• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is this ticket pocket fad gonna end?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The ticket pocket fad will end the day after the last man on horse crosses toll bridge or gate through private property.

Until then, we need that pocket.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really dislike those silly "lapels" that they've been putting on jackets lately. Way overused, IMO. Seems like nearly every sports jacket or suit I see has them on there. Just wondering whether or not you chaps think I should start a thread about it. Let me know.

Oh, and...IBP.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even my car has a ticket pocket. If you lose the autostrada ticket they make you pay for the max. So the ticket is the most valuable thing on my car.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Ticket pocket look great on the right suit.

What I find difficult to stomach os ticket pocket + slanted pockets.

Yes, but that was the original configuration.

I like 'em, and I don't give a flying **** whether they're fashionable or not, whether they're on an H&M suit or not and in my opinion nor should anyone else.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn"t call them a fad, but they are definitely much more common now than they were 5-10 years ago. Back then it was quite rare to see one except on very high end suits. Now you can find them on mid-brow suits at Filenes.

I'm not a big fan of them personally (I think they look a bit redundant) but I do believe they have been a perfectly acceptable choice for the well-dressed man for eons. They just go in and out of style,much like peak lapels, knit ties, and flat front pants. As opposed to, say, duck-front bicycle-toe shoes, which are a fad.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
It's been going on for too long and I think it should stop. What are your thoughts?

I don't see a problem with them, it's not really my style but I think it looks just fine on others.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been putting them on my suits since the first bespoke suit I got, maybe 17-18 years ago. I get them on the left side, and I use them for my cell phone. I figure that I will use them for the rest of my life - so if in 40 years or so people want to stop using them, that works for me.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Yes, but that was the original configuration. I like 'em, and I don't give a flying **** whether they're fashionable or not, whether they're on an H&M suit or not and in my opinion nor should anyone else.
Exactly. If you're going to worry about ticket pockets, just don't get them. I love how they look and I use them, and I usually get them on single breasted jackets of English make. They have the same informalizing touch as a 3/2. They are a bit of rus in urbe. I do think that they oft go awry in RTW, and when Italian or Asian tailors do them. - B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself fortunate that I do not count ticket pocket wearers amongst my friends. I was once assaulted in a foggy alley by a man with a ticket pocket and only narrowly escaped garroting with an over the calf sock ( a sober colored one with a small pattern because plain socks are boring but too much of a pattern might elicit a comment).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love them. Hope it never dies.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
Personally, I would rather see the peaked lapel SB trend go out the door before the ticket pocket.

they have been around as long as cutaway/ morning coats. 150+ years.

Yes, I know...but recently they have been on every fashion forward suit available to the general public. It's now almost default instead of notched RTW everything is comming out with peaked lapels.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I find myself fortunate that I do not count ticket pocket wearers amongst my friends. I was once assaulted in a foggy alley by a man with a ticket pocket and only narrowly escaped garroting with an over the calf sock ( a sober colored one with a small pattern because plain socks are boring but too much of a pattern might elicit a comment).

I bet you've got a few DB's with the old ticket pocket lurking in that wardrobe...come on...come on...'fess up.
wink.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I bet you've got a few DB's with the old ticket pocket lurking in that wardrobe...come on...come on...'fess up.
wink.gif

Actually I do not. With the sole exception a 19oz tweed suit that has a ticket pocket and which I regret doing. Anyone who gets those I think is making a mistake, however, anyone who puts any stock in the fact that someone else has them needs to get their priorities realigned.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Actually I do not. With the sole exception a 19oz tweed suit that has a ticket pocket and which I regret doing.

Anyone who gets those I think is making a mistake, however, anyone who puts any stock in the fact that someone else has them needs to get their priorities realigned.

So, why do you think it's a mistake to get them...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads