• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dressed US president?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Early SF MC forvm style:

2ltpt0p.jpg

- B

You know, if Mr Sam was still around, he would have put Binge's head and his scotch over this and we all would have rolled.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a boring question to be honest. Our leaders have always dressed with a somber and dull style so often, and for so long, that the question doesn't seem fit for this forum. I mean how many different ways can you wear a Navy Suit and White Dress Shirt? (cue vox photo-essay). What's next? Which Office Space character is the best dressed?

Post JFK, I guess Reagan, just on the fact that he wore brown a lot...

Millerp

Reaction score
Same uniform. Different interpretation.
BushandObama.jpg

wmb

Reaction score
Reagan... heck there is a reason he was a movie star -- he looks great.

Bush 1 and JFK very good prep trad and he had maybe the best casual stuff... he wore the stuff comfortably.

Bush 2 never looked comfortable in a suit.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
This is a boring question to be honest. Our leaders have always dressed with a somber and dull style so often, and for so long, that the question doesn't seem fit for this forum. I mean how many different ways can you wear a Navy Suit and White Dress Shirt? (cue vox photo-essay).

This really was kicked off by (President) Nixon. Candidate Nixon remembered getting the snot kicked out of him by the more-photogenic JFK. Photographs and television were increasingly in color by the late 1960s, and the color palate for Nixon (and then everyone else) was dramatically toned down.

Boyer describes it as the 'mid-western grain salesman' look; dark navy suit, white shirt, black lace ups, and a navy or red tie with small geometric patterns.

Chester Arthur, to celebrating being elected, went on the (inflation adjusted) equivalent of a $16,000 shopping spree at Brooks Brothers in Manhattan.

Upcomi1.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^That coat looks great. I'd like to have one like it.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianoh
^ bush still looks so awkward to me.

Originally Posted by wmb
Bush 2 never looked comfortable in a suit.

To the contrary: I always thought that GWB looked like a guy who knew he had the coolest job possible, that he was likely unqualified for it, and was just having a ball.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original question was since Kennedy, so we are down to comparing LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Regan, HW Bush, Clinton, W Bush, and Obama. From this group, I will stick with HW Bush, but I can see why some say Regan (second place for me) -- despite all the brown suits, the guy looked good in his clothes and knew a thing or two about fit and carrying himself when in public. If we are to expand this to the period that American presidents began wearing what would be considered modern clothes (about 1900??), the top five would likely be (in no particular order) Kennedy (enough pics already posted) Truman (ditto) FDR
fdr.jpg
TR (I couldn't resist this picture)
6a00d83451f25369e201156e35e2c2970c-800wi
And George HW Bush (my original choice for post Kennedy)

kynnjo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Best dressed pol right now is Willie Brown (ex SF mayor). One of the blogs has an interview with him (read it recently).

Good call.

Originally Posted by Roguls
J. Edgar Hoover was supposed to be a dandy.

Unelected officials don't count, because it's much easier to dress well if you don't have to worry about what the voters will think of you for it, and about rival politicians making an issue of it. Or so I claim.

~K

pejsek

Reaction score
I think the big problem here is that style now has true negative connotations for most American politicians (WLB excepted, of course). To dress in a stylish manner is seen as untrustworthy and putting on airs. Combine this with the general decline in knowledge about how to dress and, well, there you have the Great Collapse; and it's even worse for politicians.

Most politicians are happy to have a uniform--gets rid of a wildcard element. My wife has political ambitions and one of the first things she did when she realized this was go down to Ann Taylor and buy a cheap plain-colored suit. Quite a change from the Vivienne Westwood or CdG, but certain things require certain trade-offs. My Brother-In-Law is a litigator for a top DC firm and all he ever wears is head-to-toe JAB. Getting dressed has gone from being an aesthetic act that well-executed might please people to a highly-charged act that risks alienation and resentment.

kynnjo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
This really was kicked off by (President) Nixon. Candidate Nixon remembered getting the snot kicked out of him by the more-photogenic JFK. Photographs and television were increasingly in color by the late 1960s, and the color palate for Nixon (and then everyone else) was dramatically toned down.

This is interesting, but puzzling. Why would the politicians' response to color TV be to tone down their color palette? Is it because color TV made colors look more garish than they were in real life? Otherwise it makes no sense: if the pre-color TV palette was somehow offensive, color TV would not have been necessary to bring it into disfavor.

Originally Posted by crazyquik
Boyer describes it as the 'mid-western grain salesman' look; dark navy suit, white shirt, black lace ups, and a navy or red tie with small geometric patterns.

lol8[1].gif

http://www.ivy-style.com/bruce-almighty.html

~K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads