• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Brownie Recipe?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a really good brownie recipe? I like them slightly crispy on top with a fudgey inside, maybe some chocolate chips thrown in since I like to have as much chocolate as possible.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
1. Buy fudge.

2. Place in Pyrex baking dish.

3. Warm in oven.

4. Serve.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Both Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated have fudgie brownie recipes. You need to join their website to see the recipes. I've a subscription to Cook's Illustrated for the past 1o years. Everything they publish works, and I have yet to be disappointed with any recipe for a food I like.

amnesiac

Reaction score
betty crocker fudgy brownie box
+
1 (or 2) less eggs than recommended
+
1/4 cup or so of fox's u-bet chocolate syrup
+
optional nutella
+
cast iron skillet
+
take them out 5-10 minutes early

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one always worked well for me.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
This one always worked well for me.
We've been making these for 20+ years and just toss the crumbled bud directly into the mix. No cooking or straining, and we've never noticed a texture difference from regular brownies. Also, we always use butter not oil. Tastes much better.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
We've been making these for 20+ years and just toss the crumbled bud directly into the mix. No cooking or straining, and we've never noticed a texture difference from regular brownies. Also, we always use butter not oil. Tastes much better.
What?! Sorry, that is just plain wrong though. I know you may have been doing it for awhile, but having done it both ways (with several variations on both) multiple times, I will without a doubt say that preparing oil beforehand is infinitely better. The only argument worth arguing is whether or not to bake at a low temp before making the oil. If you are cooking oil beforehand it is much easier to use oil though, as butter burns much easier. But... If you make the butter properly (boil mixed with water and let cool/freeze so it separates) it tastes like regular butter and you don't risk burning it.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
What?! Sorry, that is just plain wrong though. I know you may have been doing it for awhile, but having done it both ways (with several variations on both) multiple times, I will without a doubt say that preparing oil beforehand is infinitely better. The only argument worth arguing is whether or not to bake at a low temp before making the oil. If you are cooking oil beforehand it is much easier to use oil though, as butter burns much easier. But... If you make the butter properly (boil mixed with water and let cool/freeze so it separates) it tastes like regular butter and you don't risk burning it.
I'm only saying we've never tried this oil preparation method, yet we've never noticed any actual bud texture in the finished product. Somehow it always just dissolves in the batter.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever recipe you end up with, use the freshest, best ingredient you can find. For eggs and butter go to your local farmers markets. For chocolate, use Valrhona, and chop it up into chucks in lieu of chocolate chips, you can buy them at baker supply stores far much cheaper than, say, Whole Food. Don't buy the pre-packaged loose stale rancid shelled walnut, buy whole un-shelled ones and shell them yourself.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Whatever recipe you end up with, use the freshest, best ingredient you can find. For eggs and butter go to your local farmers markets. For chocolate, use Valrhona, and chop it up into chucks in lieu of chocolate chips, you can buy them at baker supply stores far much cheaper than, say, Whole Food. Don't buy the pre-packaged loose stale rancid shelled walnut, buy whole un-shelled ones and shell them yourself.

Heh, maybe I should just raise a chicken, or fly to S. America to harvest cocoa? Man, it's f'n brownies.....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
Heh, maybe I should just raise a chicken, or fly to S. America to harvest cocoa? Man, it's f'n brownies.....

JPier did ask for the best brownie recipe.... not just whatever brownie recipe anyone here has cooked with. Plus Von's advice works for pretty much any time you cook.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
JPier did ask for the best brownie recipe.... not just whatever brownie recipe anyone here has cooked with. Plus Von's advice works for pretty much any time you cook.

Kwilk,

That was my point, exactly. Use top notch ingrediants...wow, Im floored. However, most people don't want to spend $30 on ingrediants to make brownies. Good choc, aside.

PS Thanks again for the lavender scallop recipe; it was fantastic! I just think people try way too hard, bordering on ridiculous, at times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics