• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

zipidy928

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I need help with my pea coat issue. My first two choices were the RL academy pea coat and the Buzz Rickson's pea coat. But since the RL is out of stock and the Buzz Rickson is too expensive, I decided to broaden my search.

This forum has very promising posts when it comes to Sterlingwear's quality. I ordered the Fidelity pea coat basing on the picture and it arrived today but I'm not too excited with it. I am size 36 chest but I usually order a size 38 when it comes to jackets because I don't want to look skimpy. In this case, I ordered a size 36. When it arrived, I tried it on and I think I want the fit to be more snug.

I came accross a post stating that Schott and Fidelity have the same quality and that Sterlingwear has the better quality based from a side by side comparison.

Now, I decided to return this and go with the Sterlingwear pea coat. I'm getting the Navigator because I like the satin lining. Should I get the size 34 or is Sterlingwear's fit more fitted as compared to Fidelity's? Also, should I get a short or a regular? I'm 5'8 but I like my coat to be low on the waist and have that modern effect.

Thanks in advance for any input
smile.gif

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I saw something on the net that implied that E and EE are the same width -- 'wide' on shoes, just as D and M are both standard or medium width. Is this true?

Thanks,
J

KendallAndKendall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Can you post pictures? That might help.

Hope these are decent. If not i can retake them later. I was in somewhat of a rush.

fjl0rn.jpg

v4m2qh.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KendallAndKendall
Hope these are decent. If not i can retake them later. I was in somewhat of a rush.
Those don't look too scuffed or scraped so I would expect that some shoe cream and polish could help them a lot. I would be more concerned about the fact that those shoes are heavily worn and if they were not your's originally, the shoe will be very broken in for someone else's foot.

sanjkt

Reaction score
has anyone tried out the timberland classic 2-eye boat shoe? i've been looking for a new pair, and picked these up for about $45, but I have no idea at all about the quality of these shoes (they feel, at first, a notch below the sperrys). The last pair of boat shoes I had was a pair of sperry topsiders that were too tight -- they loosened up wonderfully, but the stitching now resembles the shape of my foot instead of the nice rounded tip. i'm a fan of the sperrys, but i've been meaning to try out one of the similarly priced alternatives (sebago, llbean, timberland) for a long time now. I'm just not sure if I should go through the trouble of breaking in this pair or not.

nakokoro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Why not just take it to a tailor? It is like $10.

Its more about personal interest, not a money issue. Was just wondering if anyone did their own shirt shortening. Thanks for replying though.

B|aze

Reaction score
I have recently bought this tie, wich I liked. But I´m having a hard time matching it to other colors than white. Anybody hav some suggestions?
401995d5c8e.jpg
4020083dbfc.jpg
Sorry if the lighting is not good enough

zipidy928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
I have recently bought this tie, wich I liked.
But I´m having a hard time matching it to other colors than white.
Anybody hav some suggestions?
401995d5c8e.jpg

4020083dbfc.jpg

Sorry if the lighting is not good enough

Trying pairing it up with a shirt that's in the pink/lavender shade. Or maybe purple?

Timmbo

Reaction score
2ahcq55.png
Can anyone identify what glasses Dominic West is wearing here?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 35" waist, and for pants (e.g. Incotex cotton trousers), I find 34" too tight, and 36" way too big. Is it better to buy 34" and let out, and 36" and take in? The one time I tried to let out, tailor said it was not possible because extra fabric was discolored, also it loses the pretty waist notch. I've taken in a few 36" but never too happy with how they turn out, still too baggy especially in the waist. Any advice?
Although I am no expert I have a similar problem. I'm essentially a 35" but I buy 34" and have the waist let out.

However my build is slim, its my actual waist that hovers around either side of 35". My hips are slim, I have no bum to speak of and no real thighs - hence most OTR pants are too big in hips, bum and thighs if purchased at a 36". Especially until recently when the slimmer look arrived in OTR.

So with me all that is really being let out is the waistband and a small V down down a few inches in most cases. I know its not MTM but as I buy only on sale it allows me to get a pretty good fit over a wide range of pants (or trousers for the English audience) cheaply and with only the length and waist to be altered.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a general SF thread discussing "Made in China" vs "Made in ..." vs... Or is it actually too controversial for the forum policy? At least to some of us I think it's a matter of politics and society when we discuss where clothes are manufatured.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wish i could point out a thread to you because it's been discussed ad naseum, but i'm not sure we had a thread dedicated to it

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i wish i could point out a thread to you because it's been discussed ad naseum, but i'm not sure we had a thread dedicated to it

OK, thanks anyway. I'm hesitating to start such a thread, as I know it'll be a possible flamebait. A "Made in China" vs "Made in Italy" thread would possibly concern politics rather than clothes...

I've looked all over SF by the way, to find the forum policy, but for some reason I fail to find it.
frown.gif

spcl-k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
OK, thanks anyway. I'm hesitating to start such a thread, as I know it'll be a possible flamebait. A "Made in China" vs "Made in Italy" thread would possibly concern politics rather than clothes...

I've looked all over SF by the way, to find the forum policy, but for some reason I fail to find it.
frown.gif

There certainly will be your random trolls and wisecrackers, but I think it's a relevant issue in this type of forum.

That said, granted, it has been discussed before, but not the worst idea to put it up for discussion again.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PPB
...and how they deal with wardrobe maintenance issues.

Once again, I apologize to anyone who was offended by the post.

i.e. the washing machines are way better in europe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads