty excited about picking these up recently:

Brown Chrome Excel

4260385928_70eb08dd78.jpg

4260386178_2794672168.jpg

(we could never have enough Indys in this thread)

Where'd you find these pictures? I was going to have my gf pick up 405's for me in HK but if the cromexel version is starting to hit stores I'd appreciate a link!

Edit: The site i found with pre-orders had the price wrong. 450, not 350. Damnit!

racknac

Reaction score
Went to a local store today that was carrying Aldens to figure out my size so I could put myself on the wait list for some PTBoots from LeatherSoul.... however i'm very confused on the sizes. They had some Suede Chukkas that I tried on in 10.5 and 10. Both seemed to fit me length-wise, but the 10's were a bit better. I normally purchase 10.5 for my shoes in other brands. HOWEVER, when the salesmen measured my foot it seems that I am a size 12 for my right foot and size 11.5 for my left and have a narrow foot. He therefore recommended that for the cordovan boots I should get 11.5 narrow or 11 medium (D?).

This is making me really confused, I think i'm going to have to wait and actually try a pair on before i throw down $600 for boots. HURRY AND OPEN UP YOUR LOS ANGELES LEATHERSOUL!!! STOCK SOME INDY'S AND PTBOOTS!!!!

Gavroche88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by d.naj
I just purchased a pair of AF53's and it looks like there's a puncture hole in the cordovan on the back of the right boot. I asked at the DC Alden store and was told this is typical of their boots. I've never seen anything like this on any Aldens, has anyone ever had something like this with theirs? Thoughts on what I should do?

My 4060s have it. Exact boot, exact place.

Gunboat

Reaction score
Ivan, those look very nicely broken in. How long have you owned them?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK Jet, as a step away from just reposting 405s, here is my current collection of Aldens, though I have an additional pair of SC #8 jump boots on order from Tom at leathersoul. Color's probably closer without flash.

And yes, I have a deep love for longwings.

With flash
DSC_0469.jpg

Without
DSC_0470.jpg

Back row (all calf): Black longwings, Barrie; Brown scotchgrain longwings, Modified; Scotchgrain monks, commando sole, I think Hampton last; Brown oxford 6 hole wingtips (Hampton last?)

Front Row: PTB, #8 Cordovan, Modified last; Ultimate Indy, commando sole, True-Balance last; Whiskey SC longwings, Barrie last.

Oh, and you should fit a 10D Barrie or True-Balance.

Originally Posted by jet
Guys, can we post less poor man's aldens in here and more of the nicer shoes they make? There are a thousand pairs of the standard indys that we've seen plenty of times and unless they have some sort of character it really is unnecessary seeing stock indys over and over again. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads